Official Ban Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part is that by banning something without exploring it you will sometimes miss out on making the game a better experience. Like with roll canceling in CVS2, it allowed more characters to be played competitively which in my book is a good thing.

Algol is not broken and should not be banned. Here is why and a few counter arguments to some of the lame arguments ive had to stomach while sifting through this post.

He doesnt belong in this game - Either does starkiller who has a projectile and a friggin lightsaber. Starkiller will never be banned because he is not broken and neither should algol.

This isnt streetfighter yeah no crap and what kind of argument is this? Ban cervy who has an unblockable projectile, or starkiller who has one in the air like akuma. its just silly, The fact that you dont like projectiles in this game means nothing. They are in there like it or not. Take algols projectiles away and he is crap. Its how he fights. Deal with it, find a new game, or code your own.

He is a boss character. Nothing about a title is ban worthy. Bans should be based off of whether he is broken or not.

When he turtles he's broken. Sophies turtling is 'broken' in the same way you are trying to cry about. I know we are talking about two different styles of turtling but sophies turtling vs certain chars can seem broken. I think the players who make this claim are playing characters that dont match up great vs algol. I think allot of the crying in this thread is all due to certain players not liking how their character matches up with algol and dont want to have to fight another difficult character matchup in a tourney. They want their ivy to win all and dont want to get owned by an algol who can make them look like a noob. I garuntee that is what most of the crying in this thread is about. And its sad.

Reasons why he should not be banned.
Algol got patched and balanced out this last patch. Namco just looked at the guy and rebalanced him out. They think he is not broken and the majority of the people think so too. Wake up people, think about it.

Another reason is there is not 1 solid reason to ban him that has come from this thread.
Out of all the players who have tried to think of great reasons to ban him, none of the reasons have stood up because they were not valid reasons. Thats worth noting in itself.

Algol has been allowed in numerous torunies now, how many has he won?? if he's so broken, where are his tourney wins filled with broken strats to back it up? Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions to see through the BS.

Algol has been allowed in numerous torunies now, how many has he won?? if he's so broken, where are his tourney wins filled with broken strats to back it up? Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions to see through the BS.

i dunno...but i think the number is gonna rise quickly. no character ever wins them all at first...but he's damn good...almost broken, if not...

i didn't wanna chime in here...and i don't think he should be banned...but i definitely can see that opinion changing.

poppin those muthafukkin bubbles...

edit--- after watching this:

i officially change my vote to yes. yes algol should definitely be banned. sorry tiamat, but you were outplayed there in every sense on it, yet you still won. that's bullshit. that isn't to say that you probably wouldn't have won that tourny with nightmare...cause you probably would have...but that victory against cass can be chalked completely up to massive character imbalance, imo. it's not like cassy is low tier, either...

@lobo: I don't claim to be an expert at this game, or even just better than either player in that vid, but it seems to me like the Cassie player made more than a few mistakes against the bubbles. Also, she got hit with quite a few throws... although, Algol does have some pretty strong throws, if memory serves. The main issue with him seems to be that he's new and different, as opposed to nearly every other character. Even the "weird" ones, Yoshi and Voldo, have remained relatively familiar in style and and moveset.

yeah...and it's very possible that we'll all learn how to deal with his gimmicks...it's been a few months now, though, and he is only getting stronger imo...i dunno...he just seems so overpowered...

probably he'll stay legal and start sweeping tournies tho...

Perhaps... but I think that people were expecting a character more along the lines of Abyss, in that he'd be easily punished, or just too gimmicky. I'm personally expecting a bit more out of Ivy, once people get used to all the changes (And stop looking for infinites).

yeah...and it's very possible that we'll all learn how to deal with his gimmicks...it's been a few months now, though, and he is only getting stronger imo...i dunno...he just seems so overpowered...

probably he'll stay legal and start sweeping tournies tho...

