My router keeps randomly dropping connection

mizu-kitsu

[10] Knight
I have a Blekin router model: F5D8236-4 v2

It keeps randomly dropping connection, there are times when I have a steady connection for hours but then there are times when it drops every 3 minutes. anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks!

make sure you dont have any big magnets nearby (interference), (monitors, sub woofers etc...)
make sure you have the latest driver for your hardware. visit the company's website and download it.
i would put it high up some where so the reception is better. also, if its laggy. try resetting the router by press and holding the reset button or unplug AC for 30-60 seconds then replugging it back.

if there is still an issue, i would just contact Belkin company and ask for support.

rofl Belkin routers are infamous for being 1) really shitty 2) really unreliable

Go get a cheap DLink or linksys that'll do twice as much for half the price

Edit: Oh fuck, just checked. The F5D8236-4 v2 is a N router? You're fucked.

Go get a new one, it's your only solution. Get a G. N technology is fucking terrible.

rofl Belkin routers are infamous for being 1) really shitty 2) really unreliable

Go get a cheap DLink or linksys that'll do twice as much for half the price

Edit: Oh fuck, just checked. The F5D8236-4 v2 is a N router? You're fucked.

Go get a new one, it's your only solution. Get a G. N technology is fucking terrible.

What exactly is wrong with N routers? And, If I am to get a G router, do you have any good recommendations? Thanks for the help BTW.

My friend suggested the linksys wrt54g series...

What exactly is wrong with N routers? And, If I am to get a G router, do you have any good recommendations? Thanks for the help BTW.

My friend suggested the linksys wrt54g series...

N is terrible for a few reasons but the biggest ones are that the N wifi signals are ALL NAT3, which prohibits online play on most (all?) modern consoles and that to get the extra range, N sacrifices both speed and accuracy. Don't believe what you read on the boxes, the 600mbps speeds and shit are only achieved in very unlikely setups that really no one outside the NASA can achieve on a consistant basis.

The WRT54G is good and reliable, and they recently came out with the WRT54G2 which has the same architecture but with a double-coil transmitter, so it's got some more range and is generally a lot more accurate.

Also Belkin routers are infamous for not working too well with consoles in the first place, my first router was a Belkin and refused to play online on any console even wired, and I've had troubles with 3 other Belkin models including the one you use. In most case, online didn't work at all and at best it was very fiddly and prone to disconnecting me at any time for no reason.

Back