Matchup Vs. Any Character with Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWOBBUFFET

[08] Mercenary
hey guys, i'm having trouble going up against characters like Xiba and Hilde....characters that can play keepaway.

Any advice on how to close the distance since Pyrrha is a close range fighter?

1. Backstep to make an attack of theirs whiff. Opponents usually throw out moves that are at the edge of their range when playing keep-away. If you are able to punish that will make them less inclined to throw crap out at range and you can move forward relatively safely. Alternatively if you try this and are not getting whiff punish from it, then when they miss, just run in. This idea also works with sidestep if opponent is poking at range with verticals

2. Block something then run forward a short distance. Less effective but still useful and much easier to do. It's usually easy to block a ranged poke on reaction and you tend to get a lot of frame advantage for it. This lets you safely start running at the opponent (6[6]) Depending on opponent's disposition you'll either want to run forward a short distance and guard (if you see another attack coming) or run forward into your poking range and try to establish your game. If opponent really freezes when they see your run, just run all the way up until you are in throw range.

3. Try to use your somewhat longer range moves to poke so they think they need to block or take other defensive action at range. moves like 4A, AS B(careful, unsafe on block) 6B+K, 3A (also unsafe in a few match ups) and certain others have better range than your other moves. Even if its a limited tool set, showing a willingness to play at that range will make opponent take you seriously, so again you can run towards them when you think they might block or take defensive actions (like sidestep/backstep). Be careful when applying this to not let opponent do #1 to you though.

Against long range fighters, the following all helps:

Once you have a life lead, you can sorta play the keep away game yourself. If you run away, they will have to eventually come forwards to attack you (especially on the infinite stages). When they do so, this is your chance to poke them out of their advance, or to back dash more and punish their whiff if they try to run up and attack (236B is ideal if they are in range for it). 3A has deceptively good range. 22_88_44B+K has decent range, same with 44A/44B if you are already sidestepping/walking backwards and they whiff. The longer range fighters tend to be slower than you.

If you don't have a life lead, you'll need to be more patient and try to force them to whiff something to give you a chance to move in. Side stepping at range will let you dodge a vertical poke, which is your opportunity to run in and start your offense (66B and 66A are good moves here, you can whiff punish some stuff with 66B, and 66A will stuff highs/sidestepping from your opponent). Forward movement is rather fast in this game. You can also run up and guard, if you block their poke at you, you'll probably be at frame advantage to continue your advance afterwards anyways.
If they try to run away from you, chase after them (until you are in their attack range again), and try to again bait out whiffs by back/side stepping. If they don't fall for that, then you'll probably be able to run in and finally attack yourself again.
236K is a bit of a weird move, it'll dash forwards and crouch under lots of stuff, rather slow/unsafe though the startup does kinda look like an empty 236 angel step. Its usefullness depends heavily on who your opponent is. If they don't punish or see this, then abuse it.

Just guard reduces/prevents push back on attacks, or at the very least buys you frames to dash in on, that will help you get in closer if you just guard something at range.

Once you are in, keep applying the pressure and don't let them get away. And don't purposefully knock them far away from yourself either if you can avoid it (something like 33B BT B+K is a horrible idea if you aren't going to ring out with it for example).

If Algol tries to play keep away with his bubbles, your A+B auto-gi can deflect them for free.

thanks guys for the advice. i will make sure to go into Training mode and set up the CPU for these long range situations.

i make have a few more questions about this match up

I've been win a few matches just by back stepping and taking control of whiff moves lol
But then I played a Nightmare and got........ O_O so much Soul Edge lol

Nightmare is a little different because he has a lot of range and is one of the few characters who can stop sidestep even at that range. However he can't be safe while doing so. if you can block a long range horizontal of his, you probably get a punish NS B or DNS B depending on range. Basically vary block and sidestep at range to either produce damage or get him to stop throwing range moves, then advance if he stops.

Nightmare is a little different because he has a lot of range and is one of the few characters who can stop sidestep even at that range. However he can't be safe while doing so. if you can block a long range horizontal of his, you probably get a punish NS B or DNS B depending on range. Basically vary block and sidestep at range to either produce damage or get him to stop throwing range moves, then advance if he stops.

Regular Pyrrha doesn't have a DNS B though.

Kane made a good punishment video for Pyrrha vs Nightmare: http://8wayrun.com/threads/pyrrha-punishment-videos.11319/#post-413074

If you are good with her :2::3::6: stance and the sidesteps for it......getting close to an enemy with range will get easier.

My problem with nightmare isn't always getting in range. Its that good nightmares will only use moves that are pretty hard to punish or with a very high risk vs reward when I get in there. I swear Nightmare is my bane. I can beat most characters consistently, but for me even a decent nightmare becomes a monumental task.

Hmm..this may sound stupid but.
How about you play a lil bit with nighty so ya can see, what relies to play with his game.
I always hit the character up if i have problems with/against him/her...just to see how he/she works.
Just give it a shot.

My problem with nightmare isn't always getting in range. Its that good nightmares will only use moves that are pretty hard to punish or with a very high risk vs reward when I get in there. I swear Nightmare is my bane. I can beat most characters consistently, but for me even a decent nightmare becomes a monumental task.
Most players of Nightmare rather play rushdown than the range game. Depending on what moves he's throwing out 4B can duck under highs and set up your most punishing combos. If he's sidestepping, use 66A. If he's throwing his 1[A] out a lot, just hop over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back