Most Esteemed One-Shot Contest Thread.

must... resist... urge to make a moustache pun...

Seriously though, Le Bello and I once got engaged in a pun war on the topic of moustaches and between us, we must have come up with well over 100 moustache-related puns (and worryingly, I don't think this is an exaggeration). I fear that if I joined in with these puns, the resulting pun war would last for months and completely derail the thread. So instead, I'll just vote...

Quinion.

ANYWAY LOOK. First round is over, and Quinion won! Well done Quin-a-ling! :D

This means he gets to decide what the next round is, and how it's played. Good luck.

Hey thanks everyone who voted and especially to the folks who posted something to vote for. Now it's my turn to come up with a contest, and I think i have just the thing, as I would like to have a contest that's as inclusive as possible. I want everyone on this forum who wants to post to feel like they have a fighting chance.

Ever notice there's a lot of hideous, horrendous and heinous CAS out there? To my mind, the blame falls squarely on Project Soul. Why you ask? I'll tell you why: they set the bar so very, very low with the ridiculous line-up in Quick Play mode. One can routinely get better results from the random equipment function. It gives one pause to think of so many 8wayrunners immortalized in the game with a grotesque mockery of the CAS mode. So I devised :

QUINION"S QUICKPLAY Q uh...CONTEST!

Here's the thought: In this contest, you get to make your own CAS with which to be immortalized in the game. Anything goes: official recolors, originals, official 3P, recreations...anything you can make with the Creation Mode that if it appeared in the game, you'd be proud that it represents you. Do as little (just post your character) or as much (name, title, player card, location, stage..yes in this mode you can pick your stage instead of the default stage for that character/style) as you like.

Ground rule: Recreations have to be Namco trademarks/copyrights (SC, Tekken, PacMan, whatever) as Clouds, Dantes, Wolverines, etc would surely result in a lawsuit for appearing unlicensed in a Soul Calibur game. Ignoring this rule will result in immediate disqualification!!!!

Contest begins NOW, and runs through midnight January 31st (in the US since its my contest), which just so happens to be the one-year anniversary of SCV's release date (in the US since its my contest). Voting will commence directly following the conclusion of the contest. I'm going to post an original myself, but I am barred from winning to keep the rotating contest alive. Get to it 8wayrunners.

I wanted to save this for until I finished with my CaS overhaul, but someone's gotta set the ante and this one's pretty much perfect for the prompt.

Pascusio
DCvzA9S.jpg

As with any character creator, the first thing I usually make is a self-insert. The target aesthetic is stylized Victorian/Colonial American.
- The Student's Coat and Leather Wrap combine together to create an open longcoat loosely bound together at the waist

- The eye sticker's bump mapping is used in conjunction with a pair of Rabbit Ears to create a collar for the Long-Sleeved Top.

- The tie was colored white to complement the wings sticker around the collar and front.

- The denim pocket sticker was used to impart a shape to the coat that cuts off midthigh and tapers to a lower point towards the back.

- Wings stickers on either side of the Leather Wrap are placed behind the denim pocket sticker to give the appearance of wings peeking out under the coat on a second layer of cloth.

- Subtle patterns on the Long-Sleeved Top, the Yoga Pants, and the Rocker's Gloves give texture at close distances while blending into solid colors at farther distances and in-game.

- A few of my proclivities can be seen in this CaS. One was already mentioned; I'm a fan of Victorian/Colonial American/ceremonial military-style wardrobe. Navy blue is my favorite color and the blue, gold, and white color palette is my favorite color scheme. The wing and feather designs reflect my fondness for the air, the sky, and flight.

I've done lot of characters, but like ThePascuzzi the first thing I usually do is my "self infsert" my "Mary Sue". And if I had to pick one and just one CAS to represent me on a SC game would be that. His name used to be Alex but now known as "Asura".

Some retrospection
He changed quite a bit with the years but still keeps his traits, black hair, red eyes and Mitsurugi style. However with the times has evolved and with each new game has become more...barbarian/berserker-like both in outfit and playstyle. The first outfit in SCIV was more warrior like while the biker outfit was used as 2p. I kept it the same way in SCV however the 1p warrior outfit is more barbaric than ever, since he devoted himself to war and violencehe bit by bit has lost part of his humanity . However I still conserve the "biker" outfit as 2pj as reminiscence of his past.

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

asuraupdate3.jpg

Proper submission.
6t6hz.jpg

u3NaA.jpg

Even if I love him with Mitsurugi style I'd lie if I didn't admit I would like to see him as an original character with a sword-staff

2zsbntl.jpg

Weirdly enough, I don't have a "self-insert" CaS, and if I did, I'd imagine it would be fairly generic looking.

