[Oct 20, 2012] MOK 2 (SCV, TTT2, SF, MvC, VF, KOF) (Cedar Rapids, IA)

xiang

Super Moderator
[KEEP IN MIND ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO ANY UPDATES AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE EVENT DATE.]

VGF site: http://www.videogamingfederation.org/
MOK homepage: http://www.videogamingfederation.org/m-o-k-1/

You can find the Pre-registration Listing here.

When and Where

When: October 20, 2012
Where:
BattleZone Games
4333 Czech Lane Northeast, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Shop Number: (319) 378-9663
http://www.battlezonegames.com/

Games (and rounds)

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 3/5 rounds, 3/5 matches. [Solo mode banned.]
Soul Calibur V - 3/5 rounds, 3/5 matches.
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - 3/5 rounds, 2/3 matches.
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition - 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches.
Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 - 3/5 matches.
King of Fighters - 2/3 matches. [3v3 character battle]
Persona 4 Arena - 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches.
MYSTERY TOURNAMENT - ????

-All games will switch to 3/5 matches for finals (unless otherwise specified). Finals are considered to be Loser’s, Winner’s and Grand Finals. Grand Finals may be 4/7 if we feel we are doing good on time.

-All tournaments are double-elimination. We will break tournaments into smaller pools as necessary.

-All games will be patched to their most up-to-date versions with all character DLCs allowed, unless otherwise specified in the "Rules" section below.

-All games will be on PS3, although some 2D games (specifically SF) might be played on XBOX, so please be sure to bring both PS and XBOX sticks/controllers.

-Stations will be either CRT or lag-free monitors. In other words, EVO standard.

-We will be streaming our event. We’ll have more info as the event gets closer, including a link to the stream.

-This line-up is subject to change at any time, especially if new releases or updates occur. Depending on feedback, there may be other games that end up making the final cut.

Registration and Fees

Click This Link To Register

As with all big events, we're going to do pre-registration to help us plan for and fund the event. But, there are some special, interesting exceptions this time around. First, prices:

Entry Fee: $10 per game
Now until August 30: Venue fee = $5
September 1 and on: Venue fee = $10

$5?!?! Damn skippy. And the venue fee will not go above $10, but I still want to encourage people to pre-register. How? Well, if you pre-register you get entry into a special drawing for a monitor. AT NO EXTRA COST. Skip to the prizes section below and check out the Asus monitor raffles for more info.

Payouts, Bonuses, Sponsors/Partners and More

Paying out to more than top 3 is, in our opinion, a much better way to run an event. 1st place still gets paid the vast majority, but more players walk away with some cash and feeling good, so in lieu of UFGT, PowerUp, and other events like them, we are adopting a payout scale that differs from the standard 70/20/10:

8 – 9 entrants: Winner Take All
10 – 31 entrants: 70/20/10 (1st/2nd/3rd place)
32 – 63 entrants: 60/15/10/5/5/5 (Top 5)
64 – 95 entrants: 60/15/10/5/5/5/5/5 (Top 8)
96+ entrants: 55/20/15/10/5x8 (Top 12)

All divisions are percentages of the entry fee pot total. You’ll notice that at the 64-entry level the percentages add up to more than 100%: At the 64-entry level we’ll start adding more funds to the payouts so that we can give more people more money! The amount will still be taken as a percentage of the total entry fee pot WITHOUT the extra money included.

Partners/Sponsors:

Battlezone Games
TV package special (via Dilly; see below for more)

Bonuses and Prizes:

We will be doing some raffles/drawings in-between each game's final 8 or so matches that we put up on the big screen. We'll have some good stuff and some crazy, off-the-wall (probably worthless...) stuff. Everyone who enters a tournament will be automatically entered in these pointless drawings. Last year we gave away some movies, some crappy on-the-go games, and a bunch of comics.

(POSSIBLE) BONUS POT FOR TTT2: Thanks to a gracious offer put forth by a TZ mod, Dilly, he will donate a sizeable portion of his commission for anyone that signs up for Dish Network through him. (All of the details of his offer can be found by clicking link above or clicking here.) Just send him a PM with the subject line "Dish Network - MOK", and he'll walk you through the steps.

