[May 12, 2012] Season's Beatings: Summer Slam: (Columbus, Ohio)

Sluch

[10] Knight
Godlike Entertainment presents:
SB.jpg

road-to-evo-ver3.png

Season’s Beatings: The Mecca of Marvel and Origin of IFC Yipes' “IT’S MAHVEL BABY!” Six years of All-Star players and Dream-Team Special Events, this year is teaming up with Road to EVO 2012, presented by Chris Hatala (Ghaleon), Harmon Tam (nomrah) and FUGEE.

And: WIN a trip to EVO by attending SB! One lucky winner from North America will win a plane ticket to EVO 2012! You're automatically entered when you pre-register -- stay tuned for more raffle details (and many more prizes) in the coming months!

DSC0466-L.jpg

Pre-Registeration: coming soon!

Facebook: Season’s Beatings Tournament Series
Twitter: gdlkEnt
YouTube: SeasonsBeatingsGDLK

Q. Is this the only Season’s Beatings this year?
A. No way! Our main, fall event is also in the works, where we put together insane special-event grudge matches and our usual crazy FGC spectacle.

Q. When will pre-reg be up?
A. End of January.

Q. Isn’t this the same weekend as Shadowloo Showdown and Toryuken?
A. Yes; we expect to attract talent from across North America as usual, losing only a few names to the Australian epic and Canada's major -- and SB and SS together especially will be a stream monster’s dream being opposite time zones!

Q. “Summer Slam”?
A. This event is replacing the annual “Summer Slam” regional we’ve run the last few years. Just refer to it as “Season’s Beatings” for ease and brevity. No relation to Summer Jam!

DSC1416-L.jpg

DSC1485-L.jpg

Wish to have your organization featured on-site or in front of the millions-strong viewership?

Contact us at hatalawriting@gmail.com.

When and Where:

Saturday, May 5, through Sunday, May 6, 2012

MoMo2 -- Google maps directions
2885 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43202-1510
(614) 784-0888

DSC0200-L.jpg

MoMo's has a GREAT kitchen serving Asian dishes. They have bubble tea and a full drinks menu, including alcohol for those 21 and over. Please support them and do not bring outside food/drink to the venue.

These hotels are all within walking distance.

Venue fee is $30, pre-registration/pre-payment only, and the rate will go up increase to $40 in the coming months, with $50 on-site. Please pre-pay and reserve your room ASAP.

Hotel Information

1st option:

Red Roof Inn Columbus - The Ohio State University
441 Ackerman Rd
Columbus, OH 43202
614-267-9941

2nd option:
University Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
3110 Olentangy River Rd.
Columbus , Ohio 43202
614-267-7461 or 877-677-5292

3rd option:
Fairfield Inn & Suites OSU
3031 Olentangy River Road, Columbus, OH 43202
(614) 267-1111

DSC1145-L.jpg

We have limited venue passes, but we will try our best to accommodate interested media.
Please contact us at hatalawriting@gmail.com for details.

All official HD tournament games will run on Asus monitors

Official EVO Games List (win points for your seeding at EVO in July!):

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (System TBD) -- $20
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Ed. ver. 2012 (System TBD) -- $20
King of Fighter XIII (System TBD) -- $10
Mortal Kombat 9 (PS3) -- $10
Street Fighter x Tekken (System TBD) -- $10
Soul Calibur V (PS3) -- $10

And:
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Arcade Head-to-Head or Supergun) -- $20

**Rules:**
Evo standard rules across all games (including no wireless pads w/o a USB dongle). Also:
-Super Turbo: 3/5 throughout, 4/7 for Grand Finals.

ALL side games or Unofficial Team Tournaments are NOT GUARANTEED to finish at MOMOS. As a Tournament Runner you will be responsible for the players MONEY and relocation (hotel rooms being an option) of these tournaments -- MAIN games take priority due to time or resources. We have very little leeway in scheduling.

DSC0193-L.jpg

Many, many more details to come, regarding media, production, online content, and top guests in all games. We look forward to directly engaging YOU, the players spending hard-earned money to come to our event!

For now, post up or contact Chris or Harmon through PM or Facebook ("Chris Ghaleon Hatala", “Harmon Tam”) with questions/feedback/advice. SRK PM is NOT the most efficient way to get ahold of us because of how quickly our inboxes fill!

Pre-Registration is up & going. The following link will take you to the official website for Season's Beatings: Summer Slam with all sorts of news & details included about the tournament, as well as a link on top of the page to go to in order to register for the event.

http://godlike-entertainment.com/

Lost Providence & Adonis: I was thinking the same exact thing as well guys. I was thinking it was pretty damn odd that nobody posted up anything about Season's Beatings: Summer Slam on 8wayrun here, so I figured I'd take the initiative & post this up here so at least all the SCV players can know what's going on as far as this tournament is concerned.

