Keeping up the Soul Gauge...

Most people will change their play drastically when the opp. is flashing red. They'll go from poking and being somewhat defensive, to using big, powerful, yet unsafe moves. Take advantage of the shit and become aggressive. Make them think twice about changing their game just to CF you.

You may not be able to CF someone from stance but the window is so big you can cancel from stance and then do it... IE I was playing Sig and I did 3 soul crushed someone canceled from stance and CF'd... not to mention the window is sooo big that you can taunt cancel into CF most times

I was testing it out in training mode before I answered.

It can be done.

BD is correct, I was all like "NUH UH! THIS IS THE INTERNETZ IM RIGHT!" so I tested myself, and BD is correct...Maxi CAN CF from his stance game. Guess I never got it in a real match cause this CF crap is still new to me...Im a man of constant half-assed aggression, with a hint hilarity. "RISING DRAGON OF SOMETHING GENERIC!"

The new SG system is yet an issue within itself, advice about keeping your SG that i can give are:

1. Deal with it. Most of the time when people are putting pressure on you, they're wanting you to look to get desperate. CF's don't win matches, they win rounds. Also, when ur SG is completely depleted, your opponent is usually some type of string which will make them miss the opportunity. Most online scrubs will do the same string over again thinking they have some sort of advantage on you.

2. Auto-GI's restore more then normal GI's (not 100% confirmed yet) and yes evasive moves help alot. Block what you know, take what hits you can afford.

3. Just understand that whoever you're playing against, you're better than them...hands down.

I don't think Critical Finish will be very common in competitve play...

After thier Soul Gauge is deplete into flashing red, they can still block one or two big attacks...

Taking a 50/50 shot at a GI is better than blocking and getting a guaranteed CF.

To answer lobo's question, here's the answer from the "official" BradyGames guide on rebuilding SG:

--Successful hits
--Opponent blocking your attack
--Increases over time

And of course we all know that the SG resets to Green after a Crush.

IMO I've never even seen a flashing blue bar (max SG) outside of training mode, and moreso jumping between orange and red.

One thing Maxi users thought would work is that his constant stance shifting and aggressive play would cater to the CF feature...one oversite.

You cannot CF while in stance. Meaning if a Maxi wants to CF he must either:
1. Slow down his pressure game and go for basic mix ups or heavy attacks
2. Continue stance heavy onslaught and go for a CF via moves that take him out of stance.

So for Maxi players, getting you in the red primarily is pushing you to start being aggressive back only to eat something nasty on CH or possible Ring Out.

Are you sure about this? I went into training mode and tested it during a couple of Maxi's stances and the CF came out. :confused:

btw: yoshi's 4b does major souldamage. block 4 of them and you will be blinking. 2 more and you are crushed.
bull dogg and use fram traps and there is great opportunity to crush the gauge.
change up the timing if they are smart enough to start Gi'in but they run the risk of bein Gi'd aswell which can cost them the round.
keep the pressure. ppl like to block after they do a move that is safe. so just use that to punish there soulgauge.
I dont try to finish the gauge off with an attack i Gi to finish the job when the opportunity comes.
I prefer bein next to the person cuz online is COMPLETLY DIFFERENT.:eek:

from what im seeing, the least amount of hits ive seen to break the sg is 6. as of now i know of soph's 4b+k, and now yoshi's 4b, and both are 6 hits to break sg.

is there a notation for "soul gauge break", like sgb? i havent seen one yet. so i'll just say that.

anyways, it would be damned easy to just test all the moves against a guarding opponent and see which are the most effective.

IMO I've never even seen a flashing blue bar (max SG) outside of training mode, and moreso jumping between orange and red.

I see it a lot... GI 2 or 3 moves, and attack inbetween them... if you land a good sized string (3+) hits... you will see it!

Using a repel(:4: :G:) can do wonders for your Gauge.

Me and my friends have seen this restore a full color back.
It's hard to do online though.

If you're in the blinking red and with low life (like 1 or two hits left), you might as well just block and eat a CF, so that your meter goes back to green the next round instead of starting with a red meter.

On the opposite side of things, if your opponent is blinking red with low life, try to finish them off with a throw or low SC damage moves and save the blinking red meter for next round.

DMystic is right.
4G parry increases your gauge (no decrease for them).
6G repels decrease your opponent's (no increase for you).

Anyone trying to say that stance based moves that break the guage are bad you have time to cancel stance to guard and then CF 95% of the time... hell sig can use 3 to break someone open and then cancel and CF... like you have an hour to do the starter so stance or no stance if you can cancel fast and input the CF your gonna get it

Back