Maxi Video Discussion Thread

hotnikkelz

johNNy blaZe
Discuss vids here.

I'll start with Fhwoarang's skill vid

sequence 1 vs Cervy
66K in juggles, launches opponent higher. In wakes 33B is uninterruptable. The rest is self explanatory

sequence 2 vs Ivy
Post 66B4, psl1 LO BK and LO K are uninterruptable on tech. Depending on how they tech, you get off axis blocked LO K which can lead to a BT B+K which naturally is hard to interrupt in that situation. 236B is trap vs back tech.

sequence 3 vs Asta
Shows the rare combo 2B+KB second hit CH only -> A+BG. A+BG gives high adv wakes in RC. psl1 -> RO B is pretty uninterruptable on tech. From there RO B(CH) -> psl1 RO K is combo, and the canned 2A tech traps ALL directions. The jump foward sets up BT when they tech and A+BG is combo after BT 2K.
Keep in mind after RO K2A htis RCC A+BG is combo and if they lie there, then RO KB is combo.

sequence 4 vs Algol (Fhwoarang's least favorite sequence :p)
RO A -> BL A is good against ppl who have been bombarded with BL Bs. On hit BL A gives +13, so you can safely psl3 to RO. BL A -> LI AA is uninterrutable on hit. LI AA on hit, BL B is hard to interrupt, so u can land BL KK. Basically this shows how useful BL can be as a 50/50 when in close range. His intention was to let the second hit of LI AA CH to show BL KK being a tech trap.

sequence 5 vs Raph
self explanatory wall shit

sequence 6 vs Amy
2B+KB is a whopping -8 on hit. The 1B trading with second hit of Amy's 6BB was to exhibit how early 1B tech crouches. an i15 mid that TCs this early = thanks. The trade gives Maxi a lot of adv. 6A is uninterruptable. From there the uber rare 66BG -> 66B combo on opponent's BT to finish.

sequence 7 vs Taki
LI -> neutral 6A is pretty uninterruptable. The main point though was to show A+K as an evade vs such UB traps as well as the wall splat to Maxi's right allowing for the 4BBK combo finish.

sequence 8 vs Tira
4BBK blocked on right side of opponent, leaves Maxi close to opponent with opponent in BT. 9K -> 33bA -> RC A is combo. From there jump over wakes are functional due to the RC A slam down. You can mix with BT 2K due to the fear of BT B+K (both options pretty much uninterruptable). 33B is uninterruptable after the BT 2K knockdown, and makes 33bA a tricky tool to use in wakeup. After WL A CHs, u get the same type of jump over wakeups as the RC A slamdown. Essentially a sequence to show places where u can use the jump to setup BT.

sequence 9 vs X
Self explanatory.

sequence 10 vs Cass
44K is a solid move. Safe, forces crouch on block, tracks decently to maxi's left, gives combos on hit, does well vs soul gauge. GI setup to 44AB viable if opponent doesn't reGI. RO B followup is unavoidable post hit btw. BB psl3 will GI any high mid horizontal retaliation between i10 and i15. RO B is guaranteed (if they don't reGi) and on that wall splat RC A is combo. RO B is a powerful attack, in the open, on normal hit RC B must be blocked, you can use this adv for loops. The highlight of this sequence though was to show the rare RO B combo.

sequence 11 vs Tira
Wall shit as well as the 4[A+B] -> 33bA -> RC A combo.

sequence 12 vs Amy
Shows that you can jump over Amy's 236

sequence 13 vs Sophie (my favorite sequence)
4B psl2 LI B is fast enough to evade Sophie's B on block. From there LI B -> 33B is combo and tech trap in ALL directions. If Sophie techs left then it 33B launches and we get the ultra uber cool, manly BT B+K combo for a very embarassing ringout. I've pulled this off in a real match, and i felt like a god. Keep in mind that combo works if 33B hits on a left stepper, it's imperative that you look out to land it.

sequence 14 vs Yoshi
6A+B psl1 RC B is unavoidable and uninterruptable on tech. A+BG -> RC A is unitnerruptable on hit and depending on distance sets up a RC B nicely. This time, a dupe with WL vs defensive options into WL BBBA is viable since post RC B, LO BK is uninterruptable.