MysticBill: I'm not sure myself if it's a one or two day event for SCV, but I'll look around, do some research, & find out if it is or not. I'll definitely be there so it'll be cool to chill with ya Bill & get some games in with ya in SCV. Also, since you live relatively close to Cincinnati now, I'll give ya a text or call sometime & try to setup a session with ya in the near future for sure my good sir.

I would have posted this, but the reason why I don't post other people's events is because people are going to have questions that I can't answer.

Ideally, the TO should have taken a moment to copy/paste their thread here.

Very true indeed Malice. I thought someone from the Season's Beatings group of TOs would have done that as well, & would have posted this awhile ago on top of that. Kind of bugs me that this wasn't done over here, & that I had to be the one to post this up over here, & I'm not even a TO of the event. Lol.

Oh well, I'm just glad the thread is up over here so at least people can know that this event is going on & can find some info out about it.

If anyone does have any questions about Power Up & what-not, I'll look into answering that for you to the best of my abilities. Either way, I'll be there for sure to play some SCV, so I look forward to it.

Yeah, but two and a half weeks is hardly enough time to prepare...and, even now...no TO giving info. Would like to refer back to the post In the MLG thread about being treated like the redheaded stepchild. Going to check when this topic was put up on SRK and by who.

Yeah, but two and a half weeks is hardly enough time to prepare...and, even now...no TO giving info. Would like to refer back to the post In the MLG thread about being treated like the redheaded stepchild. Going to check when this topic was put up on SRK and by who.
Which brings me back to Season's Beatings 3 and why I'll never go back to another Season's Beatings event. Ohio tournaments for some reason like to do "pre-reg brackets"; I don't know why, if you're allowing at-the-door signups, "pre-reg brackets" are a waste of time and a contention for confusion. Especially when at the time they were not doing online pre-reg payments.

Anyways, at SB3, there were 88 people pre-reg'd (and not payed). For some reason, they made brackets based on these 88 registrations, printed them out, and that was the bracket. When the actual tournament happened, only 60 people were actually in the tournament, and only 40 of them were pre-reg'd, the rest were at-the-door signups. Rather than simply redoing the brackets, they instead were crossing out and filling in names into the existing 88 man bracket... and they had no idea who on the pre-reg list actually showed up or not.

What this meant is that we had an almost 128 man bracket, where some people were getting 2 or 3 byes in a row, simply because the people they were playing against didn't show up to the event, and the organizers weren't smart enough to actually handle registration correctly. And since they were doing a single 128 man bracket, on a single printed copy, there was a lot of confusion on running the actual event... this is the event where I famously lost to a bye.

Now if that isn't bad enough, there were further issues. 88 people were expected on the pre-reg'd bracket... yet the event organizers only gave us THREE setups. Three setups to run an expected 88 man tournament is just fucking insulting. What was worse is that they had more TVs, because when the Smash Bros tournaments ended, they could have given us those TVs. However, the tournament organizers didn't have any consoles or copies of the game for us; if I recall correctly, 1 of those three setups they gave us was supplied by a player. Now we had an incredibly slow tournament, where people had to wait going on 12 hours in between matches. RTD didn't lose his first match till 4 AM.

And of course, it even gets worse from there. Season's Beatings is known for its "showcase" Marvel vs Capcom 2 matches... Sometime on Saturday, around 8 PM, there was a scheduled $1000 money match between Justin Wong and IFC Yipes. During this 90 minute long match, the organizers at SB3, forced us to STOP our tournament so players could WATCH the money match. We were Soulcalibur players, we don't care about Marvel! And being FORCED to watch a match instead of playing our already stalled tournament was another great insult.

I've been saying for a long time that Ohio has no idea how to run tournaments, and never a year goes down without some sort of controversy during a Season's Beatings event. Now PowerUp just passed this weekend, and KDZ had more bad news to report. Basically, for myself, unless its eSports, I don't plan on ever paying to go back to Ohio.

SB3 is also the tournament where Marn was running a 128-man Guilty Gear bracket... put side bets on the Justin/Yipes money match, and then walked away from the tournament after he got his money, taking the brackets with him.

Ohio, PlanetZero and anything Colorado Cutthroat... my personal "on notice" list.

Very true indeed Malice. I thought someone from the Season's Beatings group of TOs would have done that as well, & would have posted this awhile ago on top of that. Kind of bugs me that this wasn't done over here, & that I had to be the one to post this up over here, & I'm not even a TO of the event. Lol.

Oh well, I'm just glad the thread is up over here so at least people can know that this event is going on & can find some info out about it.

If anyone does have any questions about Power Up & what-not, I'll look into answering that for you to the best of my abilities. Either way, I'll be there for sure to play some SCV, so I look forward to it.

