Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Mostly disagreed.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Completely disagreed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Party Wolf

Administrator
This thread is about my list of things that I want in the new game. For those of you who don't know me, I am a moderator, front page author, tournament player, and long time fan of the SoulCalibur series. I am really passionate about casual and competitive modes in my video games, so please don't come at me like I am some elitist who doesn't care about lore and single player content.

#10 Guest Characters

This is at the bottom of my list because I think it is the least important. Since SC typically has guest characters, I would really enjoy it if Genji/Reinhardt from Overwatch made an appearance.

Genji_003.jpg

Overwatch is a game that is still being updated, so I think there is some incentive from Blizzard to let Namco borrow a couple of their characters for extra advertising. I think these characters would fit very well into the game because they both use melee weapons and the Overwatch roster is pretty dialogue centric during their fights just like SoulCalibur. Talking and fighting to me is one of the most iconic things about SoulCalibur gameplay. I feel that alone makes it natural for them to fit into the universe. To be fair though, anything is an improvement from stupid characters like Yoda and Darth Vader. What are they doing here?

#9 Vertical Verticals, Horizontal Horizontals, and Movement

What do I mean by this? In older titles like SoulCalibur 2, a lot of horizontal attacks were able to beaten with sidestep, which makes no sense given the name of the category. Horizontals were fixed for the most part over time, so I am not super stressed about Project Soul's ability to make them work in SC6.

However in the newer games, the problem of characters having verticals that CAN NOT be stepped to one direction or in rare cases both is troubling. Personally, I don't mind slight tracking to one side and welcome it, but if you are going to make a move a vertical, then it needs to be beatable by sideways movement in either direction. Otherwise you just end up having horizontals that are labeled incorrectly and that affects the meta negatively since there are aGIs designed specifically to counter verticals as well as horizontals.

I think that you could naturally solve some of these problems with better movement. The distance traveled is large in SC5 and in SC2 which feels good to me. In SoulCalibur 2, sideways movement was literally risk free against horizontal highs and mids since you could block while you move. To me that isn't good since it reduced the viability of a lot of attacks. In SoulCalibur 5, sideways and backwards movement had huge recovery, which is lame because it caused the game to have more instances where people are forced to just stand still and feel stiff.

My suggestion to fix this would be to make movement safer than it is in SC5, but contrast it from SC2 by making each character's move set have horizontals that can't be sidestepped through. I also think that if you press the guard button, then your character needs to stop moving like you do in SC1, 3 and 4.

#8 Meterless GI

Guard impact is the most iconic mechanic in the series. No other game has this and everyone likes it. GI wars is really hype to watch since it is literally a tug of war. Although GI is really effective in SoulCalibur 5 as a strategy due to meter management, you don't have that same freedom of relieving block pressure that you did in older games because you are limited in how many times you can perform a GI. Just Guard was an okay addition, but it doesn't compare to free GI in terms of how much fun you will be having in that meta.

#7 Throwback Costumes

When I played Legendary Souls in SoulCalibur 5 for the first time, I was honestly really excited to see SC4 Siegfried, SC4 Nightmare, and SE Cervantes. Getting to reuse some of the more classic and iconic costumes would be an awesome idea and I was really disappointed when I found out that it was not possible to use the costumes from Legendary Souls mode.

#6 Advanced Tutorial Mode

I think that a strong tutorial has been lacking in the series. I would like a mode that breaks down how to play your character, in general, and match ups. Showing what the notation means and each character's frame data would also be a good idea. Please also show people how to navigate practice mode. It isn't very intuitive if it is your first fighting game ever.

I have heard that BlazBlue and Guilty Geard have pretty good tutorials, but I haven't played them myself. Let me know what you'd want the game to teach you.

#5 Story Mode

I honestly haven't really been aware of the canon story when I have played SoulCalibur. You have the arcade endings sure, but that isn't necessarily what actually happens before the sequels. This irked me and I hope that they don't insist on doing this in SC6.

SC5 had the right direction in that regard, but everyone knows that the actual story that was made for 5 is trash. The sepia stills weren't exciting either.

I would also like more badass moments that SC3 had in it's story. When I was younger, moments like this got me super hype. Good dialogue, choreography, and immersion.

