Pad < Stick?

JELLY

[09] Warrior
Or the other way around?

I saw two other threads similar to this but they address just the controller and whether the analog stick should be used over the d-pad (or what ever it is for 360). This is about arcade sticks compared to the controller pad of a PS3. Sorry if there's a thread like this already or if it's in the wrong place.

I noticed a lot of the pros, or at least the hundreds of people that are a lot better than me, use aracde sticks instead of controllers. Can I ask what the benefits of doing this actually is? I've asked a few people, they say mainly for the 8-wayrun and perhaps slide inputs. I dont find these things a problem with the controller at the moment but can it actually improve your game or is it all about personal preference (or even the character that you use)?

Also, I've was looking at some arcade sticks... and they... are pretty. You can have them any shape, size, layout and the number of designs you can put on them is endless. I'm into art and design and all that and I think they look pretty damn sweet... I'm willing to get one simply because I like to look at them. =) But they can be pretty expensive so I thought I'd at least consider how they can change your game.

That Voldo stick Eclair showed me was Amazing, had spikes comming out of it and everything. What Would a Talim stick Look like? Itd have one of her... Whatever their called as the stick itself and would have cute lil robes along the side?
Or what about a stick thats coulored and shaped like Soulcalibur or Souledge? Id buy it just Coz.

As far as gameplay goes Il admit that their are certain inputs I will never nail (A+K:A:2a argh!) which players claim are easier on a stick but il never know since im both poor and retarted with a stick. There are alot of pro players who use pads (Tiamat and DTN that I know of) and Engared can use both well so I doubt there is any right or wrong thing to use but If i had to choose... id say stick because fighting games as far as i know originate from arcades wheras pads are designed for multiple games.

i think arcade stick is THE fighting games' controller. but on the other side it's all about habits and game stlyles.
there can be great players on both sides, so isn't a discounted choice, it's subjective.

As far as gameplay goes Il admit that their are certain inputs I will never nail (A+K:A:2a argh!)

Really? I actually find A+K:A:2A pretty easy on a pad if you map A+K to one of the shoulder buttons.

An arcade stick could make some moves much easier (Ivy, Sets, Cervy come to mind) and your execution more accurate, but for the most part I think it comes down to what you prefer/what you're used to using. For me, I learned SC on a pad and if I try the game on a stick I end up dancing around and dropping inputs like an idiot. But for other fighters (2d ones, especially), it's the other way around for me; if I try a pad then I fail like a pro.

Anyway, you can always learn both if you want, it just takes a little time is all.

I tried a stick a few times and I found the buttons so far away (and big) and executing moves from 8wayrun to be a pain but I kept trying, hoping to get used to it. It's probably better for 2Ds because there are no issues with side stepping (jumping maybe?).

Sticks are pretty but for the mean time I think I'll use the pad. Used it for every other game and it might one of those things I'll always use.

Pros use sticks because they're used to them. The execution barrier in SC is low enough that you would not see a significant difference between perfect play with a pad and perfect play with a stick, so what you're more comfortable with becomes a much bigger factor. If you want to play 2D fighters though, a stick does make a big difference.

There's a pretty big transitional period going from pad to stick. (Weeks or months.) Generally the benefits are somewhat overstated (the whole you can't play without a stick guff is not true regardless of the game.)

Personally, I think there are a few things that sticks help with:

- It introduces a consistent, standardized control. You don't have to learn a new pad per platform etc.
- Usually easier to hit multiple buttons at once. (My PS3 stick is driving me nuts though. Even simple stuff like hitting A+B hardly ever comes out right.)
- Button slides, piano inputs etc are easier on a stick.
- 46, 66 motions tend to be easier on a stick.

I spent so much time with the SNES etc on Street Fighter though that I still pull off 236 motions better on a pad.

Sticks are generally better since you can easily hit any button combination without depending on binds (i still use them though). As well you have much more control of the stick than you do a dpad since you're using your whole arm and motions can be more exaggerated. iCS on pad is possible but a bitch compared to a stick for example.

It takes time, allow 2 months to roll by with your stick before stating your thoughts. It took me that long to have the stick be as good as my pad, now my stick is VASTLY better than my pad.

Back