Dude, I'm sorry but jsut becasue a person get outplay, and still win doesn't mean the character should be ban. Tiamat just play his game, and took in the fact that Algol own at a distance. Also, it wouldn't make much becasue there are qutie a fewcharacter that destroy his bubble rape. You didn't see Algol being cheap or overpowered, but just being use correctly is what you saw my friend.

And the overpowered one is funny. So if Algol so overpower just becasue of his throws is silly. His throws are good, and that make Algol not a shitty character. And if you haven't notice he isn't overpowered if they made 33b unsafe,3B unsafe on block, and nerf his combo dmg like crazy to make him fair. So where is the "overpowered" character at my friend?

Edit: Also just becasue he wins a few trounies doesn't mean ban. MKs, Snakes, GWs, and DDDs always win smash troueny casue most of the player there use them for an easy win. So, you're telling me that just becasue a character does well in the troueny sence, that he should be ban? Please explain that part sir?

CY

P.S.

I am an Algol main. So, I do know what it take to use Algol right lobo.

Oh yeah! On a side note, if someone is backing up away from you, 4B+K and watch the hate mail flow.

Best players in the world allow Algol.
I don't see why there's so much conflict about it in certain places.

Me either, to me he seems like a normal character with no advantage over any of the others.

Alright I'm gonna be objective as I can about this. Despite being a pretty close match, I do not believe I was outplayed. First of all, Algol and Cass are probably the 2 best characters in the game, and they probably also have a 5-5 matchup against each other. This is a lot of assumption but I don't think it's too unreasonable.

match analysis:

Algol:
- input errors trying to do backdash 4[A+B] and getting 44A. totally failed after the first landed 1B cause i did 22A+B (no idea what happened)
- did not shoot enough bubbles when I had the bubbles going
- kept eating 22B > 236B tech trap repeatedly (I assume those are the commands). however did not eat it EVERY time, see 2:04
- totally failed to punish a 236B on block, which was a free 3B combo
- obvious ignorance of Cass 66B blockframes, as well as whatever that jumping mid is
- kept getting GIed
+ I broke a decent number of throws, even though Cass has a stupidly stacked throw game with that retarded B command grab
+ I won

Cass:
+ he actually GIs some of the bubbles
+ lots of well applied GI especially throughout match 2, with good post GI also
- he does not break a single grab the entire time, I only did A grabs
- kept eating 1B > 11A trap repeatedly, every single time
- totally failed to punish 3AA, which i think is a free 236
- fails to punish 11A on block properly
- fails to block 11A on reflex every time, though did sometimes
- needs more sideroll after being knocked down
- he lost

So yeah I think all I've done it nitpick the match. You can think what you want about who outplayed who I suppose. I don't see how anyone can prove one way or the other.

i officially change my vote to yes. yes algol should definitely be banned. sorry tiamat, but you were outplayed there in every sense on it, yet you still won. that's bullshit. that isn't to say that you probably wouldn't have won that tourny with nightmare...cause you probably would have...but that victory against cass can be chalked completely up to massive character imbalance, imo. it's not like cassy is low tier, either...

So I just watched that video. There were 11 rounds of fighting, Algol won 6, Cassandra won 5. I didn't really see the part where the Cassandra player outplayed the Algol player in spite of the loss. They both seemed to be good players. I mean hell, the only difference the bubbles even made were the ground bounce bubbles.

That would have been a much more convincing argument if

A. Algol won more than 75% of the rounds played
B. Cassandra didn't *own* him 3 rounds to nothing in the second match.

lol look at 7:10 where they exchange hits and she gets like 10 dmg and he gets like 110.

he just seems too powerful to me. it just seems like...what breaks the bubbles isn't spamming them as an offensive wall...that's annoying at most. it's timing them so as to interrupt opponent combos...add mid damage to lows...i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

@Lobo: That's exactly what decent Algol players use the bubbles for. Despite the presence of 4A+B, they just can't be spammed like they could in a 2d fighter. Also, it's important to note that Cassie ate a LOT of throws, which are one of Algol's strong points IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back