sequence 15 vs Taki
Self explanatory. You can run under her hover. BT B+K -> A+BG is combo.

sequence 16 vs Nightmare
You can jump over GS...it's even better if he does FC throw. The highlight however was the psl3 GI to BT B+K. I admit, this one is a bit outlandish, but still...cool as fuck. There is some merit however as it shows another rare combo.

sequence 17 vs Siegfried
Sieg's B:4 gives him adv, and a 3B is uninterruptable for the most part. His 3K is also uninterruptable, however not for Maxi. Maxi's WS A is a bit special, it's i15 and evades and TCs, very powerful vs forced crouch situations. That's its power. Similarly he could've used Asta's 4 at ring edge trap. WS A works well there too. WS A on hit, depending on the range it hits sets up a virtually uninterruptable RC B on tech (RC A also uninterruptable). Since LO BK is uninterruptable, then you can loop for mixups.

sequence 18 vs Sets
Wall shit

sequence 19 vs Mitsu
You can jump over MST stuff. Delayed A+BG is tech trap after BT B+K. The rest is self explanatory.

sequence 20 vs Sophie
The beauty that is WS A. RC A cancel wakeups are viable as RC A is uninterruptable on tech. On blocked 33bA, RC A is hard to interrupt vs most characters. If you used RC aB instead, BL B is uninterruptable vs most characters. Basically a demonstration of how powerful RC lockdown is in wakeup where RC A is uninterruptable

sequence 21 vs Amy
2K is -4 on hit, 44A trades with Amy's 6BB. Demonstrates the TC ability of 44A essentially. From the trade, Maxi is at significant adv. 236K is hard to interrupt and also TCs. Half whiff 236K -> A+BG is techtrap (if all hit then it's combo). RC B setup -> loop. Smart players would use defensive options after RC B is blocked....eg Amy's autoGI. A loop to BL A is useful here because 1) they're close range 2) the loop avoids being autoGI 3) it stops potential steps. The rest is self explanatory. I would've preferred if he showed 6B: instead...but it eludes him :D

sequence 22 vs Taki
Basic combo to wallsplat combo

sequence 23 vs Mitsu
Another demonstration of jumping over mitsu's MST. As mentioned before RC A is difficult to interrupt post RC aA. RC A trades with i14 attacks (at range i13 attacks trade). Remember RC KK would've TC Mitsu's high retaliation. The trade from RC A(CH) opens up combo possibilities. 3B RO B combo -> delayed RC KK:K is a very good tech trap. 3B RO B combo opens up so much wakeup opportunities, i'm not going to cover it here, the highlight is the delayed RC KK:K tech trap. To delay RC KK:K you can hold forward SLIGHTLY and then do the K immediately before he changes stance.

sequence 24 vs Sophie
Maxi's 9K is a slow attack, you can use regular jump for situations like these where u'll be rewarded with even more potential damage as this one shown. Delayed BL KK is tech trap after his left side throw. (BL B is combo)

sequence 26 vs Ivy
Wall shit

sequence 27 vs Yoshi
I hated 3A, but after toying with it a bit, i realized how very well it tracked to maxi's left. This is a demonstration of how well it really tracks. Keep in mind 3AG is safe at -7, and 3A -> BL but unsafe. Combining the 2 options would make 3A a safe attack to use period. The RC A (CH) trade also gives opportunity to land the 33B combo. Apart from LO K, there are other potentially more damaging setups for post 33B(CH), i may discuss it in another post.

sequence 28 vs Asta
Self explanatory i think. 6A+B gives uninterruptable wakes when you loop. psl3 LO BK is uninterruptable. Discussions with Fhwoarang led us to believe that a mix of psl3 LO natural shift to BL KK, and psl3 LO psl3 RO B is a good 50/50 in places where LO attacks are uninterruptable. Although the mixup was not shown here, the intention was to show that even through that loop RO B is troublesome to interrupt.

