My astaroth tactics

Lord_Gagnar

[08] Mercenary
Greetings fellow astaroth players

My name is Thomas and both my psn account is named Lord_Gagnar and if you have not already noticed...So is my Forum name.

I made this thread to tell you about my astaroth play style and to introduce myself.

I am 21 years old and Live in the Netherlands. Iv'e been playing SC quite a while although I have never played the installments before SC 2 on the ps2. My main character is Astaroth. Because of he's simplicity and ability to inflict tremendous damage to an opponent. He is also one of the more unique characters in the series due to he's size, tactics and weapons I also believe that I have some new things to add to Astaroth stratagies.

As you may have read, I originate from holland. So my english is sufficient enough to make most of you understand i guess about what I am writing. My english is still not flawless ofcourse. So bear with me if I make any really stupid grammar error's and if it made you feel better you can comment on it. Which in the end will also benefit me ^^

On to the guide!!!!

I'll be making a quick line up of the content I will post in my guide.

- Astaroth basics
- Astaroth advanced
- Astaroth advantadges
- Astaroth disadvantadges
- Astaroth miscellaneous

Astaroth basics
Astaroth might seem like a slow lumbering giant. Which Is true ofcourse. But beneath all of that lies a fighting style which can adapt to both speed and strength.​
Learning to effectively control astaroth requires practice. Both online and offline. Like any other character you must adapt to it's flaws and it's stronger points. Most efficient way to do this is ofcourse repetion and patience. No one will be able to fully master astaroth within a week of practice. To get used to playing with this giant takes time. Some of you might argue with me that Astaroth is quite simple to master. That is true to some degree. He's combo's, grabs and all other attacks are quite easy to master. But to fully utilize them is something else.​
I recommend Getting the feel of him first. Play offline story missions and practice in training mode. Fight against AI is recommendable for simply getting the feel of playing astaroth. Playing online matches is ofcourse the best practice you can get. But online matches aren't always reliable for practice. You will not be able to pause the game for example to take a quick look at the move list. And you're human opponent will likely want to be the one who wins the match. Leaving little room of experimentation. Unless ofcourse you asked someone to train with you wich is the best option.​
Astaroth is in my opinion a defensive based character. He lacks combo's that targets mid, high and low. He aslo greatly lacks speed. Although some of he's attacks are pretty fast but those are few. Defense is the key to becoming adapt in playing with every character. But this counts double for astaroth. Learn to defend against combo's and other attacks of other characters so that you will be able to seize the oppertunity to do some heavy damage. Repetion is ofcourse the best way to train you're defense. Defense is best trained online because other AI opponents will use different tactics then real people.​
Astaroth is not completly helpless on the offense. He's low grabs are very powerfull and he's combo's can inflict great damage. Playing as Astaroth is also about using you're opponents mistakes against them. Astaroth is in my opinion the most potent in punishing you're adversarie.​
Astaroth advanced
( I am afraid that I do not know some specific names of attacks or how to explain d-pad inputs)​

At the start of a match I frequently use the other version of the bullrush where astaroth will charge at he's opponent but changes direction. This will either knock him on he's back, will be blocked or is dodged. If it is blocked or dodged you will be vulnerable in the back. Or atleast...That's what you would think, and so does you're opponent. This is not really true. Once it is blocked or evaded press triangle and circle to perform a backwards stun attack with the hilt of you're axe. Once hit the other player will not be able to recover from this stun. after the hit execute a low grab for extra damage. Most of my fights people have almost never seen it coming. This will ofcourse give you the advantage of landing another succesfull ground grab, mid or other attack. Should the charge work and the other player is knocked down you can still pull the technique off be simply not moving so that he will still face you're back.​
Should the player block the backward stun move then you should consider using the backwards legsweep when you do the ''change of direction'' bullrush. This attack is commenced by D-pad down and cirlce. Ofcourse this rush technique can be combined with different attacks but I find these the most effective to my knowledge.​
Should it become predictable then you can always resort to the other starting attacks like the discus moves or any other kind of attack. Which ever you prefer.​
So the battle is commenced! You're fight is on the rail! But to win this you must try to be unpredictable. Any attack that will leave you open or will delay the time for you're next move can be met with severe consequences. When you are not able to continue you're barrage of attacks then you must rely on you're defence to create an opening to counter. You're defense must be flawless. But no ones defense will ever be. Mistakes will be made on both sides. You're defense will never be impenetrable. Our brains simply cannot keep up with every attack and combo that you're opponent will lay on you.​
When you succesfully blocked an attack that will leave the other player vulnerable you must not rely to much on hade's knee. wich is executed by pressing the direction you're facing on the d-pad. This attack is pretty fast and will knock players on their back should it interrupt a attempt to attack. experienced players will almost always see it coming. Improvise a little.​
For example:​
- After a succesfull defense you can either trick them in to thinking you are going for a grab and instead you will go for low grab, doing good damage and allowing you to gain the upperhand.​
- Very simple... Going for a grab​
- another option is ofcourse the low attacks. Discus, the shuffle kind of sweep or my invented legsweep followed up by that unblockable grab attack. I don't know if I invented it or not. But I haven't seen any other astaroth player using this costum combo. to execute you have to use a part of the combo were astaroth will make a 360 while performing a leg sweep which is followed up by a horizontal swing of he's axe. instead of using the swing in the end you must only execute the leg sweep. most of you're opponents will expect a move after the sweep. But almost none expect the unblockable grab ( hades breath?)​
This was my guide till now. I have some other place to be right now :S I will continue the guide when i have the time. In the mean time. Should any of you want to help me making this guide more understandable then i guess you can point out grammer mistakes and perhaps giving me the appropriate inputs for some of the attacks I mentioned. Should an admin find this guide helpfull then I would glady like you to edit my input information so that other people might understand. Do not edit other texts though:)​
I hope you will find the information usefull I provided thus far. I have plenty more tips and tricks I'd like to share with you but as I said I don't really have the time now.​
until next time :)​
Lord_Gagnar​

Welcome to the forums Lord_Gagnar. Since you are new, I'll run you through some basics to help strengthen your gameplay.

