[Melbourne, Australia] Home of Soul Melb and Endnow's Failures.

if you ban algol im probably not attending the tournament.

Thats a little Sanctimonious isnt it LJ? Were going off peoples opinions on this one. If the majority seems in favour of keeping algol then we will keep him. How many of you lads are attending at this stage?

Thats a little Sanctimonious isnt it LJ? Were going off peoples opinions on this one. If the majority seems in favour of keeping algol then we will keep him. How many of you lads are attending at this stage?

Exactly what endnow said. Its by no means final yet, im just collecting opinions of everyone before making the decision. At this point though i most probably will unban him. Any other problems with the rules though?

Edit: Ah fuck it hes unbanned. Ill be servely disappointed though if people start doing counter picking.

Edit: the only infinite im talking about is the Algol infinite (which i believe is the only one still in the game), if we can have a gentlemen's agreement not to use it then ill remove it from the rule section. And the sydney people will be seeded (based on reputation, lol)

Edit 3: Ive caved to peer pressure and changed the rules accordingly. Please take a look at them, should be to everyone's liking now.

@ Zan- thanks for uploading the videos. Was a pretty intense match.

Edit 4: how bout grand finals length?

Algol infinites are impractical in a real match. First it comes of 33B which is unsafe and slow. Opponent must be standing when the 33B hits. Algol must be almost on top of opponent when it hits. He must nail the timing.
That and only the NM/Sieg/Asta/Ivy combos are only 100% combo. TBH, the oly time you see it would probably be if I was using Gol, since I spent time learning them, and the only way I'd pull them off would be against the rookies. I'm a heavy advocate for increasing community - I aint gonna do that shit to scare em off. IMO have a soft ban on bubble combo's > 15 hits. (As in if people do more than 15, they're still in the clear - but they accept that the crowd will boo them to high hell)

Just re: what I was saying before about ring outs. I would much rather lose to a 30 second long bubble combo than get the other guy down to his last 10% of health, and be thrown out of the ring. Still it's something I tend to do as often as possible =P.

Also realised the irony that I make these arguments to avoid people coming up and complaining about rules, and yet here I am doing it =P. There's only one thing that I think may have been overlooked which is the character switching rule. Usually you're only allowed to switch characters within a set if you lose, and winner must keep the same character. However in a brand new set with a new opponent, you can choose whoever you want, and request double blind if you suspect the other guy is waiting for you to choose.

I will try my best to make it. Looks like my trip to Whitsundays is cancelled because the costs were getting out of control. So I should be able to make the Melbourne trip, will just have to decide at the last minute.

Just re: what I was saying before about ring outs. I would much rather lose to a 30 second long bubble combo than get the other guy down to his last 10% of health, and be thrown out of the ring. Still it's something I tend to do as often as possible =P.

Also realised the irony that I make these arguments to avoid people coming up and complaining about rules, and yet here I am doing it =P. There's only one thing that I think may have been overlooked which is the character switching rule. Usually you're only allowed to switch characters within a set if you lose, and winner must keep the same character. However in a brand new set with a new opponent, you can choose whoever you want, and request double blind if you suspect the other guy is waiting for you to choose.

I will try my best to make it. Looks like my trip to Whitsundays is cancelled because the costs were getting out of control. So I should be able to make the Melbourne trip, will just have to decide at the last minute.

Ok. Tell me if you need a hotel booked. I need to discuss the medals with runis.

Actually @Zan, do you know where i can get medals made up here in Melbourne?

That whole "true to the series" or "what the dev intended" has never really meant anything.

Well obviously it DOES mean something to some people, as the SW cast, Algol and the bonus chars have been banned all around Europe for the simple fact players don't want them in the game ! No technical/matchup/brokenness consideration whatsoever. They just don't see themselves fighting against poorly designed characters that hurt their eyes and the way they've perceived the series for 10 years now. Who can blame them since there's a massive consensus from the very start ? At least they know what they're doing and stick to their decisions. Haha I've been to a French tourney lately and they even switch stages when a SW stage pops up ;)

Now from what I see here in Australia, some people apparently like playing SW chars and Algol, some people don't. Knowing how fun it is to play these guys and considering they've never been proved broken, I don't see why they should be banned in this country. One thing's for sure though, Algol is going to introduce strong counterpicking in your tourneys, but hell... that's the way it is.

Guys, IMO you shouldn't waste time on a debate that's happened 6 months ago in the US and which we all know the outcome.

As for me I don't really care anymore. I'll just play no matter what the rules are.

BTW Engared I'm available tonight again if you want to train some more ;)

I don't like Algol or Yoda.

I don't really have a solid case for Algol, projectiles just do not fit well with the SC engine and he seems more of bonus character sort of thing, like playing Extra Vs.