sequence 29 vs Mitsu
4AB -> 2B+KB doesn't work vs tech left. That however makes 66B+K combo as well as open up the 66B4 tech trap.

sequence 30 vs Hilde
Wall shit

sequence 31 vs Yoshi
self explanatory.

sequence 32 vs Mitsu (my least favorite sequence)
Simply demonstration showing that u can delay WL attacks

sequence 33 vs Yoshi
3B's TC works best when at disadvantage. Depending on range, psl3 -> LI is uninterruptable and unavoidable if they tech. From there you can dupe flinch duckers with a psl3 loop to LO -> natural shift BL KK. Refer to sequence 28 where BL psl3 x2 -> RO B was done, this is the mix. Remember most of us wouldn't mind doing BL KK directly after LI is blocked....this loop throws off their timing. They don't expect to see a BL, after you've looped from BL.

sequence 34 vs Asta
The highlight is to show that B+KBBBBA non jf version can combo with BT B+K after stuns

sequence 35 vs Yoshi
4BBK on BT opponent leaves Maxi BT. From there his 2A clashes with opposing fast 2As, but he retains adv.
33B(CH) psl1 RC A is combo for slamdown. Perfect setup for 4[A+B]. The power of 4[A+B] in wakeup is not to be underestimated in situations where u're at high adv, case in point.

sequence 36 and 37 vs Taki
LI bG LI on block gives guaranteed BL B and BL A. However psl3 LO BK interrupts i15 and slower but trades with i13.

still blurry? feel free to ask.

i would like to thank you both greatly. just the video alone was enough to give me a few ideas and set ups and a few techs to try out.

and now with the details too it makes even more sence, and taught me several things i didnt know (for instnace 33B on left step = manly BT B+K)

i used a few moves in combat yesterday and felt improved, today i feel enllightened and cant wait to try some stuff like using PSL3 more, i very rarely use it but i see its value in some situstions now.

so thankyou for the analysis and thankyou Fhwoarang for the amazing vid

I just want to comment a few things during my experience recording these sequences.

sequence 1 vs Cervy
66K in juggles, launches opponent higher. In wakes 33B is uninterruptable. The rest is self explanatory

I want to say that it's hard (not JF like, just difficult) to land BT B+K when Cervantes does a reversal teleport on you. You must wait until Maxi reaches the BT status (which happens before Cervantes appears on your back). If you do it wrong, Cervantes can do a reversal teleport AGAIN on your BT B+K and punish you.

I don't know how, but Cervantes can do a teleport and instantly appear doing a BT A+B (or is it B+K?), the move that stabs you and he gets free combos. You can use PSL5_4 to avoid that shit, but your BT B+K won't connect due to his fast recovery. Try to use a G cancel or get away from him using a loop attack.

But the whole point of this is that you can work your defense very well in BT (more than most of the characters). Plume already said that you can do PSL5 PSL1 and you get, for a moment, the PLS3 GI state. PSL4 and PSL5 avoid much better and are much faster than in previous games. I'm not saying that you should go BT intentionally, is just you have to be aware of everything you can perform while looping in BT with Maxi.

sequence 3 vs Asta
Shows the rare combo 2B+KB second hit CH only -> A+BG. A+BG gives high adv wakes in RC. psl1 -> RO B is pretty uninterruptable on tech. From there RO B(CH) -> psl1 RO K is combo, and the canned 2A tech traps ALL directions. The jump foward sets up BT when they tech and A+BG is combo after BT 2K.
Keep in mind after RO K2A htis RCC A+BG is combo and if they lie there, then RO KB is combo.

This is an important sequence. When you land a+bG on a grounded enemy, you can attempt to RC B or PSL RO B, and they won't be able to interrupt you if they try to stand up and attack. What I and Lolo found while recording this sequence is that if you try to stand up WITHOUT using the G button (no tech roll after the a+bG hit), ONLY pressing the attack button (A, B or K or 6A or 4B), you will stand up faster and you will interrupt both RC B or PSL1 RO B. Remember to do this against other characters as well. I didn't know about this stand up method. However, if Maxi does RC A, NOTHING can interrupt him.

