New/Returning Weapon Styles

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but I really hope one of the new characters has a European longsword. It's such a simple weapon, and yet, to my knowledge, it hasn't been in the series once. Not even as one of the CaS movesets in SC3. Though maybe the simplicity is why it hasn't been done? Too boring, maybe?
Also, I think a sai-wielding character would be a pretty cool addition.

Well, I can think of a couple reasons:

1. They might think that having two katana users fulfills a type of a weapon style similar enough to a longsword sufficiently. And they might think that longswords are just less attractive than what they already have with Siegfried/Nightmare great sword styles.

2. Historically, the longsword would've been well on its way out of use by the time of the game's setting in late 16th century (although, whether this is relevant is debatable).

Well, I can think of a couple reasons:

1. They might think that having two katana users fulfills a type of a weapon style similar enough to a longsword sufficiently. And they might think that longswords are just less attractive than what they already have with Siegfried/Nightmare great sword styles.

2. Historically, the longsword would've been well on its way out of use by the time of the game's setting in late 16th century (although, whether this is relevant is debatable).
That does make sense, actually. In order for a standard longsword to have any appeal, it would probably need some kind of gimmick attached to the moveset. Plus, I can't even think of an appropriate idle stance that hasn't already been used by another character. Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Raphael, Amy, and even Darth Vader, whose stance would probably look a bit too similar to Mitsu's if the lightsaber was replaced with a regular sword.

But I wouldn't say the historical aspect of it would be entirely relevant. I mean, weaponized scythes (there were war scythes but they're more like spears) and chakrams the size of hula hoops weren't exactly a thing at any point, while longswords, though not super common by the late 1500s, were still in use up to the 17th century.

I'd like to see someone with a three-sectioned-staff. Sickle and Chain might be cool too.
I was literally going to post that I want to see a three-sectioned staff then saw you already had! Awesome :D I love the concept of this weapon and it could look really cool with all the twirling. Kinda like a combination of Kilik and Maxi.

I'd like them to tweak some of the Create a Soul styles from III into proper characters, like the Wave Sword, Grieve Edges, Kusarigama, and Katana Shuriken. It would add some variety.
I too would like the return of 'styles' or at least have some of them that never got turned into regular characters return.

Actually... we don't have someone who uses a flail...
Not something I'd ever thought about but it could be interesting. I imagine it working a little like Maxi in that you twirl it and use timing-based inputs, but slower and not so 'flashy', probably more damaging.

Wish I could think of something myself but 3-section staff is all I wanna see new :D Maybe some kinda club could be interesting. Baseball bat could be the joke weapon for it XD.

For returning, I'm a broken record. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amyamyamyamy*record scratch noise*

A fucking staff-wielding sorceror. Or a classic bastard sword. I'd also take a flail and shield.
Bastard sword, huh?
Guts-black-berserkmusou.png

That does make sense, actually. In order for a standard longsword to have any appeal, it would probably need some kind of gimmick attached to the moveset. Plus, I can't even think of an appropriate idle stance that hasn't already been used by another character. Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Raphael, Amy, and even Darth Vader, whose stance would probably look a bit too similar to Mitsu's if the lightsaber was replaced with a regular sword.

I'd say make it a medium speed moveset with a fair bit of stance changes, and make sure to utilize halfswording in the style. Incorporate a lot of grappling as well. Just making a longsword that actually was used in a similar way to a real one would be a pretty unique style in Soul Calibur.

As for Idle stances, any of these could work(make the others actual stance changes):

Ochs(might be too close to Mitsu's Mist Stance)

LOls.jpg

Pflug(too close to standard Mitsu?)
LPUls.jpg

Alber(unique idle)
Als.jpg

Vom Tag
VDPDrs.jpg

These are actual medieval stances:
STC.jpg

Mage staff CAS from 3. Having a staff that grows and shrinks, either wider or longer, was a cool concept. I would like to see this return some day maybe in a future SC game

When it comes to my favorite obscure styles, I personally really liked the Mishima characters, the Kunai (Greed) and the Grieve Edge (Valeria) styles, I know they are never going to return, but I'd be happy to see them if they decide to bring them back, as for new styles, an actual claws style would be very cool to see, I know we technically have Voldo, who I like a lot, but he mostly relies on kicks, elbows and body spinning attacks, I'd like to see a more cerebral claws user.