The only catch is that at least 5 people have to sign up. If we don't make that threshold we don't get anything. BUT, since there's little risk involved in trying, there's no reason for me not to mention it. By the way, I am planning on switching through him, so we actually only have to get 4 other people. I'll keep tally on how many sign-ups he gets. Keep in mind, too, that it doesn't have to be someone from TZ: If you know a family member or friend that is looking to change their TV service, Dilly can hook them up and still have their contribution go towards the pot! [Tally = 1]

ASUS MONITOR RAFFLES: There are going to be TWO monitor raffles this year.

1) The first raffle is going to be a pay-per-ticket raffle. We will be raffling off at least one of the ASUS monitors used by every major tournament, including EVO. Tickets are $1 a piece, or 6 for $5. You can purchase tickets at the event, or visit the registration page to purchase tickets via PayPal. We will raffle off one monitor, no matter what, but if we get enough to purchase more, we will do so and give them all away. The raffle drawing will happen at the event before the finals. Also, if you are just a spectator, feel free to buy tickets and contribute. :D

2) The second raffle is also going to be for an Asus monitor, but only those that pre-register will be entered. If you pre-reg, there's no need for you to do anything as I'll have you automatically entered and it will be absolutely free, meaning no extra cost whatsoever. If I manage to make back my venue expenses with pre-registrations, I will strip the pre-reg requirement and throw everyone's name in there. So, if you pre-reg, you're helping yourself out for sure and possibly helping any late comers as well!

You must be present to claim any prize.

Game Rules

-Stage selection will be random, except: For MvC, either player may request the Daily Bugle stage; for SF, either player may request the training stage.

-For SCV, Viola's backthrow infinite is banned. You are allowed 1 backthrow plus a non-throw follow-up, i.e. a guaranteed hit/combo. Anything after the follow-up is allowed (including another backthrow) as it is considered a legitimate trap/reset.

-No game-breaking glitches (glitches that prevent the game from being played) are allowed. E.g., the old snap-back glitch in MvC3. Use of such glitches will results in a forfeit of that round. If you are caught doing this more than once, you may be penalized up to and including disqualification from the tournament. Use common sense.

-Turbo/Programmable pads or sticks are allowed, but their programmable functions ARE NOT. First offense is a round loss, second is a DQ.

-Winner must select the exact character(s), team, assists, etc. that they played the match prior in that set. Loser may switch. For SF, the winner may switch ultras; and, for Marvel, the winner can change the order of their team as they wish.

-Button mapping/binding that is allowed in the game's option menu is legal for all games but Tekken. For Tekken, you may not bind more than one input to any single button unless your opponent OKs it. If they do, we will honor that agreement.

-Pausing during a game will result in a round loss.

-You are required to turn off your controller or stick after every set. If you fail to do this and your pad/stick interferes with a tournament match, you will be DQ’d and you must take your pad/stick to another location where it will not interfere with the event (hotel room, car, trash, etc.). Do not be an idiot, otherwise we will treat you like one.

-In the case of a draw, the match is ignored and players will replay the match.

-For anything not listed here, we will make a judgment call at the time of the incident. In most cases, we will leave it up to the players to come to an agreement. If they cannot, a judge will make the final decision.

Schedule

We run a one-day event and our line-up reflects that. We run brackets like the fuckin’ mob, so we expect you to be on time. Our goal is to get things done, pay the good people that placed high enough, and then get to the after party. In other words, we are not afraid to exercise our Dairy Queen powers and boot you from the tournaments if you dick around and don’t follow the rules.

The general schedule is as follows:

1030 A.M. - Doors open. Late registration and Check-in begins.
Noon (12 P.M.) - Registration for Mystery, SF, KoF and Tekken ends.
1 P.M. - Street Fighter 4, Tekken, KoF and Mystery Tournament begin.
4 P.M. - Registration for MvC, SCV, P4A, and VF ends.
5 P.M. - MvC, SCV, P4A, and VF begin.

-When registration ends, IT ENDS. No late entries of any kind. If you’re waiting until last day to take care of your registration, we highly recommend you show up as soon as possible to make sure you have plenty of time to get registered.

-Check-in will continue throughout the day. We’ve left an hour time between the end of registration and the tournament start times to ensure that everyone has time to get checked-in and get some casuals in. We don’t recommend waiting 5 minutes before your game’s start time because we’re seriously not going to wait for you. I can’t say this enough.

