New SCV CRITICAL GAUGE / METER - Information and Discussion

A technical question or perhaps an idea, with the just guard feature added to game-play, is there a possibility I could just-guard a part of a string move then do a GI follow-up on the next upcoming attack.

Example: Pyrrha does BB string on Natsu, Natsu JG the first B can she GI the second B given that she has enough gauge?
good idea, that should work

(assuming GI is 11 frames like in sc4 i believe)
I'm pretty sure GI starts at frame 2 and ends at frame 8. 11 frames is certainly wrong though.

I'm pretty sure GI starts at frame 2 and ends at frame 8. 11 frames is certainly wrong though.

my bad , after checking it out, active 2-3 frames is the range for JI and active 4-8 is normal (the entire impact animation is 11 frames though, which is where i got my number)

He's asking for GI's to be hit range dependent and not cost meter, and adding another system which is redundant on top of that. He is asking for needless complexity so he can relive SC1 GI through rose colored glasses.

The fact is, hardly anyone who was good at the game used GI's at a high level. Why? Because they did too little. They were hit range dependent (HM/ML) and had a huge whiff window. Now, requiring GI to have meter means when you have meter and they don't, looking to GI becomes a viable means to instigate offense, since if they have no meter, they can't RE-GI.

Now good players actually would WANT to use them.

On top of that, his quote about "Fall Down Nonsense" means he clearly doesn't understand the purpose of 4G/1G in SC4, which was to RESTORE SOUL GAUGE. It makes you fall down so you don't get both a mixup AND restore Soul Gauge.

I'm just tired of him pining for something that sucked, and frankly, he doesn't understand why.

Of course I know that 4G/1G restored your Soul Gauge in SCIV. It's just that... well, just look at them! They are awkward. They just look clumsy and stupid as they fall flat on their face. It's an aesthetic issue. They could have restored your gauge but had the same, excellent, original parry animation from SC1,2,3.

The physics just never felt right with SCIV parries. Something is just a bit off. It's hard to describe, but they were just clumsy and awkward LOOKING. Although it was cool that you could parry someone into a wall and go for a wall combo. Or you could sometimes (glitchingly) parry someone off the stage!!! LOL

I didn't even know about half of this, guess i made the right choice to join up after all, you guys are serious soulcalibur! neat. :)

I joined just because I was curious about what the terms used mean (e.g.2K) and of course...my love for SC series! Im STILL unfamiliar with the terms though...hmm...

Excuse me,
Can someone please elaborate more on the Guard Burst system for me?

1. How similar it is to the "guard bursting" in SC4?
2. Do we still break equipments?
3. In SC4, if we break the opponents' Soul Gauge, we have half a second to press A+B+K for CF. What will happen in SC5? Stunned opponent to do as we please? Or we need to enter specific command?

Thanks.

Excuse me,
Can someone please elaborate more on the Guard Burst system for me?

1. How similar it is to the "guard bursting" in SC4?
2. Do we still break equipments?
3. In SC4, if we break the opponents' Soul Gauge, we have half a second to press A+B+K for CF. What will happen in SC5? Stunned opponent to do as we please? Or we need to enter specific command?

Thanks.
1. Same concept
2. Looks like it but i haven't seen anyone in their underwear yet(THANKFULLY). Will have to wait for the CaS demo to know more
3. No CF are not a feature in SC5. Free combo or Critical Edge during the stun

Hmm.. because from what I've seen in videos, there are no 3 equipment slots to destroy near the lifebar like in SC4.

And what about Just Guard?
If performing Just Guard is so beneficial frame wise, don't cost meter and gains meter, why not abuse JG and leave behind Guard Impact?

When we should use JG and when we should use GI and which one is more beneficial?
Thanks.

Hmm.. because from what I've seen in videos, there are no 3 equipment slots to destroy near the lifebar like in SC4.

And what about Just Guard?
If performing Just Guard is so beneficial frame wise, don't cost meter and gains meter, why not abuse JG and leave behind Guard Impact?

When we should use JG and when we should use GI and which one is more beneficial?
Thanks.

JG is supposedly as hard as Just Impacts so not everyone will be able to JG every move in the world. It does come with the risk of missing it and getting hit just like GI. Some characters could possibly make one of the options more useful than the other.

Ex.
Maxi- I probably would use GI on him because his stances may make it hard to judge the timing for JG
Pyrrha- Pretty straight forward probably a little easier to judge the timing for JG and whiffed GI can get you killed.

Just my thoughts on it.

I joined just because I was curious about what the terms used mean (e.g.2K) and of course...my love for SC series! Im STILL unfamiliar with the terms though...hmm...

2k means down and kick, the 2 represents the direction assuming the joystiq was a 9 was thingy with 1 being downback, 9 being upforward and 5 being neutral. ala:
1 2 3

a b and k represent horizontal, vertical and kick attacks respectively if Im not mistaken. Hope this helps.

My pleasure, on a separate note if y'all check this vid out at 2:23 you see maxi whiff a GI and doesn't lose any meter. In the older vids when you whiffed a GI it still cost meter so unless Im mistaken this is a new development.

Y'all think this might mean GI's don't cost bar anymore or whiffing GI's doesn't?

My pleasure, on a separate note if y'all check this vid out at 2:23 you see maxi whiff a GI and doesn't lose any meter. In the older vids when you whiffed a GI it still cost meter so unless Im mistaken this is a new development.

Y'all think this might mean GI's don't cost bar anymore or whiffing GI's doesn't?
Auto GI's don't take meter.

i really want to know....how is the correct execution of a critical edge, some sites say that is done with 236236 A+B+K, and here say is only done with A+B+K+G....i really want to know.....respond me please

PD:sorry for my bad english :p

i really want to know....how is the correct execution of a critical edge, some sites say that is done with 236236 A+B+K, and here say is only done with A+B+K+G....i really want to know.....respond me please

PD:sorry for my bad english :p

It is 236236 A+B+K or 2626 A+B+K

Equipment Breaks.
Is it still in?

I don't see any equipment slots to destroy near the lifebar, but I could've sworn I've seen one of Hilde's leg armour breaks.. :( Can someone elaborate more on this?

-How it is different from armour breaking in SC4?
-Can you still destroys enemy's armor so they fight in their undies again like in SC4?

I ask this because I hated the concept. It was downright ugly to fight in your undies and it was never cool.

Equipment still does break. For example -

Siegfried - His pauldrons break off.
Mitsu - His shirt breaks off.
Viola - Hood goes missing.
Raph - Hat drops off

But beyond that...I don't think I recall any more portions of clothes and what not vanishing due to sustained damage. For CAS it may be another matter altogether, though.

Theres no equipment slots this time in SCV - Stats are no longer tied to equipment. But I think for realism, partial equipment destruction is still in, but DOES NOT affect your stats in any way, its only cosmetic.

And no, I dont think you can whack your enemy down to their undies again.

Back