Movement with Ivy

d3troitr3d2k

[08] Mercenary
I don't know if this warrants a new thread but I am at my wits end since the second patch. In essence, what is your movement strategy with Ivy? Since the backdash has been nerfed I feel trapped by her moveset. Its my opinion that many of her great moves (22_88B, 44A, etc.) are confined to the 8WR. The problem with that is going for these moves put her in automatic counter-hit possibility by the opponent.

I have viewed and played players who demonstrate great movement despite the patch, however, none of these players are Ivy. So I ask what is your method of movement and how can I improve my own offensively and defensively?

The great thing about Ivy is that she's great with both range and pressuring. If your opponent doesn't let you get away with backdash, don't do it. Against characters like NM, Asta, Sieg, Mitsu, or Pat, sometimes the best option of movement is forward.

However, sometimes Ivy just needs a little space. This is why she has moves like 3[K], 6B, and 7B. These are moves that usually give Ivy lots of space, and if you opponent is too eager, you can follow them of with some 3Bs. That way your opponent might let you keep your distance for a bit.

Other options for movement are 214B and 3B with their amazing tech step properties. 66B BE has good forward range and can make your opponent fear backdashing. And of course CS will sometimes catch backdashers and is great against a sidestep.

I think movement should be tied to matchup knowledge. It's very important to step in the right direction.
For example, many of mitsu's pokes track only to his left. so you should use 88K instead of 22K or 214B
If you are constantly stepping for no reason, then you deserve to get punished.

I ALWAYS step. It works so well it gets boring sometimes :P
In your recent video I saw you move all the time, even at disadvantage. A good player will notice that immediately and CH you all the time.

Movement in this game requires more knowledge than in past games, it's not as "brain dead" as in SC4, since you can't guard for 20 frames after side step or backdash. The only way to move around safely is to move when you're at frame advantage.

In your recent video I saw you move all the time, even at disadvantage. A good player will notice that immediately and CH you all the time.

Movement in this game requires more knowledge than in past games, it's not as "brain dead" as in SC4, since you can't guard for 20 frames after side step or backdash. The only way to move around safely is to move when you're at frame advantage.
How can I tell when I'm at frame advantage? If I wasn't, how come he did not hit me?

How can I tell when I'm at frame advantage? If I wasn't, how come he did not hit me?
You're at frame advantage when you hit your opponent (most of the time, though some moves are negative on hit), or when you block your opponents move etc. The latter one is more safe, because usually you need to be at around +10 to step and block your opponents fastest antistep which is usually AA or 2A.

Of course you have to move around, but when you are at frame disadvantage, you are basically gambling if the opponent will use a vertical or horizontal move. Unfortunately in SC5 there are moves that cover too many things (like side step + backdash) so movement is much more limited.

You're at frame advantage when you hit your opponent (most of the time, though some moves are negative on hit), or when you block your opponents move etc. The latter one is more safe, because usually you need to be at around +10 to step and block your opponents fastest antistep which is usually AA or 2A.

Of course you have to move around, but when you are at frame disadvantage, you are basically gambling if the opponent will use a vertical or horizontal move. Unfortunately in SC5 there are moves that cover too many things (like side step + backdash) so movement is much more limited.

Adding to this, there are exceptions to this rule of course. In the same manner of thinking as attacking at disadvantage, there is nothing (technically) stopping you from moving at disadvantage. You take a lot of risk, as Ring mentioned, but with risk comes unpredictability -- something which I believe is just as important as frames in winning a match.

Long story short, the guideline is to move on advantage. However, this guideline is meant to be broken to win.

Stumbled upon a replacement for my backstep and its called 7A...surprised at how often it works actually. The gamble part is you get air hit but it seems the characters can't follow it up...may need to be checked, but I was hit with APats CE and I just fell and got up...

lol I do, he eats 6A

Stumbled upon a replacement for my backstep and its called 7A...surprised at how often it works actually. The gamble part is you get air hit but it seems the characters can't follow it up...may need to be checked, but I was hit with APats CE and I just fell and got up...
lol you wont be saying that against a good viola or Ivy, if you make a habit of it, you could end up taking some major damage, lol most of violas combos require you to be airborne, either via 3B or your own accord

I don't think it would be something to do a lot...maybe when u need an emergency OUT or even create space. 7A will catch a stepper, maybe force a block and might get you in some trouble, but I think I will take the risk. I have a very bad habit of backdashing which I can't shake...I blame Zafina.

I don't think it would be something to do a lot...maybe when u need an emergency OUT or even create space. 7A will catch a stepper, maybe force a block and might get you in some trouble, but I think I will take the risk. I have a very bad habit of backdashing which I can't shake...I blame Zafina.
lol dont see how you can blame zafina, she has enough tech moves, to not need to back dash.
Lets just say, if you see you do it more than once in a fight, the 7A thing next time you will be comboed

Several frames at the end of the 7A animation leave you vulnerable on the ground. If you're looking for a move that keeps you in the air and relatively safe on the ground, try 7K. It's -6 on block I think, so only a few frames max can leave you vulnerable on the ground.

Also, if you use an airborne attack on NM's CE, I believe he can combo the CE hit with 3B for just as much damage.

Back