[Nebraska] Sometimes I Forget We Have Electricity

When are casuals on Wednesday nights? I might come out to these last few before the semester ends...and I want some real practice.

Online SC5 is just silly. Last few nights I've gone like 50 - 2, other times I'll get into high level lobbies and get destroyed. So inconsistent.

I've had pretty poor luck with online playing folks outside of the midwest region with regards to lag.

Nerdtron, I dunno. It sounds like a giant sperg convention, and since there isn't going to be an actual tourney for SC I see no reason to show. I love me some Tekken but I don't feel like playing that game in a tourney.

Regarding the NerdTron tournaments, here are a few things to keep in mind. They usually talk pretty big, but fail to deliver on a lot of their tournaments. If you want a SC5 tournament at a NerdTron event, make sure you are totally self-sufficient in terms of screens, systems, and everything else. Also, you are unlikely to get any players from omaha unless you post on the NerTron Facebook event page, for whatever event it is. The crowd that shows up to these things usually consists of 2-D players only, with VERY few 3-D players (I can think of 1, maybe 2).

On a side note for the NLG crowd: I'll probably be able to come next week (4/25), and I'll likely try to stay a while and get some real casuals in, or money matches if people really want them. It would be cool to get a bunch of SC5 players together.

But let me reiterate: I would love to go and have a SC5 tournament in Omaha for a change, even if that means I have to drive. We might even be able to have an exhibition match that's Lincoln v. Omaha (I'm looking at you MKL and Fozzy). But make sure if you want to do this, you are prepared to go in for real.

I heard the new Family Fun Center is shitty as hell. That's really disappointing. I really loved how great the setup was back when I lived in Omaha. It would have been a great place for tournaments (SCV or otherwise).

In Lincoln we could always use my house for Biweekly tournaments if there was good enough interest. Grill out, fight, talk shit, go from there. And then the NLG tournament could be the big one. As far as Omaha it seems like there isn't a ton of options but I think MSK has a decent scene that could be swayed into giving it more though than I could.

If I had a bigger house I'd host at mine, the grilling out part sounds like win. Unless we plan on playing outside though, I don't think I could host more than 3 or 4 people comfortably.

FFC is a shithole now. I went up there a few weeks ago for shits and giggles with a friend who I used to play a lot of games up there with, and we both left feeling incredibly underwhelmed even with low expectations. There are quite literally no FGs there besides a beat-up old 3S machine and a 360 you have to pay to play on a shitty cab setup. They had a big section of broken down machines there that had more variety than they had on the floor, but it pretty much sums up their business mentality.

Poor management and lack of maintenance really did in any scene that place had. The people who own and run FFC are incredible tightwads (full disclosure - used to work for a company they owned) and never paid to get games in or perform basic repairs. I remember many an out-of-town tourneygoer who traveled here only to play on shitty broken sticks that only locals knew. Obviously not the best experience, and of course most of those people never came back. FFC then doesn't hold tournaments due to 'poor turnout'. They also have this 'family-friendly' attitude that is somewhat antithetical to the average tourney player, which probably didn't help. Regardless, knowing how cheap arcade machine parts are to acquire on eBay, it's pretty frustrating to see they drove it into the ground with such reckless abandon.

There is apparently supposed to be a bar in the Benson area with some old arcade games, as that's their shtick to get people in the door. I support the concept but I don't think they've got SC. I've long thought about opening one of my own, but I don't think Omaha's where I'd want to do it because I want to kill myself every winter I spend here.
http://www.thebeercade.com/
http://www.thebeercade.com/forums/topic/heres-a-list-of-games-we-own/

Shoutouts to Nebraska mother nature menopausal weather. As for MSK why not cause more FG's scenes here in the Omaha/Lincoln area would make Nebraska stronger overall. Also they should cause I told everybody cause Ultrachen Tv gave MSK exposure on their show a few days ago and I told everybody that they were being talked about.

Edit: I'm down for grilling especially if there is corn on the cob or featherbones/ribs there.

well i'll be in omaha in the summer, but I might be able to come out somewhere for some casuals now and then, MSK or otherwise. Full disclosure, I work for FFC currently, and there may be plans to expand the fighting game cabs in the future. However, I agree that a lot of people are disappointed by where things ended up with that place, compared to how they used to be (myself inculded). Anyway, is anyone considering going to the NerdTron event on the 28th? Cay said he would schedule an SC5 tournament that day for 3PM if people are going to show and bring at least 1 system...

well i'll be in omaha in the summer, but I might be able to come out somewhere for some casuals now and then, MSK or otherwise. Full disclosure, I work for FFC currently, and there may be plans to expand the fighting game cabs in the future. However, I agree that a lot of people are disappointed by where things ended up with that place, compared to how they used to be (myself inculded). Anyway, is anyone considering going to the NerdTron event on the 28th? Cay said he would schedule an SC5 tournament that day for 3PM if people are going to show and bring at least 1 system...

Do you know if they'd consider selling any of the old cabs they've got laying around there? I am looking into prices for buying a System 246/256 cab so I can play the arcade versions of SC2/3 and perhaps Tekken.

I'd love to see that place turn it around, lots of good memories of weekend SF/GG/Tekken etc throwdowns there. I think they need someone in charge with some common sense though.

you'd have to talk to the managers if you wanted to ask about cabs that are available. I know there were some at the old building, but I'm not so sure about the new one.

Yeah those were the ones I was interested in. I didn't realize they moved, someone told me yesterday. How big is the new building compared to the old one?

new building has more square footage, but less games. more space devoted to attraction type stuff like paintball and lasertag. the building is nice, but it's a shift away from the demographic who likes playing actual games...

I just modded my first arcade stick with all Korean arcade parts. Korean parts are known for being much better for 3D games and are big with Tekken fans. I'm not a stick player but I'd love to bring it to casuals sometime and get some practice in on it soon.

Back