About the jump forward BT set up after RO K2A. Only works when the enemy tech rolls left or right. However, if they tech roll backwards or to the left, you get a free 33B juggle.

sequence 4 vs Algol (Fhwoarang's least favorite sequence :p)
RO A -> BL A is good against ppl who have been bombarded with BL Bs. On hit BL A gives +13. His intention was to let the second hit of LI AA CH to show BL KK being a tech trap.

BL A is -4 on block into LI. If any any chance your opponent blocks your BL A, do a LI . You must charge LI a little to avoid BBs and AAs. If you only do LI B, the second A or the second B will hit you. BL A is unsafe, of course, but not that unsafe. You have PSL5_4, and LI B_ for your defense. Use LI A against slow attacks that attempt to stop your LI . Don't abuse BL A, you can work your defense, but still there are lots of guaranteed hits on Maxi (mostly 2As and fast horizontal mids and lows).

sequence 5 vs Raph
self explanatory wall shit

Finish all your wall combos with 4BBK, 2B+KB. Don't bother with a second wall splat. 4BBK is the best ender.

sequence 6 vs Amy
2B+KB is a whopping -8 on hit. The 1B trading with second hit of Amy's 6BB was to exhibit how early 1B tech crouches. an i15 mid that TCs this early = thanks. The trade gives Maxi a lot of adv. 6A is uninterruptable. From there the uber rare 66BG -> 66B combo on opponent's BT to finish.

Doing 2B+KB, 1B against Amy is really useful in actual matches. 1B tech crouches in 3 frames, keep that in mind. That's his fastes tech crouch move. Also, if you are against Taki, who has a 10 frames A, 1B still avoids it after you land 2B+KB. But I wouldn't say you avoid it because Maxi tech crouches, I would say it is because of the range. This sequence also shows that Amy's 6BB impacts in 11 and then in 23~24.

There is something REALLY weird with 66BG. There is no way you can do two 66BG in a row. The second 66B will always take Maxi to LO, even if you pressed 66bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. The same happens after CH 8WR L A and RO K[K] (IIRC). Namco doesn't want Maxi to have awesome wake ups. 66BG, 66B also works near a wall, without wall splat.

sequence 7 vs Taki
LI -> neutral 6A is pretty uninterruptable. The main point though was to show A+K as an evade vs such UB traps as well as the wall splat to Maxi's right allowing for the 4BBK combo finish.

LI G is +2 on block (+12 into BL, so BL cancels in 10 frames). Taki did a BB. Maxi's 6A impacts in 15. Besides that, I LOVE to do RO A, BL B, RO A, BL B on opponents near a wall. They fear to crouch because of the RO AK wall splat. Always attempt this on a enemy on the wall. But keep in mind that BL B is +2 on hit.

sequence 8 vs Tira
4BBK blocked on right side of opponent, leaves Maxi close to opponent with opponent in BT. 9K -> 33bA -> RC A is combo. After WL A CHs, u get the same type of jump over wakeups as the RC A slamdown. Essentially a sequence to show places where u can use the jump to setup BT.

Remember about landing 4BBK on enemy's right side. Before knowing this, I always got my enemies in BT and I never knew why. Keep in mind that BT attacks are slower than regular attacks.

After CH WL A, I'm not sure, but if they tech roll backwars, I think you still get the BT trap (if you are close enough). Jumping forward works better when they tech roll to the left or the right. Try to jump forward after 236K, CH WL A, RO K2A, RC A (near a wall). It doesn't work, however, after 4ABG or after 4BBK, which is a shame because those are more common attacks. But you try it anyway, jumping forward in neutral doesn't take too much time.

sequence 10 vs Cass
44K is a solid move. GI setup to 44AB viable if opponent doesn't reGI. RO B followup is unavoidable post hit btw. BB psl3 will GI any high mid horizontal retaliation between i10 and i15. RO B is guaranteed (if they don't reGi) and on that wall splat RC A is combo. The highlight of this sequence though was to show the rare RO B combo.

With this sequence I found that 6G is +20. No +19 neither +21. If you want to force your opponent to GI, use 44AB (hard to do), 66B or 6A+B. Those all are guaranteed if they don't GI, and they are 20 frames or faster. 4AB, however, which impacts in 21, can be blocked.