#4 Art direction and OST

I feel like this was at it's peak during SoulCalibur 3. All of the games before 3 were good too, but then SC4 happened. I don't want another game that looks gloomy and has an OST that I could use to help me nap. I want exciting music and exciting places in my fighting game.

Gross.

#3 Old Roster + New Roster Redesign

I feel like this is very controversial ever since SC5 (or SC4 if you weren't a fan of Star Wars). The old characters without question need to come back, but I think some of the new characters could fit in as well. They weren't received well because they didn't have a whole lot that made them unique because they were replacements.

Looking back from SC2 to SC3, you will notice that the difference between the clone characters (e.g. Kilik/Mina, Asta/Rock, Sophitia/Lizardman) have had their move sets expanded and cut to make them way more unique than their similar counterparts. I think if SC6 did something similar to this jump, then the new characters would actually feel like new characters.

For example, Xiba is always hungry right? Why not give him some gameplay mechanics where the more he eats, the more stuff he can do with his attacks. I am thinking of characters like Shun Di from VF, Sin Kiske from GG, and Chin Gentsai from KOF.

With Natsu, since she is possessed by a snake demon you could have more moves that cater to that. You could also change her stance to look fundamentally different. Make her hold her blades like Revenant from SC3 or something.

Even looking at Patroklos, he is fundamentally way different from Sophitia and Cassandra in terms of how he looks when he is fighting. They have proven that they can do that with him. People just don't like Patroklos because he is a strong character or because of his lore. Either way, he is a testament to what Namco COULD do with the actual move sets to make the new characters look less like replacements and more like different unique entities that aren't watered down.

#2 Online Ranking System

The ranking system to me has been garbage for a while. Any old noob can get the top rank by just grinding. I have seen people with 40% win rates acquire A1. This is a buzzkill to me because it feels like your rank is devalued due to it being so common. I also think A1 is a pretty lackluster title to begin with. I think Tekken's ranking system is a good model to look at since it is a lot more challenging to have the best rank. They are also much fancier than what SoulCalibur has.

latest

Ranked to me is important if you want your player base to be competitive and stick with your game for the long haul. It gives a goal for everyone to strive for. If you make it actually correlate with skill, then the top ranks will be way more exclusive and you will feel better when you get them.

#1 SoulCalibur Beta

We have seen betas for fighting games before. These are so important because they allow the fans to have a voice as to what is displeasing them in terms of balance and gameplay. We don't need or want another rushed fighting game. If we want to have a fighter that feels complete and fun on release, then this needs to happen. You already see this with Tekken via arcades.

HOWEVER, don't be like SFV where the lack of content in the beta is what the actual game is. That was stupid.

----------------------

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my wishlist <3. Excuse my grammar I made this really late at night. P.S. No infinite stages plz

Liked for being well-written and organized. I actually just changed my vote from half and half to mostly agreed upon realizing my only issues fell into two categories. Online ranking I really couldn't care much about since, if I'm playing online at all, it'd be in lobbies. But I get why it would be more appealing to non-tourney players overall, so I can support that.

Movement is a tricky thing, as you mentioned. Step guard always runs the risk of being too strong, while SC5 movement makes some people mad. I really like SC5s system if for no other reason then horizontals are far more scary. Sc2 was an extreme, but if safer movement existed in 5, there'd be a ton of horizontals that really weren't effective due to their speed and reliance on CH to get any sort of reward.

As for GIs... well it's nothing I haven't said before, but GI wars have always bugged the shit out of me despite it being a staple of Calibur. If I'm going to risk throwing a parry, give me some damage. Not another guessing game. JG was a great addition, but I doubt it will return given the mostly negative feedback + the absence of it in Lost Swords. Plus it had too many glitches. Meterless GIs returning won't make me drop the series, but it isn't exactly my definition of fun.

Personally I like SC5s soundtrack, but I admit there was a certain... "charm?" about SC3 and previous in their world ambiance.

Lastly, I like the idea of stuff like "Xiba eating gives him different abilities", etc. But I feel like the problem with the new cast was that they didn't get a chance to be fleshed out as characters. (Largely because of #5 on your list). Them being replacements would've been ok if they weren't just stand-ins on the roster with maybe 1-2 lines of dialogue in story mode. (Look at Tekken 3-4) They tried new things with Viola and Zwei, but even they felt forced and unnecessary. (Viola more so than Zwei). Them being the two extremes on the tier list didn't help their popularity either, lol.

