Modding SoulCalibur 3

Thank you, C.AntonioFalcon.

Replacing works fine for me :) But with one exception. Is it possible to replace (or swap) thumbnails and characters names too?
I want to create an alternative disk with hidden characters unlocked for play.
Also, is there a tool to open (or unpack) the *.unk files?

Has anyone here got the voices and maybe sound effects extracted from the game? I could probably do this myself but I haven't looked at the game in a long while. Just want to know if anyone here has done it already. I'd imagine it would be in some .afs container if you go by the other games in the series.

Also, there is a easier way to playback and convert .adx sound files in case anyone wants to know.

There's a free audio player/decoder called foobar2000

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Just make sure to also download the the ADPCM decoder component .dll plugin and add into the components directory wherever you installed foobar.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components

You should be able to output to wav what have you. Plays other audio formats too but I find it useful for game audio formats as a secondary tool.

You can extract the voices from the SC3AE ISO file. The VOICE.AFS file from the PS2 version doesn't work with the AFS Explorer but the one from the AE does.

hmm.. I wonder why that is. Have you tried different version of AFS explorer? I remember when trying to extract audio from SC4, different versions yielded different results.

A question to OOFMATIC 2.0 or C.AntonioFalcon or anybody who are in the know. I've extracted the ROOT.OLK file and trying to figure out which files are for there.
I see there could be some *.bin and *.raw files.
So, the question: how did you figured out which set of files is belonging to one or another character? Was it just a swap-and-test method? Or you did analyse files in some another way? Is there any extra tools for that?

When I have time I should take s deeper look into files. Ive mostly been familiar with SC4 and SC5. The file structure and hierarchy for SC3 looks very similar. Going by the description of olk files should be compiled files or folders for their respective file types i.e. Creation:character model assets including 3d model and textures, cdata: misc assets like overlays, hud, text files, motion: animation script, camera data, etc, stages and weapons: self explanatory...

Not surprising though since it seems every SC game at is core could be traced back to first SC just built up and expanded. Take for example these two texture maps. They are the VS background screens from SC3 but these two textures are also found in SC4 and SC5.

n1wcqp.jpg

149qio.jpg

They have no purpose in the latter games, yet they're there on disc. Hence speculation about the game and the game's engine essentially being evolved versions of eachother.

So, the question: how did you figured out which set of files is belonging to one or another character? Was it just a swap-and-test method? Or you did analyse files in some another way? Is there any extra tools for that?

As Antonio has pointed out, swap & try is the main way of discovering what a file holds,
once you have identified files of the same class you can try and load them up on a hex editor to try and find patterns within them, so when you open another file and it's contents are unkown, you might try to find a similar pattern to a file you already know what it is, you can assume it's similar.

For example when swapping character models you will have File xxx.pkg / and 7 subfiles inside the package, File1.unk contains the actual model & textures, file3.unk I believe is the audio for that particular model, and audio files of this type seem to have something similar to this header at the start of the file:

"mmp..M......5!..........@.......@....L..........................PHDp"

MMP is some sort of audio format for the PS2 hardware, while the X-box uses MMX, that's why OLKExplorer.exe recognizes MMX (audio) & VMX (models & textures) within the root.olk of SC2 for X-box, but when you open root.olk from SC2 for PS2 those extensions are not there, thus the files are shown as unkown, only the .MOT files appear to be recognized between different hardware platforms.

The weapon structure is also similar, for example Filexxx.pkg / with 6 subfiles inside the package, File1.unk has the model & textures, while File6.unk has the sounds for that particular weapon which also has the MMP header.

On the newer games It seems quite possible that they might have just adapted the game´s engine to the new hardware Ps3 & X360, while keeping some of the old stuff, I don't know about the file formats but I suppose they should have increased the detail and changed the format as well, it would be interesting to see if a model from SC4 or SC5 could be imported back unto SC3 to see if it works, but I think that's unlikely given the fact that even SC2 models are not swappable with SC3 yet.

Here are some shots of the 2 different colossus models (file 643 & file 644), one is just a bit darker, what's interesting is that no matter what weapon they use, the weapon will get enlarged to the proper size for a Colossus, that makes me speculate that at least a weapon size modifier property could be found within Root.olk/File7/File643/File1.unk & File644/File1.unk for the slightly darker Colossus model.

Colossus_2.jpg

Colossus_3.jpg

I still haven't looked inside SC3 in detail as I've been pretty busy over the week. Not sure when I could get to it. Other than general file structure, I haven't been able to find anything relevant inside the .olk package or the .unk's that I'm familiar with in relation to later games. I'm not sure if its simply in a more compressed format or what but I can't find any header information inside any of the files I looked at.

Theoretically it should be possible to move assets across any of the games. You would have to re-assemble and rewrite the structure of the file used in each game for each platform. For instance, the shader and color palette are different in SC4 and SC5 so you would have to accomodate for those. Then there's other aspects such as model phase states (armor breakage) since in SC4 there are three levels (top, middle, bottom) vs toggle (on/off) in SC5.

