New Blazblue game! "Chrono Phantasma"

Does this Blazblue CS sequel interest you

• Hell yes!!!

Votes: 41 52.6%
  • lol no.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I might be interested, but I need more info.

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Started playing Chronophantasma... and I seriously wish they'd made Izayoi a bit harder hitting. That said, story mode... lots of just watching stuff. Reminds me of CT: Reconstruction.

Aksys already confirmed a localization so there's a high probability it's getting dubbed.
Actually, that high probability just turned to 0. (PS Blog article for X-blaze in one of the comments)

Mike Engler from Aksys says:
As for voices, it will be Japanese audio only, with hopefully coherent English text.

Beat Story Mode... god, I love having a fighting game with a real plot.

So, if we get a re-release prior to the fourth game, I think they'll make Phantom playable. Jubei's a selling point you use to draw people in for a main release, and Phantom is a major player this time around.

I'll give my full impressions on Chronophantasma later, but I'll need more time.

I can already tell if they add Phantom she is going to be projectile and teleport hell.

Pretty much.

Anyways, about Chronophantasma... I'm just going to say this is my favorite installment in the franchise, and I've played them all.

GAMEPLAY:
Having never played Blazblue competitively, I can't say anything educated about balance or competitive value, but CP has at least trimmed down the combos, favoring short and strong over death-by-1000-cuts. Overdrive is a cool new concept, even if the execution fails for some (poor Bang and Izayoi) and overpowers some (hello Hakumen, Litchi, and Valkenhayn). Fighting's as fun as ever, and features a much better Stylish mode than in past installments, mostly because it tells you how it works. Once again, you get tutorials to teach you the fundamentals, and keeps the 'fun' by having the characters teach you.

CONTENT:
Wonderful. Truly wonderful. Most of the goodies from CT and CS are back, with arcade mode, score attack, Unlimited Mars, Abyss mode, combo challenges, story mode, and online, and Teach Me, Ms. Litchi!, all with the usual gallery stuff. The netcode is strong, so you'll mostly be facing issues simply by location and connection quality. A new option is unlockable following completion of Story Mode, but that's dipping into spoilers. Definitely worth a Day 1 purchase.

SOUNDTRACK:
As hard-rocking as ever. The new songs are all amazing, fitting their characters and scenarios perfectly. The remixed songs are overall splendid, but they were not all improvements in my opinion. Whereas Marionette Purple and Weak Executioner saw improvements as battle themes, Bullet Dance and Endless Despair took hits and seemed to lose their meaning for more guitar action.

Best new songs: Fatal Judge, The Highlander, Black Aggression, Black & White.
Best remixes: Marionette Purple II, Susano'oh II, Blood Pain II, Rebellion II.

STORY:
In a twist, the story has been condensed into 3 paths as opposed to the path-per-character of the previous games: Chronophantasma, where Ragna finally start asking questions about his Azure Grimoire and what he's fighting for in the end, Noel begins taking action and steps up as Successor to the Azure, and Jin actually stops being a total tool and sorts out his priorites, Six Heroes, which irons out the tale of Bloodedge, the formation of the Six Heroes, and the band rejoining to deal with the ghosts of that past, and Sector Seven, where Kokonoe deals with an in-house issue in Part 1, and Litchi, Bullet, and Carl seek out both her and Relius for answers and vengeance in Part 2. The gag endings remain, appearing with simple 'Choose 1 for plot, 2 for laughs' amidst the dialogue. There's a lot of dialogue to sift through, and no steady combat in the early stages, but it's a rollercoaster of emotion and plain ol' awesomeness that will leave you thinking the good kind of WTF if you haven't spoiled yourself already.

Finally got around to picking this up.

Every character, including my main Jin, feels so incredibly foreign and difficult to use. It may be that I played too much DOA5, or it may be the changes had become so dramatic, it's hard get feel for the characters I once played. Mind, I haven't unlocked Terumi or Kagura yet, but hopefully one of the two will feel better.

Finally got around to picking this up.