I'd like unarmed combat( heiachi style), Viola style and Zwei style to come back

As for new styles, it would be very nice to get a knife/bow style character (kinda like Ezio from SCV) and a gunvielder style character (uses medievil gadgets and guns)

Speaking of returning weapon styles, something has to be said about the VAST diversity of weapon styles in SC3. Many of the CAS/COTLS were fascinating and I would welcome some of these styles being fleshed out. The coolest concept IMO was Hualin (mage staff style). A staff that can grow long, wide, whatever. Unfortunately she was probably bottom of the bottom tier. hardly any combos at all, not many quick moves. I didn't care, I had a blast with her. The other one I liked was Revenant (wave sword style). He wasn't nearly as ASS-tier, but still on the lower end of the totem pole.

SC3 was obviously an experimental game. The game itself was riddled with HUGE imbalances, Variable cancel, And a general wonki-ness to the mechanics. Despite those flaws, you have to admit that this game was innovative, COTLS was awesome, best SP content in a SC game so far IMO.

But anyway, I would love to see some of these weapon styles revisited. GROH seems pretty innovative to me, 2 swords that can become one? Yes! I am very interested in playing him.

Have to agree that I would love to see a sorcerer fighting style in SC. I've wanted this for ages. The game has so many unusual fighting styles that I think it could accommodate it. I'd envision something about controlling space, but in an even more long term way than traditional zoning characters; things like laying traps and controlling areas with lingering effects, along with projectiles and so on. Would be lit!

Since Groh looks like an anime protgonist, I'd like to see some more interesting and outlandish weapons, Stuff like A khopesh, a Flail, a weird Egyptian polearm thingy, a Full arm kind of thing that has a hidden blade above the hand for increasing range, Whatever Ashlotte uses ( cause i want ashlotte and i'd like to see what they would do with her even though she is NEVER going to make it), A longsword held backwards like the apprentice (except not OP and without force shenanigans) and like some really weirdly shaped blades and clubs and stuff. Also can we have a normal sized axe? Not an Astaroth sized axe, it'd just be cool to see a one handed axe that is ONE axe. Just a nitpick though.

I'd be willing to pay for most of these (Especially if it has anything to do with ashlotte), but I would buy any style in a heartbeat for DLC.

My dream is a character with a ball-and-chain flail. An heavy warrior with a one-handed flail and a big shield. Something like him:
fh_menu-conqueror_ncsa.jpg

I personally think it'd be a shame not to see zwei and viola, given how unique theit styles are. Its not like I would not be able to livee without them, but I would pay to play them, especially if I can make CaS of them.

While everything in 6 has likely already been determined, who knows, maybe in 7 or some DLC we could get some character ideas we present as options in the future.

Idea One

I've already seen some expressing interest in an archer. With shows like arrow and the attention characters like hawk eye and such are getting. The time seems right for such a character. With Arrow we even have the green Arrow demonstrating badass skill in melee combat. The way I'd see such a character working is have strong ranged base attacks with weaker break away type attacks designed to disable and escape melee more than focus on it. In melee I'd expect them to use martial arts, stabbing with their arrows, and possibly whacking with their reinforced bow. At range I can see them having several attacks, possibly including special arrows. I can see as a way to limit the brokenness of being able to stay at range by limiting the more powerful ranged attacks damage through charging the bow.

What I would not like to see is some weird bow blade hybrid or strange transformer bow. There's arrows to stab with, martial arts, and the bow itself being potentially reinforced. Let's keep the focus on the bow and it's component parts. I'd like to feel like an archer occasionally forced into melee, not a blade wielder that can occasionally shoot off a random ranged attack.

Idea Two

Someone who wields a military flail as I've seen many people asking for such and would like to see it myself. Someone has mentioned that a nunchaku is a flail, but it is a very specialized type of flail as different from a military flail as a butter knife is from a claymore. The two weapons are not even similar in how they are wielded or function. I picture such a style being very interesting and "stance" timing based. I picture the individual twirling the flail and depending on when during the twirling they decide to attack acting as a different stance in terms of what moves are available. In addition during a combo the next action can similarly be shifted by waiting to strike based on the follow-through twirl. Some of the fun of such a style is getting a feel for the timing of your combos, so you kind of flow like a dance.

What I don't think is necessary and would not like to see is an extending flail. Give it a consistent length. This will also help separate it from Ivy's weapon style. I also don't want to see the flail hanging limp except when attacking, it's boring.

Idea three

Mace and heavy or tower shield is another one I've seen bantered about. I like this idea as, while it adds another shield user to the game, it does so in a different way. Unlike the other two, this one would be a slower stronger less agile style. I'll leave this to others on how they'd like to further differentiate it. I'm growing sleepy. Might add other ideas to the thread tomorrow after I sleep.

Everyone add their own ideas, discuss, etc.

Back