First of all a disclaimer before what I show next:

None of the following will ever work as a method to mod/cheat online such as savedata editing (gameshark methodology) and such. Since this involves mostly actual data modding locally, there is no advantage for doing any of this. Things like frame data will be completely off and some collision models are absent entirely, so most of this is completely cosmetic in nature. As an avid fan of the series like most of you, I have high regards for the community, both competative and casual. Also I will not share any information regards to methodology to the general public here in this forum. So do not ask. With that said...

To illustrate, here's Amy's SC4 model parts imported into SC5.

The hair, dress and lacing is a rewrite of the file to match SC5. These were equipped to Viola model (who resembles Amy and as many speculated, the same character but aged older). The motion files which contain fighting animation for SC4 Amy was also imported here (since it is absent entirely from the game). However, it is buggy since it's specific for the game and many things it references is either missing or incompatible so would require rewrite. The weapon belongs to Raphael who already has an option to wield Amy's sword. And of course, being that it is forced, the voice events are completely off reflecting Viola's.

Complete deformation of the model is possible too.

20hvtjm.jpg

This is Pyrrha's Omega shield except I rescaled it to something ridiculous such as this:

4kyxxf.jpg

sxgld3.jpg

As stated earlier, this is completely cosmetic in nature. The boundaries for the shield are still retained by the original shape. The collision models would have to be rewritten for this properly work at its given size.

Theoretically I'd imagine it be possible to do the reverse and move assets from later games into previous ones but you would probably have to remove lots of stuff to accomodate the older engine. There would need to be a major redux such as simpler models with less vertices and faces since older platforms could only handle so many polygons. But yes, theoretically it should be possible to do almost anything really if you know where to look.

I still haven't looked inside SC3 in detail as I've been pretty busy over the week. Not sure when I could get to it. Other than general file structure, I haven't been able to find anything relevant inside the .olk package or the .unk's that I'm familiar with in relation to later games. I'm not sure if its simply in a more compressed format or what but I can't find any header information inside any of the files I looked at.

Theoretically it should be possible to move assets across any of the games. You would have to re-assemble and rewrite the structure of the file used in each game for each platform. For instance, the shader and color palette are different in SC4 and SC5 so you would have to accomodate for those. Then there's other aspects such as model phase states (armor breakage) since in SC4 there are three levels (top, middle, bottom) vs toggle (on/off) in SC5.

First of all a disclaimer before what I show next:

None of the following will ever work as a method to mod/cheat online such as savedata editing (gameshark methodology) and such. Since this involves mostly actual data modding locally, there is no advantage for doing any of this. Things like frame data will be completely off and some collision models are absent entirely, so most of this is completely cosmetic in nature. As an avid fan of the series like most of you, I have high regards for the community, both competative and casual. Also I will not share any information regards to methodology to the general public here in this forum. So do not ask. With that said...

To illustrate, here's Amy's SC4 model parts imported into SC5.

The hair, dress and lacing is a rewrite of the file to match SC5. These were equipped to Viola model (who resembles Amy and as many speculated, the same character but aged older). The motion files which contain fighting animation for SC4 Amy was also imported here (since it is absent entirely from the game). However, it is buggy since it's specific for the game and many things it references is either missing or incompatible so would require rewrite. The weapon belongs to Raphael who already has an option to wield Amy's sword. And of course, being that it is forced, the voice events are completely off reflecting Viola's.

Complete deformation of the model is possible too.

20hvtjm.jpg

This is Pyrrha's Omega shield except I rescaled it to something ridiculous such as this:

4kyxxf.jpg

sxgld3.jpg

As stated earlier, this is completely cosmetic in nature. The boundaries for the shield are still retained by the original shape. The collision models would have to be rewritten for this properly work at its given size.

Theoretically I'd imagine it be possible to do the reverse and move assets from later games into previous ones but you would probably have to remove lots of stuff to accomodate the older engine. There would need to be a major redux such as simpler models with less vertices and faces since older platforms could only handle so many polygons. But yes, theoretically it should be possible to do almost anything really if you know where to look.

Poor Pyrrha! xD

How to play for Aeolos and Areon?

Aeolos - boss in chronicle 17.
Areon - boss in chronicle 4.

Aeolos and Areon - He is taller than most other units in the game, and in battle he is clearly much taller than the player.

Another question: Who has a book?

51H1C0TAWWL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

There is something interesting? There must be some special bonuses, online passwords...

You can create some of the CotS characters using the CaS mode, however not all of them.
Yes, I understand that. I can put there unplayable Charade, Berserker and more... through modding SC 3?

I do not understand why Namco in SC 3 did many unplayable characters...
Why create characters that you can not play????
Namco mocks!

I would imagine because they only intended their use in story modes or similar. Who knows why they would not include the option to have them playable... could be for many reasons ranging from requiring character back story to how to spec out the character stats, fighting style, frame and balancing loadout. I'm sure they could have made it available simply for cosmetic use and simply mimic existing styles but they didn't want to put resources to it for whatever reason. Not sure about SCII, but in SC4-5, its the same way. There are unplayable characters and styles on disc. It's not a deal breaker but I'm sure they had their reasons. All games have things cut during development for mulitple reasons - whether for logistic or business.

Back