-You have 5 minutes to report for your match once it has been called. We will attempt to call your name several times before the 5 minute mark. The area we have to work with is big, but not a huge ball room, and we are all loud sonsabitches, so you should have no problem hearing us if you are in the room. We understand that if you are playing in another tournament you may be ignoring the bracket-runner, so at the 5 minute mark, your bracket runner will double-check to make sure you are not currently playing in another tournament. If you are not, you forfeit that set.

-We will run all tournaments to Top 8 or Top 4 (depending on the game) and then stop. Once all tournaments have dwindled to their top competitors, we will take an hour break to set up the stream and big-screen and maybe give away some free shit, then we’ll finish everything up.

Venue area, food, drinks, etc.

Our venue this year is changing slightly to a game shop. The shop is still going to be open, but we are taking the entirety of their play area for the event. Unless we get a ridiculous amount of participants, I don't expect too big of an issue on room. If people need air, the door is literally right there and you can walk out into the parking lot.

The shop itself is on a road, Czech Lane Northeast, that is right off of a main road and has a few strip malls and a hotel on it. It's a very low-traffic street, so once you get there, parking shouldn't be at all hard to find and you shouldn't have to worry about ducking and weaving through traffic. (The shop itself is in one of the first strip malls you'll see.) Although this isn't a hotel, there is a hotel literally right down the block, and a few more within just a couple of miles. I'll compile a list later and add them on this post.

For food/drinks/etc., there are a couple of restaurants right next door, including a Mexican place and a Donutland, there are some grocery stores and gas stations at the end of the block, as well as some fast food places, and you're only 2 turns and a couple of miles away from our main mall, which is surrounded by even more food places. But, if you're looking for something right next door, it shouldn't be an issue.

Event Room Rules And Staff

This is a gaming center, so noise shouldn’t be an issue, so be as loud as you’d like. In fact, we encourage being obnoxiously loud. Just don’t let it interfere with us calling out matches. Then, we’d have to crash some egos. When finals come around, though, go nuts.

Outside food or drink is fine, except for alcohol... at least inside the shop. Feel free to tailgate or run next door to the Mexican restaurant's bar, load up, and then come back in. I'm sad about this, but technically, the hotel we used to do these at didn't allow outside drinks or food... so I consider this an upgrade. :) Be warned: We have plenty of big, burly bodies staffed for this thing, so if you get rowdy, we will rough you up. This is Iowa. We know how to deal with drunks.

As always, staff will have to make decisions and judgment calls if we run into something not outlined here. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to...

Contact

If you have questions, feel free to use the Contact page on the VGF site, or send a PM to Xiang on the 8wayrun.com, shoryuken.com or tekkenzaibatsu.com forums.

Due to Jaxel's frontpage post about certain ruleset changes, I've added a section about infinites and changed the SC sets to 3/5.

I sure hope so. It'd be nice to break into triple digits, lol.

I'm tweaking the rules again: Since there's so much discussion about how to ban infinites, I'm taking a middle-of-the-road route and only banning the one that makes people angry. The change now reads as follows:

-For SCV, Viola's backthrow infinite is banned. You are allowed 1 backthrow plus a non-throw follow-up, i.e. a guaranteed hit/combo. Anything after the follow-up is allowed (including another backthrow) as it is considered a legitimate trap/reset.

God willing Namco will patch this garbage out before the tourny so it can stop giving me a headache.

I'm trying to get some Nebraska kids interested in this for SCV and maybe Tekken Tag 2 but what is up with the button mapping rule legal for all games but Tekken, I'm curious cause I wanna play some Tekken as well?

Ya know, a well-known player mentioned something about that over on TZ, and I was a little curious that people are now allowing it or think that it's OK. As long as I've been part of the Tekken scene, button mapping has always been banned... but apparently that changed recently? I'm going to keep researching on EVO rulesets and see if I can get a definitive answer on how the community is doing it now, but it's always been viewed as extremely cheap and scrubby and makes things like King's RDC really easy as opposed to technically difficult, which most people had always viewed as watering down the game.

TLDR: I'm going to look into it and can certainly remove that restriction, but I want to see how EVO is/plans on doing it before I change it.

Ill try to be there for this along with the rest of WI. Whats the entry fee? I only see venue. Can it be more than 10$.... Either way ill try and get there.

