New to Competitive/"Advanced Soul Calibur and Nightmare.

Here is my general philosophy on Nm:
Keep pushing forward. but at a decent distance most of the time.
He doesn't really need to be close in all the time because he has this Dhalsim-like range with that sword. Nm also does great damage, so if someone rushes me- or just l;eaves themselves open by some mistake or movement- I can just throw out a quick move and knock em down and that's when it gets really fun. I really like knockdowns. That's when I basically get to play nm baseball. HOME RUN!!! RING OUT!

Another thing about me- if this was sf I'd be all for the frames and whatnot, but I'm rather new to 3d fighting outside of "casual" play- although I have played them a lot. It's not like I know exactly which move can punish the startup of a Yun-Seong Poke, like I do in Super Turbo where I can hit Ryu's fireball startup with st chun hp,st mp, st mk, nj hk , super xxtensho or a lucky sweep. Basically i wanna learn how to learn this... Confusing, yes. in sf id start with my standard pokes and figure out how i can use them, is this true of 3d?

Also, sf mixup is usually two way (hi-low), vf is 3 (hlm) on "Easy mode" and tekken has a lot of hi low. But soul cal has a TON of ways to hit somebody, you can step diagonally back and attack, then cancel the attack (ex: sc2 nm). So yeah, that isn't quite to the point of being intuitive yet.

Anybody got any bnb's? Also I'd like to know the spacing for these. I don't want to do the sc equivalent of a blind jump in when attempting a combo.

IS there anything like footsies in this? It would be hard for me to explain and it sounds gay, but it's an sf thing. Whiffs in this are dangerous so really I don't think I would be doing some whiffed poke at mid range to send a message.

Alright this is my philosophy on Nightmare, always wanted to post it and this thread is a good excuse. Haven't played this game in a while so lets see if I get my points across.

Nightmare is a very versatile character. I have seen all types of play styles with him some very effective and some lacking in evolution.

The three styles I will talk about are Safemare, NSS NM and GS NM. Attributing to safety, spacing+range, and aggression.

Some players can incorporate all three of these styles into their game. I, am one of those people. But what is the actual difference in these styles?

Playing safemare or my understanding of playing Nightmare safely is this. You rely on throws, AGA to lock down your opponent's offense, lots of 3B and sidestep to whiff punish. The basic idea for offense is forcing your opponent in situations where he has to worry about ducking throws or getting hit with 3B. Main focus here is not spamming unsafe moves like 33B, but rather being calculating about opportunities to use them. So eventually it evolves to spacing, so moves like 11K and 3AA and 1A show up to control range. The most frequent risk taken here is with WRB.

NSS NM at least for me started out as a fun way to play NM. It's basically what it sounds like you spam Night Side Stance taking advantage of it's huge back step. When done right, the style opens up an ugly ass whupping of whiff punishing. It's mostly away to punish aggression, it has multiple ways it can be set up, after AGA on block, 1K on hit as examples. It can be very scary and makes your opponent think twice, especially when he eats NSS A+B a couple times. The main point of this style is spacing but it isn't exactly that safe against some characters, so the style adapts NSS G, Ag and bA for spacing. This spacing style has a very low throwing percentage.

GS NM is the most aggressive style there is for playing NM. It's what my friend Danman uses regardless. Many Nightmare players incorporate GS into their game, but very few actually play an all out aggressive NM. The concept behind this style is using grim stride to constantly pressure your opponent. Despite the exposure to punishment a player ignores this for the prospect of doing more damage. When I was working on this style, I basically saw every knocked down opportunity as a chance to enter into GS. GS A is probably the most powerful tool NM has, but GS alone is an even bigger threat. When you close in at your opponent it leaves you with a ton of options, including Grabs, FC Grabs, WRB etc. Aside from that the biggest tool in your arsenal is 66KGS, you can do just 66K to throw them off. On knockdown you can do 33BGS which immediately puts your opponent back under pressure.

Eventually you can put this all together. For me it's how my style with Nightmare evolved. Depending on the match up I can switch to any of these styles. Nightmare is a character that entices rage and anger, pick a style that suits you and have fun evolving.

66K, 1K, 6K, 3K are my main pokes. 9B and 9K are great. Learn to aga then to do both jf versions (slow and fast). Throw a lot, and get used to whiff punishing that's how I get my offence going. Number one thing I find to help his pressure game is wake up.
Can you help me with my nightmare please?

Wow, talk about thread necrophilia...that's what were here for, to help people new to NM improve their overall game and assist with problems they are having :sc2nm1:

lol ok, so my nightmare is alright, i need help on poking, i feel like i poke at the wrong times and i need to improve on my wake up and throw game

Well the first question would be, what pokes do you use, and when do you use them?

i use: 11k, 4k, 1k, 6k(seldomly) and i AGA alot.I like to use 1k and 4k for interupts and 11k on wake up or for extra space at mid range

Generally what works for me (Take it as you will, it may not work for others), I use 11K, 66K, and 1K religiously. I sparingly use 6k, mostly if I see a ring out possiblity. I also use 11_77B as a low poke as well, it's a semi-fast akward animation move that can catch people off guard. 9K is a good one also for grab hungry pricks that like to stay in your face.

On opponent wake up, I go for 2 A+B, A+G, 66 A+B, 66 B+K, or 1A, depending on how scared I have them with mix ups and which mixup I'm going for at the time.

Back