You'd figure that someone running a tournament for SCV would at least post a thread on here to let people know and answer any questions/concerns, but some people can't take 2 seconds to do a copy/paste. Even when I asked them directly for other events, I don't hear shit back, so I don't even bother posting someone else's event here.

What's also crazy is that not many people still play T6 at this point, but a TO will still take the time to add a thread on TZ, so I don't know why we're not extended the same courtesy when all you have to do is copy/paste. It's not like 8wayrun isn't known at this point. Hell most of the fighting game forums use the same forum software and mods from Jaxel.

If someone wanted to really go to this event for SCV, they would have seen the thread on SRK. But there's going to be events where SCV is treated right or where it's an afterthought. Plan accordingly.

If people do have questions, I would recommend asking them in the corresponding thread on SRK.

So, Sluch made a post saying that he wished they announced the tournament on 8wayrun.com and i posted asking if this was going to be a 1 day event or not. Here is what they said:

Honestly we aren't 3D players so I really don't keep up with the SCV scene. If the SC scene doesn't know much about the Road to EVO then yeah we def messed up waiting to get the word out, so they are free to be bummed about hearing about us late. If that stops people from coming that sucks but it's cool :/ There are quite a few tournaments this spring though so I def think everyone should be in shape though.
It's a Road to EVO game though and everyone should have an idea based on our last couple tournaments how we do business so it'll be scheduled and well run, with pools, and set start and end times, as soon as we finalize the schedule.

It is hard to feel appreciated after a post like that. But it is good to know that we are free to be bummed. And there are other tournaments to go to.

Lulz, fighting game community. I bet they only planned on having one or two setups for SCV (if they planned anything at all). MLG, ahoy!

*reads Jaxel's and everyone elses posts concerning past SBs and status of this SB on the SC front*

Whew boy! This is my first SB. And from the sound of it, I am in for a treat! So...stock up on various energy supplements, caffeine, and nap as much as possible. Ok. Got it.

Anything else I should know about/be aware of?

the venue is overcrowded and uncomfortable, there is nowhere to sit, the shit ALWAYS runs ultra late, brackets ALWAYS get messed up and you can go 8 hours between your matches on average.

and for the record, the food SUCKS.

enjoy.

Would've definitely gone to this if they actually annouced it...or...you know...gave a damn about us?

Rekano: Rob, definitely make sure you have money for Cane's Chicken & Bubble Tea at Momo2. This is all you need for sustenance for a Season's Beatings event. Lol.

AkazukinChaCha: This is indeed a very true statement my good sir. I usually have a good time chilling with everyone, getting lots of games in with everyone, & partying at the Season's Beatings tournaments so to me it makes it worthwhile to go to this tournament whenever they have one...not to mention Cane's Chicken & Bubble Tea from Momo2. Lol.

Besides that though, it can be brutal standing around waiting a long time for matches, & wondering what's going on in terms of organization at the Season's Beatings events a lot of times. I always remember Season's Beatings 3 & the horrible times I had for both the T5:DR tourney & the SC4 that year. Lack of organization, having no pools ran for both of those games that had a large amount of entries in both those tournaments I was in, waiting hours on matches before I finally got to play...yeah, it was bad & easily the worst tournament experience I ever had. I'm just hoping that things are better organized this time around, they learn from things, & that the tournaments are run in a well organized & efficient manner.

LostProvidence: Those are very justifiable reasons for not going to this tournament for sure, so I don't blame ya at all for not going and respect the hell outta that decision.

SB:Velocity last year was the first tournament that I ever attended where pools were posted beforehand and started to the minute they were advertised. And this is a 700-attendee event with names known around the world with featured special events. If you talk to anyone who has been to SB since 2009 you'll probably get a much different picture than what happened at our third tournament.

Some tournaments do the same thing every year and never learn from their mistakes in terms of organization. We made sure SB lead the way in innovation in the last few years in how huge tournaments can be organized, being the first event outside of EVO -to my knowledge- to do online pre-reg and do pools (because bringing Daigo to SB in 2009 was huge) to ensure things like SB3 wouldn't be the norm any longer.

I'm still kind of mad about how 3rd strike was handled by EVO when I competed in 2007 so I understand the underlying feelings. But tournaments have come a long way since 2008, especially ours. We don't do community donations, we gather the hardware in advance; pool times are scheduled; brackets are pre-made; start times are adhered to, because it isn't good enough to just "start whenever" and "players expect to start late". We've made that changes.

SC5 is an official SB game and Road to EVO game, which means we hold it to the highest standard -- it will be feature pre-posted start times based on our paid pre-registration. The venue is still unique and fantastic and quite a change from the standard hotel ballroom. If you choose to come you'll probably have a great time. If not, that's cool.

Back