My first impressions on SoulCalibur II HD Online

iMesmerise

[10] Knight
***WARNING, IMMINENT WALL OF TEXT AHEAD***

Let me start off by saying I was pretty excited for SoulCalibur II HD Online, and the first thing I did when I finished downloading it was well, try out the online. Right off the bat, I was unimpressed with the online features presented. The three options provided were, Ranked Match, Free Match, and Rankings. I went to free match first to join a player lobby, little did I know, there aren't any. SCII HD Online's matchmaking is One Vs. One only, no player lobbies such as SCV or SCIV before it (I know I was hoping for a replay mode like SCV, but that's not here either). This kind of upset me, but I decided to play a few games. One thing that I noticed is in online mode, you cannot skip character intros or the bits in between rounds when a player wins. That's a little thing, but I know for most players, myself included, we like to skip those bit entirely. Something a little more frustrating is that in Free Match (player match) you have to go back to the main menu to play again. No rematch, no return to character select. As far as the Net code is concerned, I've always had problems with SCV's netcode on PSN, on SCII, it's a little better for me, but I suppose it will differ from person to person. If you're someone who likes Offline modes, well, it has all of the modes of the original so there's that, and it looks good in HD. My final thoughts, I think it's kind of sad that for SoulCalibur II HD Online, the Online part feels tacked on and maybe I had high expectations, but this HD remake is a bit of a disappointment for me.

TL;DR: Great if you like playing Offline modes, Online offerings, somewhat dissapointing

Please comment if you agree, disagree, or just have anything to say about your SCII HD Online experience.

So pretty much the Online stuff is stiff and is a downgrade in online options from SC IV and V, eh, oh well, but at least the game is the same as it was before originally (all the offline modes and such), but I've read/heard that there's no dual audio in this, coming from a few sources, and that will kinda piss off a few people here and there, but hey, don't matter, will enjoy it for what it is a decade before, and to today.

So pretty much the Online stuff is stiff and is a downgrade in online options from SC IV and V, eh, oh well, but at least the game is the same as it was before originally (all the offline modes and such), but I've read/heard that there's no dual audio in this, coming from a few sources, and that will kinda piss off a few people here and there, but hey, don't matter, will enjoy it for what it is a decade before, and to today.
Yeah... I took a screenshot of the Online menu, here:

Attachments

• Snapshot_20131119_174559.jpg
    Snapshot_20131119_174559.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 791
The Net code is absolute garbage. Worst lag I've seen since SC4. This was over the course of 15 matches. All of them equally terrible. Having to watch the character intros is not a little thing, its a gigantic pain in the ass for someone who wants to sit down and play some matches really quick because they don't have a lot of time. You already have to go back to the online menu after every match (which by the way are 2 of 3 rounds which is beyond retarded). There were only two positive things about the online for me. It finds matches really quick and I didn't have any disconnects. Although there should have been on one of the matches as it seemed at one point it was running at about 5 frames per second and stayed that way the entire round. They better fix this crap and quick. I did not intend to drop $20 on something this piss poor.

Can someone tell me, if there is a record function in training mode? Or is it exactly as it was in SC2?

The Net code is absolute garbage. Worst lag I've seen since SC4. This was over the course of 15 matches. All of them equally terrible. Having to watch the character intros is not a little thing, its a gigantic pain in the ass for someone who wants to sit down and play some matches really quick because they don't have a lot of time. You already have to go back to the online menu after every match (which by the way are 2 of 3 rounds which is beyond retarded). There were only two positive things about the online for me. It finds matches really quick and I didn't have any disconnects. Although there should have been on one of the matches as it seemed at one point it was running at about 5 frames per second and stayed that way the entire round. They better fix this crap and quick. I did not intend to drop $20 on something this piss poor.
Completely agree. I wasn't experiencing the horrible netcode people were talking about until a few matches ago xD

Can someone tell me, if there is a record function in training mode? Or is it exactly as it was in SC2?
It looks to be exactly as SCII, no record function.

Well, the game's offline modes are quite extensive anyway, so you should be fine with that.

I was so excited for this game...But, not having a quality online play pretty much just kills the point of the game. Hopefully, the 360 version is better. (SF4's netcode was better on 360) If not, at least there's Killer Instinct coming out, and I can always just play SCV.

I was so excited for this game...But, not having a quality online play pretty much just kills the point of the game. Hopefully, the 360 version is better. (SF4's netcode was better on 360) If not, at least there's Killer Instinct coming out, and I can always just play SCV.
Yeah, I usually have a better online experience in SCV on XBL than PSN, so I'm hoping the same can be said for the 360 version.

Well, I just picked it up and I can confirm the voices are English only... I hated the english VO.
From the very start I suspected this was going to happen for some reason. It just seemed like one of those things that was bound to be dropped and here we are.

The matchmaking is bad (4bars can be slow motion and/or from different countries) and I've already had online games freeze at the end of win poses. Not to mention the lack of lobbies and 2 rounds only for ranked.

I can't make the floating heads scream at people before the online matches 0/10 hd release. Lol, I haven't had bad connection issues, aside from one match. The single match thing is a little silly though, playing sets with friends got really repetitive having to invite them every time.

Am I the only one not having any of the problems other people are? I've played like 15 or so matches and only had lag in a couple of them. No matter what there's gonna be at least a tiny bit of lag because you're playing online but for the most part I can't notice it. My only real gripe with the game is no team battle and extra arcade for online. Maybe they can add that with a later patch though. I'm pretty happy with this game so far.

Oh and I wonder if Inferno is unlockable? Better be :p

Back