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to actually list the EF. It's $10 per game. With the extras we're handing out, I figure $10 is OK for now. The PayPal button has the correct amount.

I was actually wondering myself what the cost of entry fee per game was also. Thanks for the heads up there Scott.

In terms of button mapping for Tekken, I hear people talking about this on forums more as of lately. In my 6 years of competitive gaming (mainly traveling & playing Tekken as my main game), I have always known it to be NO Button Mapping for Tekken in tournaments. This has always been EVO/Tournament standard. I'm puzzled as to why I'm hearing things being brought up about this topic nowadays. Who's saying or implying that this is &/or should be allowed in Tekken tournaments now?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. Aside from Gamegenie above, WayGamble mentioned it on TZ, but their comments are the only comments I've heard on it in, literally, several years.

BTW, I'm not finding anything that suggests EVO has ever allowed button mapping for Tekken. I could just be retarded, but I'll keep looking. If someone sees it somewhere, let me know.

Right on. That just seemed really weird that Button Mapping talk for Tekken as far as tournaments are concerned were brought up on both here at 8wayrun & over on Tekken Zaibatsu as well. I was wondering if I've possibly missed something since I don't check the boards here anymore on a daily basis due to real life stuff preoccupying most of the time nowadays.

I was honestly thinking to myself "Damn! Am I really out of the loop in terms of stuff going on in the Fighting Game Community?"

I guess it's good to know that this isn't the case. Lol.

Who knows, maybe we're just both out of the loop. IMO, though, I really don't think it belongs it Tekken. The way in which Tekken allows you to buffer inputs makes certain things retardedly easy if you can map buttons. Ironically, I am someone who has the perspective that it should be more about the strategy of the match than about who can do the most difficult inputs, but I like a good balance between the two.

I thought you could map buttons to one button but macros where not allowed. So, if you had a weird stick layout you could still use it, but a move that requires 3 buttons to execute would still require the player to press 3 buttons. IDK, i think it varied from tournament to tournament.

I just map my buttons so I can do 1+2 and 2+3 without flipping my thumb sideways for 1+2 or using two fingers to do a 2+3 move cause I'm a pad player. I just want a straight answer cause TTT2 will be my first Tekken game seriously so that's why i'm asking.

I thought you could map buttons to one button but macros where not allowed. So, if you had a weird stick layout you could still use it, but a move that requires 3 buttons to execute would still require the player to press 3 buttons. IDK, i think it varied from tournament to tournament.

I definitely have no problem with reconfiguring inputs like that, it's the multiple inputs for one button that I'm unsure about.

@genie: I understand the concern. Every time I've ever run into it, either at my tournament or someone else's, it's usually someone who wants to use it for grabs. Regardless of whether I allow it or not, you might want to practice doing it without mappings anyway 'cause I just have this feeling not everyone is going to allow it.

@mateo: Are you pulling that from memory, or did you see an old ruleset somewhere? I was going to peruse the EVO thread on TZ but apparently it's gone?

I knew you could move your buttons around if you had a weird stick layout as Bill posted up. However, the macros part of the Button Mapping issue (having 1&2 mapped on the same button on your controller & any combination similar to that) is what I always have known to be not allowed in Tekken. That's why I learned how to type or claw the controller when I play Tekken.

If macros is allowed for Button Mapping now, that will be new news to me. I thought the rationalization behind no macros Button Mapping in Tekken was to keep tournaments as close to arcade perfect or arcade standard as possible, since you can't macros Button Map at the arcades.

Either way, I personally think macros Button Mapping is a weakness anyway. If you're a serious Tekken player that goes to Tekken tournaments or is wanting to go Tekken tournaments in the future, you should not macros Button Map if you're a controller (pad) warrior.

I'm a fan of the honor system where players communicate and as long as they agree to terms, anything goes. So, we'll do it this way: As a broad spectrum rule, mapping more than one input to a single button will be prohibited; HOWEVER, if your opponent is OK with it, then I'm OK with it. If you're going this route, be very clear with your opponent that this is what you want to do. You might even want to make sure you have a judge or some other witness watching to make sure there's no misunderstanding. Knowing a lot of the players that are going to show up, I expect gentlemanly courtesy to rule the day.

I'm tired now, so I'll update the posts later with this.

Back