New SCV CRITICAL GAUGE / METER - Information and Discussion

It's still only day 2, so maybe I'll get used to it over time...

But I want the old GI back. The new one is just a waste of meter better spent on BE's or CE's. This change actually put a premium on moves that have auto-GI capabilities now.

And for me, JG's are very difficult to pull off, although I always had trouble with just-frames to begin with. This is worse though cause at least with JF's, it's just a matter of practice until you get the set timing ingrained into muscle memory. With JG, you also have to know the hit properties of an opponents' string. I'm missing that satisfaction you get when you can anticipate your opponent going with a quick BB or poke attack after your string, and GI'ing their attack to continue your offensive pressure.

This is really the one gameplay change I don't like in SCV in otherwise a very fun, fast-paced game.

But I want the old GI back. The new one is just a waste of meter better spent on BE's or CE's. This change actually put a premium on moves that have auto-GI capabilities now.
It's a "get out of mixup free" card now, which is a big help if you're having trouble stopping your opponent's offensive momentum. Properly used, it can change the tide of a round. GI certainly serves its purpose, and auto-GI having an actual purpose is a big improvement. Also, because GI costs meter, it opens up the option of GIing an opponent's attack and making them choose between eating a combo or using their own meter to reGI. If you play a character who isn't as meter dependent as your opponent's character, this can be a very smart tactic to drain both of your meters.

I just wish GI didn't costs meter on whiff. It's bad enough when you can get whiff punished for it, we didn't need to add salt to the wound and twist the knife by draining meter as well.

Yeah it can be argued that people can just arbitrarily mash GI but getting whiff punished should be enough. I hope they patch that out but I know Namco doesn't give a flying elephant shit.

I just wish GI didn't costs meter on whiff. It's bad enough when you can get whiff punished for it, we didn't need to add salt to the wound and twist the knife by draining meter as well.

Yeah it can be argued that people can just arbitrarily mash GI but getting whiff punished should be enough. I hope they patch that out but I know Namco doesn't give a flying elephant shit.
If it didn't cost meter on whiff then it would be overpowered any nobody would use the much more skill based JG.

well im start realising that the new GI is for this situations...imagine you are just being guard breaked, and you are about to die, all the viewers of the tournament think you are dead at this point, but wait!...you have 50% of the gauge, the only thing you can do is make a GI to save your ass XD, and you perform the GI, and the crowd yells because you make a come back from hell XD
Reading back to this, I wonder now if it would be possible to create a Daigo moment in SC5?

Reading back to this, I wonder now if it would be possible to create a Daigo moment in SC5?
I succeeded on JG Phyrra's entire CE into a 3B CE with Patroklos. I was so close to getting a RO too. It's totally possible.

The game is out now, so I would to make sure the original post is as accurate as possible.

If anyone can find anything they would like to contribute or if I'm missing anything at all, please post and I'll update. Although the original list was written based on the early builds for the game, it still feels fairly accurate in the final version

The only unclear things are the things that don't give much meter, but might grant a tiny a bit (see original post).

Also I'm guessing that there's no longer guard burst on flashing YELLOW health bar. ^^;;

It seems like damage is reduced and scaled when your health bar reaches low enough to change the color of the health bar to orange. If anyone has any accurate information on it (say, reduces attacks by 10% or something), please post

Thaanks

Remember back in early SC4 the guard break was so small you'd see a CREETICAL FEENISH almost every round? Then they bumped up the guard break so the game could resemble a normal, competent fighter?

They desperately need to do that now with SC5's meter.

We've all seen our fills of Brave/Critical Edge moves by now. There's no need to get a free CE/2 free BE's on your last round, especially if any decent player might have already built up meter on his own to actually earn a comeback. There's a reason why I left MvC3 and it sure as hell wasn't to see something so similar in Soul Calibur.

If you learn to JG more effectively then you won't eat those free CE/2 BE moves in the last round. Saved my ass plenty of times against Cervantes.

Back