For Yoda it's different, like Gon in Tekken 3, he's so small that high moves don't hit (like THROWS byebye significant portion of the game). Gon was banned in Tekken 3.

Yoda and Algol are in my opinion prime examples of Namco's catering to the casual gamer instead of focusing on making a great competitive fighting game. They detract (like Vader and Apprentice to a lesser extent) from the seriousness and potential greatness of the game. (Imagine someone seeing SC for the first time and seeing Algol or Yoda fight a real character, are they going to be impressed? No, their reaction will be more like "what's this scrubby shit?" and then going back to SF)

This is just my opinion, I'll enter regardless. SC isn't my main game (that's SF3) and I'm not about to pretend I know tonnes or have lots of experience, in fact, I probably only have around 12 hours clocked up on SCIV all up. Those reasons and a some others are why I can't get into SCIV like I did with SCII, however that doesn't mean I don't have fun playing with you guys.

See you all at BAM.

---

BAM timing note: There's a possibility that I'll be doing commentary and matching calling for SF4, so not conflicting with that (at least final 8) would be great.

Sounds like the gay marriage debate.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahaha

ive no problem with any of the other rules :) look i was probably a little over the top but i dont like it when communities go ban happy on games, it turns me off the community. unless there is a very good reason for the ban then i dont believe banning a character is ever a good choice. and there isnt a single character with the exception of yoda that should even be considered for a ban as he cant get hit by a majority of any characters moves and that is game breaking, but i dont really mind if we keep yoda cause as i said he comes with the game, so be it.

.... goes off to practice algols nm infinite....j/ks :P

Well obviously it DOES mean something to some people, as the SW cast, Algol and the bonus chars have been banned all around Europe for the simple fact players don't want them in the game ! No technical/matchup/brokenness consideration whatsoever. They just don't see themselves fighting against poorly designed characters that hurt their eyes and the way they've perceived the series for 10 years now. Who can blame them since there's a massive consensus from the very start ? At least they know what they're doing and stick to their decisions. Haha I've been to a French tourney lately and they even switch stages when a SW stage pops up ;)

Now from what I see here in Australia, some people apparently like playing SW chars and Algol, some people don't. Knowing how fun it is to play these guys and considering they've never been proved broken, I don't see why they should be banned in this country. One thing's for sure though, Algol is going to introduce strong counterpicking in your tourneys, but hell... that's the way it is.

Guys, IMO you shouldn't waste time on a debate that's happened 6 months ago in the US and which we all know the outcome.

As for me I don't really care anymore. I'll just play no matter what the rules are.

BTW Engared I'm available tonight again if you want to train some more ;)

Sure. come over when you want to.Just press the bell.

@ Everyone else- theres a session this Sunday at 2.00pm till late. Be there or be square (looking at you Eclair :)). Post here if you are coming and if you are bringing a car, please call me before hand if you need the parking spot.

BTW is Sunday or Saturday better for you folks. Im saying Sunday right now but if anyone has a problem with this, NOW IS THE TIME!

i say everything goes. but to use CaS, you need to set it up before hand.
as for algol's bubbles, i agree with Runis.

but then again, i'm not going to BAM, so my opinion shouldn't be taken into account.

I'm coming on Sunday.

Would it be better to come by train or car? You live right next to Spencer St Station right? If I come by car I can leave later (gotta be at Hillside by 6:30ish), but I'm not sure about parking in that area.

I'm coming on Sunday.

Would it be better to come by train or car? You live right next to Spencer St Station right? If I come by car I can leave later (gotta be at Hillside by 6:30ish), but I'm not sure about parking in that area.

There should be parking in the area but like 3 people need my parking spot already so it will be a competition, first one to arrive gets it.

yeah that was fun, but guys... something bothers me about your game...

why do you keep GI'ing when you can just JI ? Makes your entire game a lot safer...

Yeah I had a question aswell Papy... since you did lose a few rounds and fights last night... why didnt you just perfect us every round instead of taking damage? Its a much more effective way to win the game really.

Lol I read through his JI thread and my kn god its actually quiet epic how the one time he showed up for a tourney no one knew it was him. Probs for the best tho cause full speed arial kicks can cause head trauma or a mild case of DEATH! unless you JI them of coarse.

Ey papy what bad movies do you have in mind to show us? We have seen Pearl Harbour more times than we would like to (once in my case)

Sorry I don't think you're ready for this. You're way too young. I mean look at the guy in my avatar I don't think you could stand watching a whole movie with him as the main character. People have died in NY after that one, and I don't wanna get deported again.

lol what movie is your dp from? It looks like something from that 90s Hercules TV show... Pretty Baad.

How about one of the Copious 80s horror sequels, Friday the 13th part 7 anyone?? Those would have to be some of the worst movies ever made. Or how about video game movies? or franchise murder? There are all goldmines for your Hobby Papy :P.

Any luck job hunting?

Back