Every character, including my main Jin, feels so incredibly foreign and difficult to use. It may be that I played too much DOA5, or it may be the changes had become so dramatic, it's hard get feel for the characters I once played. Mind, I haven't unlocked Terumi or Kagura yet, but hopefully one of the two will feel better.

Jin is an entirely different character from his previous incarnations. They trimmed the fat from his moveset and made him much easier to use.

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but Terumi is DLC, while Kagura is in-game unlockable. >_>
Yep, I know, hence why I said I haven't unlocked them yet.

Jin is an entirely different character from his previous incarnations. They trimmed the fat from his moveset and made him much easier to use.

He feels substantially more difficult to me. 5B5C214B doesn't knock down anymore, 6C can't be dash cancelled,etc. He doesn't feel easier to me, but more dependent on meter.

Easier to his earlier versions or not, he is bar none the easiest BEST character in this version of the game.
HE's top 5 and super basic, both in combos and neutral. He's the ultimate starter character for any game.

Easier to his earlier versions or not, he is bar none the easiest BEST character in this version of the game.
HE's top 5 and super basic, both in combos and neutral. He's the ultimate starter character for any game.

Oh I know he's quite powerful in this version, easily on par or better than his CT self thanks to his CS gains. I'll figure him out if Kagura doesn't pan out for me (still need to unlock him).

Skipped through the rest of the story to unlock Kagura quickly and started playing him.

Kagura's special moves feel pretty satisfying and he doesn't feel too overwhelming to play. That said, I'm having a hard time linking his combos and getting a good sense of which stance has which moves. He feels fairly slow, Hakumen's speed class or slower, even. Not quite sure how to poke with him yet, either.

I decided to do some challenge mode combos with Jin, Izayoi and Kagura. So far, Kagura was the most successful. I'm having a hard time doing air-combos and jump cancels and Jin's challenge combos are all really difficult. Meanwhile, I can't seem to follow the overall gatlings for Izayoi or Kagura (seems like his 6A links to 6B or just B, but no 5C linking, only 3C... very weird). Its interesting that Kagura isn't mentioned as being friendly to newcomers despite is lack of complex motions, but I suspect the timing and the wealth of his drive moves, not to mention his speed, gives him a big learning curve.

I decided to do some challenge mode combos with Jin, Izayoi and Kagura. So far, Kagura was the most successful. I'm having a hard time doing air-combos and jump cancels and Jin's challenge combos are all really difficult. Meanwhile, I can't seem to follow the overall gatlings for Izayoi or Kagura (seems like his 6A links to 6B or just B, but no 5C linking, only 3C... very weird). Its interesting that Kagura isn't mentioned as being friendly to newcomers despite is lack of complex motions, but I suspect the timing and the wealth of his drive moves, not to mention his speed, gives him a big learning curve.

I find this hilarious considering Kagura was hyped up as a beginner-friendly character by ASW. Because stances and charges are beginner-friendly.

Irony aside, I think my list of mains for CP has finally changed. I've gone from Team Main Character (Ragna, Jin, Noel) to Ragna, Terumi, and Izayoi.

I find this hilarious considering Kagura was hyped up as a beginner-friendly character by ASW. Because stances and charges are beginner-friendly.

Irony aside, I think my list of mains for CP has finally changed. I've gone from Team Main Character (Ragna, Jin, Noel) to Ragna, Terumi, and Izayoi.

Yeah, I remember hearing that too, but running through the strategies section of the tutorial, they tend to be explicit about who's beginner friendly.

I think he's easier than Hakumen, at least. You can press buttons and cool stuff happens, which is a sort of beginner friendly thing. Noel had the same idea going on with her stuff to, but Noel's gatlings have a more logical flow to them. I'm not sure if everyone thinks this sort of mashing is truly beginner friendly, though. Some might argue that it's a bit overwhelming or that they can't make sense of it. I'm uncertain myself, but at the very least, the game's command list now has all the chain revolver inputs.

BTW, isn't Siegfried in SC5 listed as a beginner friendly character? Stances and all? Maybe they just look at input ease and forgo everything else like stances and stuff.

For Kagura at least, I like his inputs for supers, a much easier and more logical set of inputs than the old Alpha charge character inputs for supers that SF4 reverted to.

Back