SC3 in my opinion was nearing a "perfect formula" for the series. Clearly I have never played the game at a competitive level, and it obviously had balancing and technical issues but I feel like they should look to it for inspiration.

I agree with the ranking idea entirely.

BB and GG have a great tutorial, but iirc SC3 did as well. There's no reason not to include a mode that teaches people how to play the damn game. You shouldn't expect people to have to reach out to outside sources to do so.

I also think JG should be adjusted or removed entirely. It's just a mess and doesn't make the game more fun at all for me and I am sure many others. The GI system as it was in the past worked fine. If you want something like JG, just make Just Impacts function the same way, but a well timed GI.

I think all the new characters should stay. As PS no doubt now understands, you don't take something away from customers you've already given it to. But the old characters do need to come back. Like you said, change their fighting style or whatever. They're perfectly capable of doing this but they all need to return and there doesn't need to be any new characters, except;

I want Guts as a guest character, goddamnit! We already have 90 Greeks, what does one more dude with a big sword hurt?
1236261-guts27.jpg

Other than that, a varying and balanced cast with safer movement (not the step G kind of safe movement) will make me happier than anything.

About #8
I don't really care to have unlimited GI's again. I'd be ok with is using half of the meter count from what it took in SCV.
Just guards should be left alone in my opinion, however I feel as though maybe they should be harder to do against UA's.

Alright im going to pick this apart one by one and say where i agree and disagree.

Guest Characters - Love the idea of overwatch characters, hope it happens. never thought of that but that would be amazing. 100% agree there.

horizontals/verticals - agree, this seems like a good trade off. im a real big fan of step guard but this seems fair.

Meterless GI - yes 100%

Throwback Costumes - Sure more content is always nice but i dont care that much. i would love to use SC2 Astaroth or some shit.

Advanced Tutorial Mode - yes this should be a standard for fighting games

Story Mode - Yes this is also the best gateway for casuals into soul calibur. this coupled with an advanced tutorial mode would be excellent

Art Direction - Idk I kinda liked SC4 aesthetically. I'm not too picky but i personally like SC1-3 the most visually.

Roster - Thats an interesting take on it. Personally I would really love for them to bring back hwang and rock.

Ranked System - I agree with you but i feel like tekken is a lot harder to follow. Something more along the lines of SF5's ranking system would be better where you have thigns like bronze, silver, gold, plat, diamond and so on because thats just whats standard these days. pretty much same idea tho. I also believe that there should be a decay system that you lose points over time if you are not active you the leaderboards stay fresh.

Beta - Idk if thats going to happen but that would be amazing. I would love for sc6 to get an arcade release but that is definitely wishful thinking.

A few more that I do want to add is a PC version would be very nice also because it makes the game a lot more accessible to people since there are certain regions where consoles aren't very popular if i'm not mistaken. on top of that, it would be awesome if namco made something similar ot CFN (but of course not shitty) so that it doesn't matter what platform you are on, you can play with anyone online. im not sure how likely that would be, but i think this should be standard for fighting games in the future. I hope thats in t7 also but i doubt it. dont know how likely it is but if it is a thing then im very excited for the future of fighting game netplay.

Another request i would have is in game frame data. This is in some games, like NRS games (even though somethings the in game data is somehow wrong), VF5, DOA5 and KI, and I think it should be standard. I remember reading somewhere that Harada doesnt like giving out frame data so I dont think this is going to happen.

1) Less like Tekken. Each new Soul Calibur episode is more and more like Tekken. Tekken and VF stereotype kills Soul Calibur.
2) Keep some SC2's and other episode mechanic. I want a Soul Calibur belongs to Soul Calibur.
Some people like SC2 system mechanic, some people not. Why not improve and build on it? It is soul calibur shit.

Introduce to Marginal Guard Stun:
Based on SC2 system, my suggestion is to give Step-G, Post-GI G2, and G2-recovery a Marginal Guard Stun animation. They have Slighty, Medium and Heavy.

To apply 5 frames slighty block stun on Step-G. So an attacker's A(Block-6) is blocked by a Step-G that will now get Block-1. It can give more confident on attacker to use "unsafe on block" moves against to steppers. On the other way, attacker can get frame advantage by using a Block-3 A against to Step-G.

