[Oct 20, 2012] MOK 2 (SCV, TTT2, SF, MvC, VF, KOF) (Cedar Rapids, IA)

True story.

Also, don't forget, kids, that the VF goes up to $10 (oh no!) on September 1st. An extra $5 isn't that much, but don't say I didn't warn you that you could've gotten your venue fee half off.

Not a big paypal fan, eh? Well, at least it's not jumping to $70 like some events... :)

*Ahem*

So, we're less than a couple of months away, time for a few small updates.

1) Venue fee is now $10. It will not go up again, that includes day of. BUT, remember that if you pre-register you are qualified for the free monitor, so if you don't pre-register, you're just throwing away a chance to get $150 worth of merch. J sayin'.

2) Anyone who wants to bring a setup for the event, please let me know. I shouldn't need a whole lot, and I'll be able to hook you up with some goodies. I'm more concerned with the 2D games than 3D, so keep that in mind. First come, first serve. When I think I have enough, I'll let everyone know.

3) For Tekken, I am NOT banning solo mode... yet. I want to get my hands on the game before I make a final decision.

Lastly, I know I've already said this, but: Don't forget to pre-register at some point! Write it down if you need to. Remember that there's a special drawing for an ASUS monitor ONLY FOR THOSE THAT PRE-REGISTER. It helps me out in determining how I need to budget my time and resources, so it's my gift to you for helping me out. :)

One more thing: I've been getting some requests for P4U. I can't really add any more games to the list, but I've heard almost no interest in VF. So, as it stands, I'm very much inclined to swap the two, and if there's some interest in VF on the day of the event we can try to run a side tourny (no guarantees). That being said, if you want VF rather than P4U, voice your opinion now and I'll keep tally. I'm only going to give it a week or two, max, before I make that swap.

So you would rather have P4U than VF, am I reading that right?

Let me ask the question this way: Assuming we had both, which one would you enter?

Update: This is Tekken related, but still relevant to the event. I'm copying and pasting from TZ because I'm lazy.

Also, some pretty awesome news, MOK (and I'm sure other events, if they so choose) just got another sponsor for a potential bonus pot for Tag 2!

Intro: Dilly, a mod who's been on TZ for a few years, got a 2nd job at Dish Network. (Playing Tekken doesn't pay the bills here in Amrrrca.) In order to help his own cause, he's offering some pretty nice bonuses for anyone who signs up through him. All the details can be found at that thread here.

Here's the deal for us: He has offered to throw in a considerable portion of his commission for each sale to the TTT2 pot at MOK for anyone who signs up via MOK. That means that if you contact him to sign up and say that you're doing so for MOK, he'll contribute.
The only catch is that we have to break a minimum barrier of 5 people. Keep in mind, you have to be serious about following through. Installation and your first month's payment have to go through otherwise he doesn't get commission and, as a result, nothing gets contributed.

If we can't get there, we can't get there, but I see this as a win-win for anyone looking for this kind of deal. And, we actually only need to get 4 other people because I hate my cable company, pay way more than I should, and will be switching to Dish through Dilly here very soon.

I'm going to update the first post with this info and he'll let me know when someone signs up so I can keep an informal tally.

GET HYPE

OK, so I don't expect the turnout to be that big for VF or P4, so I'm just going to add them both to the 2nd half of games. Post and registration page has been updated.

HOTELS AND JUNK -

I forgot to do this a while ago, and since we're only a month away, I should get on it. First and foremost, google the venue (just type in "battlezone games" or "battlezone games cedar rapids" or something like that) and the go to Google maps. Clicks on "Search nearby" and type in "hotel." That'll bring up all your options. Here are my suggestions:

1) For convenience, the best possible place is the Hawthorne that is LITERALLY a 30-second walk from the game shop. You really couldn't ask for a better spot. It should be listed as "A" if you followed the google instructions above. The only problem is, without some sort of promo, it's about $120 a night, meaning that you better pack that bitch to save some money.

2) If you're looking for something cheap and have transportation covered, your best bet is the Quality Inn that is just a little bit down the block. (Still within walking distance, if you wanted to do that.) Should be listed as "B" on google. That should run about $90 a night, maybe even less depending on where you book.

3) There are a slue of other hotel options about a half mile from the venue on Collins Rd, one of our big highways. They're all clustered right fucking next to each other, too (just take a look at the map), and really easy to find/get to. If I remember correctly, the best deal of all of the hotels is part of this cluster, the Baymont Inn (should be "E" on the map). I think that's <$80 a night, so if you have a vehicle, that's probably the best deal.

I'm gonna give the Hawthorne a call, probably tomorrow, and see if I can work any special deals. If I can, I'll post up; if I can't, this info is the best you'll get. :)

Hey xiang, I'll bring my PS3 and copies of TTT2/VF/SCV for sure.

Excellent. We may not need it, but I'm all about more setups. More the better.

Just a heads-up to everyone, I will probably shut down the pre-registration next Tuesday or Wednesday, just to give me time to transfer everything to my bank account so I can withdraw it for payouts.

REMEMBER TO PRE-REGISTER. YOU WILL BE ENTERED TO WIN A MONITOR. NO PRE-REG, NO CHANCE FOR THE MONITOR!!! :D

NOTICE: I'M TAKING DOWN PRE-REG TOMORROW NIGHT. JUST A WARNING. :D

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

It looks like VF probably won't be going down. If that's the case you could just transfer my entry to mystery tournament.

See ya'll this weekend.

Back