Modding SoulCalibur 3

EDIT: Found It. File3.UNK[/QUOTE]
I'm just going to replace Olcadan. I will write a custom story and everything. But i guess that Inferno does not have an icon in AE. Hand down on that.

Great! Please do and let us know when it's ready!

As for the icons, you don't need the Arcade Edition, when fighting Will'o'The Wisp in regular PS2 SC3 Tales of Souls,
you'll notice he has 3 icons, one for each color whenever he appears (Red, Green & Blue) and looking closely those icons actually depict Inferno,
just like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast where he was the last secret unlockable character, he had blue / red skins and icons, as well as some really impressive spinning airshow moves.

We just need to find the icons within ROOT.OLK

Hmmm... I haven't seen that before, I have replaced some bonus characters with Inferno from SC3 Arcade Edition but I haven't experienced game crashes with that, if you're using an actual Ps2 I think it just freezes when something is different, but if you're using PCSX2 emulator, you will usually get a message on the console, either a TLB miss which is I believe that a particular file was not found or a VBLANK overlap, where some file got really messed up.

Are you substituting the whole inferno.pkg file?
If you just substitute the actual model does it still crash? (Sc3 AE File 6 > File 105 > File1.unk - 548k (this is the actual model with textures)

Hey, turns out in the hex language $Q18 Means X Image and $Q20 Means O Image... Do you think that the char icons are built using the same strategy?

Way to go! I watched the whole video, it was great!
Makes me think Inferno's storyline is much more interesting than Olcadan's story which is really good.

It was great seeing inferno selling soul edge at the shop, really really nice!

I didnt know about thr X & O in hex language, perhaps it is possible that as you say icons are stored and displayed that way, but we should be really close, the actual icon that appears in-game seems like a scalrd dowm version of thr icons on the character selection screen, thus that's why I believe eventually we should be able to use will o the wisp icons for Inferno.

Great! Please do and let us know when it's ready!

As for the icons, you don't need the Arcade Edition, when fighting Will'o'The Wisp in regular PS2 SC3 Tales of Souls,
you'll notice he has 3 icons, one for each color whenever he appears (Red, Green & Blue) and looking closely those icons actually depict Inferno,
just like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast where he was the last secret unlockable character, he had blue / red skins and icons, as well as some really impressive spinning airshow moves.

We just need to find the icons within ROOT.OLK

I'm gonna ask a question, do you know how to edit model textures? If you do, could you please edit Inferno's flames to be red. It will be a 2nd costume for him.

Maybe even the Chronicles of the sword could eventually be a good alternative for an expanded Inferno storyline, that would be much better than the Halteese and Grandarbor whatever thy are called storyline.
IKR. I will try to make it better than the last one.

I'm gonna ask a question, do you know how to edit model textures? If you do, could you please edit Inferno's flames to be red. It will be a 2nd costume for him.

I cant do that for the time being, as I lack the knowledge, but Im sure that maybe a script or some other event changes the flame color for Inferno and Will o the Wisp, the same model can use red,blue or green, it's just that it defaults to green, however under certsin conditions the flames get the alternate color even if you are using the same model. Ive seen this happen in tales of souls, depending on how you or lose matches until you face the wisp with certain characters.

I cant do that for the time being, as I lack the knowledge, but Im sure that maybe a script or some other event changes the flame color for Inferno and Will o the Wisp, the same model can use red,blue or green, it's just that it defaults to green, however under certsin conditions the flames get the alternate color even if you are using the same model. Ive seen this happen in tales of souls, depending on how you or lose matches until you face the wisp with certain characters.
hmmm.... ok. When will you be online next?

Even better with the Algol storyline mixed, makes for a much better transition to Soul Calibut IV, if we could import models from either SCIV or SCII that would really open the possibilities for a major mod.

Keep up the goodwork, Im looking forward to playing the complete version of your mod, maybe during a weekend!

I will finish it as soon as I can. I'm just being creative and canon-friendly. I want to put Zasalamel somewhere suitable though.

Some Information About Characters PKG:

File1.unk = Model + Texture
File2.unk = ???
File3.unk = Narrator saying "Inferno" "Mitsurugi" and stuff.
File4.unk = Final Cutscene Animations.
File5.pkg = In Battle Image?
File6.unk = Character Voices

Some time ago... I found out that XO Images on the storyline are hex codes. I though that "What if the char files are also hex codes?" So, I began on job to investigate. I changed some codes and the result is Olcadan to ?. I have made a tutorial here if you like: http://topazgaming.tk/sc3modding

Last edited:
Oh my oh my!!!!

This is so awesome!, you... finally solved the icons puzzle!
I will need to play with those, If I understood well your instructions,
then I should be able to replace some Bonus Character Icons, with other character icons,
and that makes me extremely happy!