Well I guess the point of those quickplay characters is to immortalise the playstyles of certain players, so I feel my quickplay character would have to use Omega's style (since she is my main). In fact, I love Omega so much, I think I'm going to take advantage of the fact that Quinion is allowing official 3Ps and submit an Omega edit...

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.jpg
The whole concept behind this edit was the book of Genesis. Innocent young girl discovers some sword which represents an evil knowledge not intended for humanity, and it then leaves her with a hellish curse. Kinda sounds like Eve taking the forbidden fruit to me. I actually think there are loads of parallels between Adam/Eve and Patroklos/Pyrrha. From the Fallen Woman (original sin/malfestation) to the weird, incestuous relationship people choose to ignore.

The most obvious Genesis reference would be the headgear - the snake that tempted Eve can be seen about to take a bite out of the apple. I also wanted the image on her skirt to look like the silhouette of a baron tree before a hellish orange sky. And its positioning is kinda phallic. Maybe I shouldn't have pointed that out though :P

I decided to submit this edit because
a) What better way to represent an Omega player than with an Omega edit?
2) I wanted something pretty unusual to stand out from all the crap you see in quickplay mode.

So, just to be clear, this is pretty much us showing what we would insert into quickplay, the way Namco did a contest for the current quickplay opponents?

Yeah, but my understanding is the contest Namco had was just names and fighting styles.......in this contest, you get to design the character, instead of living with whatever Namco came up with.

@NeclordX...bleeding eyes is exactly what I'm talking about; if nothing else, this contest is to show just how much Creation mode is capable of and how bad we got stiffed by PS in which one of the few single player modes we got was full of eyesores.

I don't really have a "self-insert" either, but to be honest, there are quite a few of my CAS I'd be glad to see in the game, especially a few of my SC recreations (Cassandra, Rock,Arthur, Kilik, etc.) or some of my originals, but I did say I would post a new original here, so here's my non-competitive entry:

Ulric, the Huntsman

Ulric.jpg

There's more to his story, but I won't post it here; suffice to say, since they dropped Rock, we don't really have a grungy barbarian type in the game anymore...tried to go with a leather/fur/skin look with very little steel/metallic objects.

I guess I'll have to go with my staple character, the one that I play the most.

Atma:
Atma_P2.jpg

An intimidating half-monster woman with a very aggressive fighting style (used to be Zasalamel, but, well...). I didn't think about grabbing an armor break pic here, but her monster arm continues to the skin:

Atma_P1.jpg

I only have one video to share at the moment:
In a creations room, never skip the other guy's intro after watching yours. It won't end well :)

I guess I'll have to go with my staple character, the one that I play the most.

Atma:
Atma_P2.jpg

Clothes covering 95% of her meat, the 5% remaining is her crotch. I like the way you think. XDDD

No, seriously now I love the design and the color scheme, I'd would have her on my game. 2pj seems a bit too much simple/uninspired IMO

Clothes covering 95% of her meat, the 5% remaining is her crotch. I like the way you think. XDDD

If you want a hardcore backstory/excuse, she has the ability to turn into a giant behemoth monster, so I originally designed her to have clothes that would easily remove, so as to not fall victim to "hulking out" syndrome. I mean, where does Kenshiro get so many shirts? ;)
So I like to kinda keep that idea going with any of her designs. In any case, she's not your typical skimpy sexy kawaii girl cas :P I often get people complaining about buff women, surprisingly >_>

Thanks for the compliment, though! :D

Well awright, contests ends.....19.75 hours ago. Happy belated anniversary SC5. Voting has begun.

My vote goes to: Holy Carp, if for no other reason than he made that ridiculous headpiece work and the serpent & apple touch was a brilliant addition. Tough choice though; I could voted for any of the entries and been happy with it. More entries this time too. Maybe the challenges/contests are making a comeback on the forum........

I freaking LOVE Atma. She's got presence, style, and is so full of character it physically hurts. Everything about her is an exercise in skill; from the amazingly well done claw, to the tendons and muscled flesh on her arm.

However, HolyCarp takes my vote here, and that's because the moment you see that outfit, you get that sense of foreboding. It's taken a lot of unusual equipment, and made something so impacting, that I find myself dwelling on it, long after looking at the pics.

I tell you though, it was so close between the two, I nearly flipped a coin. But the way HC built the design to draw attention to the eyes, and the more subtle elements, makes it really unsettling.

Sorry LordDraco3, but to me, it kind of feels like Silent Hill versus Resident Evil. I prefer SH for it's less gory, more subtle approach. Big mutant hell things just don't work for me as well as the suggestive. Though, as state, I do LOVE Atma.

Well, I missed out. I would of posted the genderbend of Yoshimitsu or a new cutesy yet pretty asian lady design, but I got busy with other stuff. Regardless, my vote goes to.....Quinion. Only because I dig the hunter a lot. Quite manly if I may add. Everyone else came in second.

Back