To apply 10 frames medium block stun animation on Post-GI's G2. Keep SC2's GI system, but only apply block stun on Post-GI's G2. Defender G2 the moves, but they still suffer the block stun disadvantage. For instance, in Post-GI, Attacker's Block-8 move become Block+2 on G2. Also, Auto-GI moves can still have frame advantage even defender G2 the moves.

To apply 15 frames heavy block stun animation on G2-Recovery.
G2-Recovery makes Raphael and Nightmare more fun to play. By preventing the move can be abused to use, just apply 15 frames marginal guard stun animation on it. That is more fair to those whiff punisher.

I'm pretty sure that it will keep the freedom and add more deep on the game. And I don't think it is difficult to code.
Think about those Marginal Guard Stun animation is more like GB which will make the game more intense and realistic.

3) Keep SC2 Wake Up system, but only make roll and tech-roll has more vulnerable frames. More tech-trap needs, but keep SC2's get up recovery speed.

4) More strict 8WR input. Let's make 85 step > 8B (Jumping move) happens. Just slighty narrow the buffer windows closer to 8:8. Then the problem will solve.

5) IMO, steping some horizontal is fine because some movement is hard to classify. Think about 44 degree horizontal slash which should be steppable. And a 180 degree slow horizontal hammer slam should be steppable in close range. Please don't overdo tracking on every horizontal. Just make sure it hit when hit; no more cut through missing hit glitches. Then that will be good enough.

6) Bring back the clean 8WR move in buffer without any other movement involved.

7) Unique character; Unique weapon.

8) Good training mode.

9) Bigger moveset on average, but make sure every single move are useful.

10) Every string has very late input windows for next motion like SC2's strings. More Cancel and variety on moves but not making it overpower.

Just brainstorming. What do you guys think?

Do you guys feel each new episode of SC is becoming more and more stiff?

Party Wolf, maybe Tekken players like Step-G.

I think SC has felt less and less like Tekken since SC2, personally. SCV is by far the farthest deviation and most unique iteration. I also think that SCV feels much less "stiff" than SC4 despite the unsafe movement. If you could just stop a step with G rather than be locked into it in SCV it would have the most "comfortable" movement in any 3d fighting game imo (and if you could do 8wr moves from neutral, begone with quick stepping and all that jazz!).

I think Tekken players like SC2 so much because it's the SC that feels most like a Tekken game lol. Then again I never played SC1.

Basically what fukou said even though i dont think sc ever felt rly stiff in the first place unlike Tekken (which many people wont like) but thats exactly why i dont like playing it.

Maybe in addition to SC5's Soul Edge meter, reintroduce Soul Gauge meter mainly for frame recovery?

Maybe add in rewards and punishments for GIs? Like 6G/4G on success/whiff would increase/decrease Soul Edge/Soul Gauge meter?

But NEwayz give me a game that I can TAKE DOWN SILENTWALL so he becomes a broken wall XP.

fukou_da_man, so you feel SC2 most like a Tekken game in all episode? That's fine. I respect your point.
IMO, SCV is a fine game. I like both SCV and SC2, but not liking SC3 and SC4. SCV did a good job on Tech-trap, Wall combo and Guard gauge meter, but I don't know why I feel it stiff on the step and GI system. Why not make a SCV + SCII fusion based on the SCII system I mentioned above?

franman, throw me some eggs. EGGS VS WALL? Who win? (evil grin) hahahaha... Anyway, thanks your advise.

Last edited:
Do you guys feel each new episode of SC is becoming more and more stiff?

Party Wolf, maybe Tekken players like Step-G.
If Tekken feels stiff it is because you don't have the execution to backdash cancel. You'd probably like it if you could do it. Glitchy movement dominating the game and whatnot.

Agree with everything except for #5. I'm not sure if trying to tell a focused story like SCV did is the way to go because too many characters get left out or they get maybe one or two episodes dedicated to them and that's it. Giving each character their own story like in SCIII and Soul Blade is the right way to go I would say.

Not sure if anyone played Dissidia 012 (Final Fantasy PSP game) but I think that is basically the perfect way to do a story in a fighting game. Story is canon (Well, canon to Dissidia), all characters get more than sufficient screen time, and it tells a comprehensive story.

They shoudl make it like SC1. Massive blockstun and attack strings that actually BS you so much you're trapped on blockstun for the duration. This will help Make Maxi Great Again.

Back