If you get LO PSL3 RO to GI, RO A is guaranteed (they can't GI back). If you get RO PSL3 LO to GI, LO BK is guaranteed, they can't GI the LO B.

sequence 12 vs Amy
Shows that you can jump over Amy's 236

It's hard to land BT B+K against her BT B+K. You need to perform the BT B+K before her. If you jump her 236, I recommend you to use BT K_B or something fast.

sequence 14 vs Yoshi
6A+B psl1 RC B is unavoidable and uninterruptable on tech. A+BG -> RC A is unitnerruptable on hit and depending on distance sets up a RC B nicely.

Be careful using PSL1 RC B after 6A+B. If they lay on the ground, you will jump over them and you will get punished. I sometimes do 6A+B, PSL2 RO KA. The RO K misses, but the A part interrupts everything after their tech roll (everything that doesn't tech crouch). But the A is followed by a fast mid, so don't worry about being punished hardly.

sequence 15 vs Taki
Self explanatory. You can run under her hover. BT B+K -> A+BG is combo.

If you look carefuly, Taki didn't do any Hover attack. While recording, one of her Hover attacks managed to hit even if you were already behind her. Is still possible to land a BT B+K, just be fast or use a throw.

sequence 16 vs Nightmare
The highlight however was the psl3 GI to BT B+K. I admit, this one is a bit outlandish, but still...cool as fuck.

Just keep in mind you can do this. Don't search for it, but remember that you can do it. If you whiff a 236B on wake ups, you can work your defense very well with LI _B_bG or PSL5_4 or BT LI B+K or PSL1 to move forward.

sequence 19 vs Mitsu
You can jump over MST stuff. Delayed A+BG is tech trap after BT B+K. The rest is self explanatory.

Actually, that's his 66B. =P You can jump over his 33B easily too, but due to his jump, he is out of the BT B+K range. Switch to offensive if you jump his 33B.

sequence 21 vs Amy
2K is -4 on hit, 44A trades with Amy's 6BB. Demonstrates the TC ability of 44A essentially. From the trade, Maxi is at significant adv. 236K is hard to interrupt and also TCs.

I know this trade works because of the trade with 2B+KB, 1B. 1B impacts in 15 and, with -8, trades with her 6BB. So 8 + 15 = 23. 44A impacts in 20 and 2K is -4 on hit (but I believe it is -3, or 2B+KB is -7 on hit, or Lolo made 6BB one frame slower).

Anyway, is cool that 1B tech crouches so fast. But it's a shame that such TC state lasts so little. After a blocked 4BBK or LO K, when you are at +2 and +3, respectively, 1B doesn't beat fast AAs (3B fails too). However, even at +2 or +3, 44A BEATS fast AAs (Yoshi's AA or Amy's 6BB, 11 frames), so that's the good thing about 44A, it tech crouches more time and closer to its impact frame, closer than 3B or 1B.

sequence 23 vs Mitsu
Another demonstration of jumping over mitsu's MST. 3B RO B combo opens up so much wakeup opportunities, i'm not going to cover it here, the highlight is the delayed RC KK:K tech trap. To delay RC KK:K you can hold forward SLIGHTLY and then do the K immediately before he changes stance.

I specially LOVE to jump over Mitsu's Mist when they are all over you pressing 66 while you are on the ground. Keep in mind you only can jump over people when you are close to them, or because the move they perform they get close to you.

To perform the CH 3B, RO B, RC KK:K tech roll trap, you need to delay RC K. You can stay still if you want, but it's not easy to see or know wheter Maxi is still or not in RC. You what you do is a fake PSL1, which is RC PSL1 RC. That means you press 6, Maxi starts the PSL1 animation, but you press K before he enters the RO. Is not that hard.