For months I was not able to find them! Hopefully I should be able to come up
with something during the weekend as daily job leaves me no time Monday through Friday.

Regarding editing Soul Calibur 3 models & textures, here are 2 threads that deal with that
on different sites, so that might interest you:

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5648
https://ps23dformat.wikispaces.com/Soul+Calibur+3

I'm attaching a sword model I managed to extract using quickbms converted to .3ds using the instructions
and script on the last link, but as i said before, I lack the knowledge to actually edit it with Blender or any other program,
but I do believe repacking an extracted file is possible.

Here's the pic, and I'm also attaching the file.

blender_2016-06-21_21-49-25-85.jpg

The link below is also quite interesting, as it details how to mod many aspects of the game from system memory,
such as weapon parameter codes that can be altered , I think you'll enjoy reading it.

http://capa.wikidot.com/game:soulcalibur3

Now if I may ask, do you have any idea where the actual weapon properties might be stored/controlled?
Or in what combination, I seem to recall, that some moons ago I found some of the values like 004B4C32 within root.olk but I need to find where I wrote that.
(Per the previous link, 1P Power the higher the amount, the more the damage done to enemy)

This following link details all Soul Calibur 3 weapon properties and how they are calculated + lots of other
interesting stuff.

http://asoh.xyz/guide:sc3-weapon

Having said all of the above, if we could mod weapon properties directly on the ISO disc files, then we could rebalance Soul Calibur III characters completely and perhaps correct most, if not all of the character balance issues described on other threads within this site, this could represent a very good opportunity to breathe new life to our beloved Soul Calibur III.

Once again thank you so much for your help and contribution!

Attachments

• Faust.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Some Information About Characters PKG:

File1.unk = Model Texture
File2.unk = ???
File3.unk = Narrator saying "Inferno" "Mitsurugi" and stuff.
File4.unk = Final Cutscene Animations.
File5.pkg = In Battle Image?
File6.unk = Character Voices

Quite similar to that, here's the info about Weapons PKG structure.

File1.unk = Model + Textures (vmp) -
File2.unk = ?
File3.unk = ?
File4.unk = ?
File5 = Blank space
File6.unk = weapon sounds (mmp)

You can replace the model or sound of any weapon, and most of the time it works real good.

Last edited:
Oh my oh my!!!!

then I should be able to replace some Bonus Character Icons, with other character icons,

with something during the weekend as daily job leaves me no time Monday through Friday.

Regarding editing Soul Calibur 3 models & textures, here are 2 threads that deal with that

I'm attaching a sword model I managed to extract using quickbms converted to .3ds using the instructions
and script on the last link, but as i said before, I lack the knowledge to actually edit it with Blender or any other program,

blender_2016_06_21_21_49_25_85.jpg

The link below is also quite interesting, as it details how to mod many aspects of the game from system memory,
such as weapon parameter codes that can be altered , I think you'll enjoy reading it.

Now if I may ask, do you have any idea where the actual weapon properties might be stored/controlled?
Or in what combination, I seem to recall, that some moons ago I found some of the values like 004B4C32 within root.olk but I need to find where I wrote that.
(Per the previous link, 1P Power the higher the amount, the more the damage done to enemy)

This following link details all Soul Calibur 3 weapon properties and how they are calculated + lots of other
interesting stuff.

Having said all of the above, if we could mod weapon properties directly on the ISO disc files, then we could rebalance Soul Calibur III characters completely and perhaps correct most, if not all of the character balance issues described on other threads within this site, this could represent a very good opportunity to breathe new life to our beloved Soul Calibur III.

Thank You for the Information website address. It will help me in the future. I guess I should make a guide on modding images. This Olcadan to ? Took me almost 5 HOURS to understand.

Oh my oh my!!!!

blender_2016_06_21_21_49_25_85.jpg

interesting stuff.

I have looked to models with that method, found NO Textures. Maybe hex codes as well?

Thank You for the Information website address. It will help me in the future. I guess I should make a guide on modding images. This Olcadan to ? Took me almost 5 HOURS to understand.

I'm sure everybody appreciates your help and contribution!

I'm also thankful as well to the original posters of this thread even though I was never able to participate
during the initial phase, but their work is the basis for everything we've learned from SC3.

Lets keep modding!

Last edited:
I'm sure everybody appreciates your help and contribution!

I'm also thankful as well to the original posters of this thread even though I was never able to participate
during the initial phase, but their work is the basis for everything we've learned from SC3.

I should be online next Sunday, somewhere around 1pm GMT .
and lets keep modding!

That is 4 A.M. For me. I'm also thankful to them as well. They are the core of this project. Without them, this wouldn't be possible.

Both 3d models and textures are stored in File1.unk. I know because I only replaced that file in Amy's 2P costume to have a fully functional AE 2P costume.

Back