[MATCH-UP] Maxi

Heaton

A Soul in the Purgatory
Discuss the Maxi match-up here. A guide can be found here, and the string defense guide can be found here.

I can see 1K being useful against various stance entrances due to fast TC, good damage on CH, and being a body attack (beats stance aGI). Haven't tested specifics but I'd recommend checking it out.

Zone zone zone. Zone as much as possible, as in the case of other quick, pitbull character. Maxi does have unsafe moves but the risk of making a mistake and eating a potential high damage string and other combos make block punishment less useful in this matchup. Most of the time, you wouldn't have Raph up close anyway. Try to draw whiffs and counter hit with Raph's range. Poke him from range ie 6BB and 2K to stop his momentum. Use 2A and FC3B to escape a pin-down if he gets in Raph's face. Space with 6K and maybe 33A.

You know, I tried zoning but his range caught me off guard. It's not like Natsu: she's got few long range moves and they're pretty crappy. Maxi's got a couple of long range horizontals that lead into strong combos.

I think that I need to go through his movelist to find his dangerous ranged moves. I'll post when I get to the drawing board (which will be a long time from now...).

It's not that bad really, you probably just need to get used to him.

Also when you know he's about to attack, sidestep 4B kills most of his options. Actually I figured it's pretty good against most of the cast.

Yeah, I figured half of the battle is learning his moveset, since matchup ignorance against him is almost a guaranteed win. Like I said, I gotta hit the books.

This is a match up I've been having considerable trouble with. I'm fairly knowledgeable on simple stance snuffs such as 2Ks, 2As, and 4Bs but if the Maxi is playing a certain way (IE WR B+K and 6A+B for years.) I start to really struggle given the awkward pushback where I cannot really make them stop with something like a 3A and then I punt a dog in annoyance. But I realize as Raph, I shouldn't really be in Maxi's face too often unless there is a large amount of momentum on my side. However, when he approaches due to getting sick of my spacing, those same two attacks seem to snuff my keep out moves if I'm actively trying to keep him out.

Should I just back up for years and constrict my neutral game to very basic pokes? I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this match up.

I also know that B+K can counter WR B+K and 6A+B but I suck.

Also, if you B+K 6A+B brave edge and he goes into left inner B hold, both swipes will whiff completely, if you press a button you will be smacked but if you stand completely still the B will whiff and you can counter attack.

Might be easier to identify which exact setups that Maxi is using 6A+B and wrB+K on.

Personally, wrB+K is giving me a lot of trouble because that move tracks like crazy. You pretty much have to time the QS as late as possible, as wrB+K will track 8WR and if you QS too early you'll have to eat it on block which is no risk to maxi.

Same reason why moves like asta's 22B BE annoy me so much

Right side needle kills Maxi's WR B+K or variants for tons of damage.

Edit : I totally took that from Zanaken, and it's actually right side.

Back