I was discussing with JB the posibility of using this fake PSL to do mix ups with BL PSL1 BL KK and BL PSL1 RC A; or RC PSL2 RC A and RC PSL2 BL KK. But he says it's easy to make a mistake. Try it yourselves and post your thoughts about it.

sequence 24 vs Sophie
Maxi's 9K is a slow attack, you can use regular jump for situations like these where u'll be rewarded with even more potential damage as this one shown. Delayed BL KK is tech trap after his left side throw. (BL B is combo)

This is another demostration of the use of fake PSL. In order to make this tech roll trap easier, you need to BL PSL1 BL KK. That gives you the right delay to land BL KK on their standing state during the tech roll. If you do it too soon, you get a ground hit. Keep in mind that a right side throw into BL gives you a lot of advantage. You are free to go for PSL1 RC aA_RC B wake ups or PSL2 RO mix ups.

sequence 27 vs Yoshi
I hated 3A, but after toying with it a bit, i realized how very well it tracked to maxi's left. The RC A (CH) trade also gives opportunity to land the 33B combo.

As with most of trade type thigs, your advantage in a trade depends on what you traded with, because everything stuns you different amout of frames. If Yoshi trades with 2A, you can't do a 33B; if he does a 3K, you can do it.

sequence 30 vs Hilde
Wall shit
4AB, LO BK, 2B+KB is the most important Maxi wall combo. It does about 100 damage, always work, doesn't need CH, is not character dependant and is very easy. Do it all the time. In the video, I finished with a+bG instead 2B+KB and it did 92 damage; imagine if I would had done 2B+KB.

sequence 32 vs Mitsu (my least favorite sequence)
Simply demonstration showing that u can delay WL attacks

You have plenty of time to land either WL A_BBA if the enemy attempts to GI you soon. Remember that too. Delay WL attacks.

sequence 34 vs Asta
The highlight is to show that B+KBBBBA non jf version can combo with BT B+K after stuns

Actually, this was an accident. I didn't know you could BT B+K after a non JF B+KBBBA combo. Is the stun that makes the BT B+K possible, not the JF.

sequence 35 vs Yoshi
4BBK on BT opponent leaves Maxi BT. From there his 2A clashes with opposing fast 2As, but he retains adv.
33B(CH) psl1 RC A is combo for slamdown. Perfect setup for 4[A+B]. The power of 4[A+B] in wakeup is not to be underestimated in situations where u're at high adv, case in point.

The beautiful thing about landing RC A as juggle. Even if they do a just ukemi, 4[A+B] is still free, and jumping forward still leads to BT mix ups. Land as much RC A in the air as you can. And remember to do 4[A+B] after BT 2K, it works there too.

sequence 36 and 37 vs Taki
LI bG LI on block gives guaranteed BL B and BL A. However psl3 LO BK interrupts i15 and slower but trades with i13.

LI bG->LI, LI is +18 on block, +8 if you cancel. Again, BL takes 10 frames to cancel. I personally use this when they are rolling on the ground, I just chase them with LI bG cancels. If you cancel LI B twice, then you won't get the megadvantage.

I hope this helps. =) Thanks for all your comments on my video, I'm really glad you liked it.

whoa, that was a lotta work miguelito. There's not much for me to add really lol.

Maxi players need to investigate the wakeup from 3B(CH) RO B. Against someone who constantly evades your options

-> RC aB is unavoidable on tech, and uninterruptable
-> psl1 psl2 RC A is unavoidable on tech, and uninterruptable
-> psl1 psl3 LO K is unavoidable on tech, and uninterruptable (they can duck of course)
-> psl4 LI is very difficult to avoid and interrupt on tech

Man, this video really kicks ass. After beefing up my maxi skills i can appreciate some of this stuff for what it is. No surprise it kicks ass, since both of you are old skill GI'ers who worked on the old skill projects. I'm really impressed and I hope to see more vids from both of you. And the really detailed writeups are the best parts. Mad props all around.

what should i follow 44AB up with?

I usually back step and make them whiff but are there more solid options?

RO A is a common move to do after 44AB. It has amazing frames, but its high, so watch out. After the RO A you get BL B/K/RO Ak[k] games as well.

Well RO B is uninterruptable for the most part. What u do depends on what your opponent does. I personally cancel or go into RC stuff. i MAY go in BL sometimes, but rarely.

Back