1. You are right that he may not be the fastest character compared to most of the cast, but he can keep up quite well with moderately fast characters like Mitsu and Kilik.

2. I know that it is your opinion that he is a defensive character, but I think he does far better on the offensive. With attacks like Bullrush (aka 66K or forward forward kick), 4B headbutt (aka back vertical) and his best options in the game... Just frame Command Grabs. If you do the the grabs that have a arrow command before the grab with perfect timing on the last to buttons pressed as well as the fastest input, you will throw a JF command grab. It is WAAY harder to grapple break than a normal grab.

3. Online may be a good tool for learning strategies and other sorts of things, but it has very significant flaws that hurt the game in more ways than I can even explain. You know that discus low sweep (aka 1A or down back horizontal) you are talking about? That is considered a lag low. Why? Well because offline you could see low coming from a mile away as well as that unblockable (4(A+B)). However, when you use it online the lag makes it unseeable until it is too late and you are forced to get hit. It is kind of hard to explain to someone who I am guessing has not read the frame data in the wiki.. so if you need me to clarify let me know.

4. If you are playing someone who is knowledgeable and can play the game decently..throwing out low throws to try and outsmart them is a VERY VERY bad idea. A good player will not automatically duck after being guarded.. so when you miss the low throw you will get punished for doing so over and over again (I'm again speaking from an offline prospective.) Not to mention throws can easily be broken by hitting the buttons for A and B attack to break a throw.

I hope this helps out in your game. If you want, we can play online and I can show you the DOs and DON'Ts of Astaroth.

Again, welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy it here! :D

hi, and welcome to 8wr! please read over this. it will teach you the notation for buttons and directional inputs so that we can all understand them. it will also make helping you and learning from you much faster and easier! feel free to message me if you have questions about it. also, take a minute to enter our chat room and say hello to some other members. the chat room is the best place to get fast help and answers, because there is almost always someone who knows the game very well in there.

thank you for the guide, and see you around!

Welcome to the forums Lord_Gagnar. Since you are new, I'll run you through some basics to help strengthen your gameplay.
1. You are right that he may not be the fastest character compared to most of the cast, but he can keep up quite well with moderately fast characters like Mitsu and Kilik.[/quote]

he's still slow :P

[/quote]2. I know that it is your opinion that he is a defensive character, but I think he does far better on the offensive. With attacks like Bullrush (aka 66K or forward forward kick), 4B headbutt (aka back vertical) and his best options in the game... Just frame Command Grabs. If you do the the grabs that have a arrow command before the grab with perfect timing on the last to buttons pressed as well as the fastest input, you will throw a JF command grab. It is WAAY harder to grapple break than a normal grab.[/quote]

He has a good offense! don't get me wrong ;) But in the end astaroth will mostly always be the one receiving combo after combo and will not be able to pull much fast attacks like many other characters. This makes him more of an defensive based character imo. He's offense is a must ofcourse or you won't be able to do much damage.

3. Online may be a good tool for learning strategies and other sorts of things, but it has very significant flaws that hurt the game in more ways than I can even explain. You know that discus low sweep (aka 1A or down back horizontal) you are talking about? That is considered a lag low. Why? Well because offline you could see low coming from a mile away as well as that unblockable (4(A+B)). However, when you use it online the lag makes it unseeable until it is too late and you are forced to get hit. It is kind of hard to explain to someone who I am guessing has not read the frame data in the wiki.. so if you need me to clarify let me know.

please do :)

[/quote]4. If you are playing someone who is knowledgeable and can play the game decently..throwing out low throws to try and outsmart them is a VERY VERY bad idea. A good player will not automatically duck after being guarded.. so when you miss the low throw you will get punished for doing so over and over again (I'm again speaking from an offline prospective.) Not to mention throws can easily be broken by hitting the buttons for A and B attack to break a throw.[/quote]

Perhaps I didn't explain that tactic so well. I ment with tricking you're opponent in to thinking you go for a grab is all about making it look like you are attempting one. Running towards him works pretty good and simply standing stil for half a second is also sometimes enough to make them go crouching. Should it fail though then I resort to one of astaroth's basics. This move is quite under appriciated. f/square, f/triangle will make astaroth lash out with a very fast partial stun move followed by an upward strike with the axe. and this will be followed with a ground grab. (d,triangle/square). It's strength comes from it's speed, partial stun and reliability. this attack is an high attack though. And the stun only applies when you hit you're oppont while he attempts to strike.

[/quote]I hope this helps out in your game. If you want, we can play online and I can show you the DOs and DON'Ts of Astaroth.

[/quote]Again, welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy it here! :D[/quote]

Thank you :) I would really like to demonstrate my moves to you :)

Back