Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Raphael

Could really use some help with this match-up. Always feels like an uphill battle because of the range and the speed of his B's. Does anyone have any tips for interrupting his B strings like what moves will punish the best? Or tips on how to sidestep them effectively?

6K,K seems to work pretty well because it is fairly quick and closes the distance that raph can create.
If they are not familiar with Leixia or you want to force them to block lows 11A,A can be useful. (Not sure how safe it is on block)

I think getting him on the ground and forcing wake ups is important in this match-up.

I listed all the punishment data for Raph in the punishment thread. 4A+B seems really good in this matchup, at least against certain moves.

4A+B is incredibly helpful against many of his moves. Just learn which moves can be GIed by 4A+B and that's half the battle. Also, quick stepping to Raph's left (if your charcter is on the left, quickstepping in front, and if your character is on the right, quickstepping to the back) is handy because if the Raph is inexperienced, he'll likely whiff a lot which allows you to punish easily.

One interesting thing to note about this match-up is that Raphael can punish quite a few of Leixia's moves that other characters can't thanks to 6BB. For example, 3B, 33_99BB and 22_88B are usually safe on block due to pushback, but not against Raphael - he can 6BB all of them even if they're spaced well!

But yeah, knowing which strings you can 4A+B in-between for auto-GI is extremely helpful. I'm afraid I don't know much more about the match-up than that...

When Raph goes in SE, 4A+B beats both SE A and SE B for about 100 damage with meter.

The timing is what I would call very hard but achievable with practice.

When Raph goes in SE, 4A+B beats both SE A and SE B for about 100 damage with meter.

The timing is what I would call very hard but achievable with practice.
How bad are Raph's SE moves on JG? Seems like this would be extremely tough to pull off... mostly considering how bad the aGI window is on 4A+B.

Also found something fairly useful against Raph. If he lands 22B~2A combo, Leixia's 2K can beat out his main mixup (Throw/66B) as well as duck under a bunch of other mids. I'll have to re-test to find out exactly which ones.

Raph is an unknow character ( in france I don't know in state ), so it's some expérience of matchs against " Gohan " the french raph player ;

Good points for Raph :

- His 22/88B can't really be wiff punisable with Leixi's 3B or othe launcher, because his max range is too long for Leixia ( off course you can step punish it with 22/88B, 3B or 33B ).

So you have to use 66AA or 66K to wiff punish it.

He can't punish 2K without metter, Leixia can, the two chars ar the same to the mind game 2K/2A -> 2K / backdash, Leixia can have a litle more damage on her 3B if her use CE.
Raph have a good 44B, safer than Leixia's own.

Random 3B is forbiden to Leixia, because Raph punish it good ( 6BBB/ CE )
I don't know if he can punish WS B BE too if he JG the 3rd hit but I think it can be interesting, maybe 6BBB or CE.

If I remeber he have just one mid move in prepa stance -> prep K ( -20 Block ) or prep K BE ( you can be crouch on the 2nd hit ).

And all the prepa can be stepped in Leixia's right if I remeber good.

+Prepa is punishable with 6KK / CE after a blocked move ( be carful to 66B prepa and 6BB prepa ).

Raph 3A is punissable by 6KK, his 66A by AA.

I think there is just 4-5 think Leixia have to be carful against raph :

-RO/ Wall -> grab B, if I remeber Raph hav'nt got any RO mid.
Be carful the dangerous direction when his B and A grab RO.

-Step 33K BE, its a really dangerous move, I often take it in my wake up pressure the first time I played vs Raph.
It make Leixia fear to use her 66BB in antibackdash.
You can JG second hit but it's so difficult in game :/
33KB version is unsafe -> 6KK.

-Agi in prepa stance, prepa must be interrupted by kicks or CE.

-Raph's punish game ; Be carful for exemple after Leixia's CE don't do 2K/3B mix up if he have metter, he punish all of the mix up for 7X dmg.

-GB game and grab game ; I think Leixia have not to be passive against him, he have a good grab game ( you mix right tech with back tech after all his grab if I remeber ) + he can brek the guard quickly if you are too much passif.
+Leixia have no reason to be passif , he is always steppable , his antistep have wrost damage and are punissable ( be carful to 22/88K, in CH he have a great combos. This move is hight. ).

For sure Leixia is in avantage, but Raph is really bored at longue range.

-

his antistep have wrost damage and are punissable ( be carful to 22/88K, in CH he have a great combos. This move is hight. )
His anti-step isn't all that bad, honestly. Sure he doesn't do Cervantes or Pyrrha damage, but anti-step moves don't have to be super high damage to be effective. As long as he has a good ranged 2A, a safe mid in 3A, and his AA/WS A he can still be annoying. (I think 1K is ok at catching step too, but I'm not 100% sure.)

He can't punish 2K without metter, Leixia can
Raph's wrB and FC B are i13 and i14 mids respectively.
Random 3B is forbiden to Leixia, because Raph punish it good ( 6BBB/ CE )
6BBB isn't a punish because its only a NCC. He'll do the 16 damage from 6BB and mix you up with either 6BB or 6B(B)~prep pressure
If I remeber he have just one mid move in prepa stance -> prep K ( -20 Block ) or prep K BE ( you can be crouch on the 2nd hit ).
half right. It's only -16 on block, but thats still within a decent punish for leixia
+Prepa is punishable with 6KK / CE after a blocked move ( be carful to 66B prepa and 6BB prepa ).
6KK can beat most options even if Raph doesnt' enter prep if you recognize it, but you are gambling against his prepBBB or his prep BB BE on CH if you attempt to 6KK after his better prep entries (being 66(b), 3(B), 44a(B).
Raph 3A is punissable by 6KK,
whiff punishable, but not block punishable.
his antistep have wrost damage and are punissable ( be carful to 22/88K, in CH he have a great combos. This move is hight. ).
-
Worst anti-step probably by design, but that doesnt' mean it won't be effective at stopping you from circling around him. 22A pretty much puts raph at +10 which means you are going to be at least eating a mixup or more guard meter damage and get pushed out. Typically his horizontals don't lead to meaty combos after his horizontal hits, but he'll use the + frames on his horizontals to punish you next reaction (whether it be a second sidestep or something else).
(I think 1K is ok at catching step too, but I'm not 100% sure.)
Short ranged, tracks to one side, leads to about 55 CH damage. Its more useful as a TC then a sidestep, so it can option select against someone who is prone to stepping or trying to interrupt with AA

Back