PS3 Wired controller troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer_X64

Siegfried SA Moderator
ok, so when playing Soul Calibur i like to use wired controllers for obvious reasons - lagless, no sync issues at tournaments, universal cross style dpad when matched with my wired xbox controller, ect. infact the controller has even become my preferred weapon when it comes to any kind of gaming whatsoever. i've been using these controllers for over a year now. probably much longer than that.

however, lately i've been having issues, where my WIRED controller, after about 10-30 minutes, will just randomly disconnect. now i havent seemingly had this problem on other PS3's(though i have not done extensive testing) and i know for a fact there is nothing wrong with the controller because i have PS3 sixaxis drivers on my computer that i use with these controllers to play games for hours, and i never get a disconnect at all whatsoever. I'm just wondering if you guys can maybe help me out on this one, because i cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong. i'm hoping that its nothing wrong with the southbridge part of the motherboard where the USB ports connect - i've yet to test other wired controllers such as my arcade stick, so once i do that i'll update my post here so that we know for sure if its a hardware issue or not. but in the mean time, does anybody else know anything about this or had any similar issues to this? i would appreciate if you know anything at all to please, let me know. the controller is a Biogenik camo combat controller. here is a newer version of the controller:

http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/accessories/biogenik-ps3-camo-combat-controller/311662

mine is identical except the face button symbols are all black instead of being painted in traditional ps3 colors. if its not a southbridge issue i will probably pick up the newer version of the controller, and if that works, im blaming the last firmware update for my troubles, and i guess i still have 2 awesome PC controllers to use.

on a side note, besides this issue, these controllers are a pretty wonderful substitute for the original PS3 controller - all of the buttons feel right, the dpad is almost as good, being a traditional cross style dpad(and its a good cross style dpad at that) and the analog sticks are actually better than the stock PS3 ones(alot stiffer, and more durable. bigger deadzone too it seems, for when your sticks eventually start wearing out) they have rubber grips on the sides which are nice, and the controller also by coincidence, is very ergonomic, and fits in your hand quite nicely. i've yet to break one of these, and i've probably broken 5 or 6 stock PS3 controllers just by playing soul calibur. it doesnt have sixaxis capability, but almost no games at least that i play, use sixaxis anyways.

EDIT#1:
Well the controller has been going strong for over an hour now while connected to another PS3, so its not the controller thats the problem. i'll try my arcade stick on my PS3 and see if the problem persists.

You know I've been looking for wired ps3 controls for a while now. How does the control feel when compared to the normal wireless ps3 pad? I might have to order this before going to EVO.

You know I've been looking for wired ps3 controls for a while now. How does the control feel when compared to the normal wireless ps3 pad? I might have to order this before going to EVO.

It feels amazing, but i will tell you that the dpad does come a little stiffer than what you may be used to. once you work it in a little, its the next best thing to a ps3 dpad - it is very very accurate, and i've yet to drop inputs on it. the buttons are pretty much identical to PS3, the back bumpers are a little stiffer, and the sticks are a little stiffer. and because of the way the dpad is, you can easily buy a third party wired xbox controller with a similar dpad, and make the switch in minutes. after that you'll find you can do everything equally on both consoles without fail, rather than having to make the obnoxious adaptation to one console or the other. something i will tell you though is that you will have to relearn how to twister on a cross-style dpad, as its done a little differently than on a ps3 dpad, but once you do you'll be just as consistent as ever. you also may have a little bit of trouble with DNS B at first because you have to do it more along the edge of the dpad(because on a ps3 dpad there is nothing there to obstruct your thumb - this has a center) but once you learn that, DNS B is also flawless(i can iDNS B all the time without fail...if only i could play omega just as well XD). overall this controller gets 9/10 on the dpad, 10/10 on buttons and triggers, and 11/10 on sticks(because the PS3 sticks just arent stiff enough for the wear and tear i can put them through) again i've had nothing but consistency with this thing, and i have yet to break a single one. they are the best wired controller i've ever tried, and unlike most third party controllers they dont feel like cheap pieces of crap either. absolutely brilliant. i say give em a try, they're only like $30. cheaper than replacing 5 or 6 official ones, if you ever DO manage to break one of these.

to give you an idea of how durable these things are, i can play soul calibur without breaking my face buttons from iagA, i've spilt like an entire can of pop on it, clean it out and it works just fine, i've smashed things on top of it, sat on it more times than i can count, i've run it over with tables, i've mashed the crap out of it in many many other games, i've put this thing through hell. i've worked this controller so hard i've literally worn the face button symbols right off of the controller, and this thing still works like the day i bought it. also the cord is extra thick at the base to prevent it from fraying. if you can actually find a way to break this controller without intentionally smashing it, i might send you $5.

i dare even say this is the best controller i've ever used. long after my PS3 is dead, i'll keep using this thing on my PC until the buttons disintegrate under my finger tips. they feel amazing, they work amazing, there is zero input delay, they take amazing punishment and they ARE amazing. try one out.

also if you want to know a good controller for xbox, i can help you there too, but in PM's.

anyways so i've been sitting here for 5 hours playing with one controller on my PC, and the other controller on my OTHER PS3, and neither controller has disconnected. so its definitely not a controller problem. im gonna test my arcade stick(like i said i was going to earlier) and if that has the same issue, its my PS3's motherboard unfortunately =/

well i think i might have solved my problem - my air conditioner and my PS3 are plugged into the same outlet, and i only seem to have these problems when the AC is on while i play - maybe its drawing too much electricity? in anycase i guess ill just move my PS3 to another outlet, and see how that works, because i've had no problems so far otherwise.

It's nice to know that wireless latency has caught up with wired so now it's just a matter of ergonomic design for peripheral preference.

Reactions: d3v
Unless there are other PS3s in the house, there's no reason to have to use wired. Official Sony controllers have already been tested to show no lag compared to wired controllers.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2402510/#Comment_2402510

360 is also the same.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2402519/#Comment_2402519

my reason to use wired is personal preference - i dont want to use wireless controllers. plus it also helps to have a universal dpad between consoles, and on top of that i have the added bonus of being able to avoid controller sync issues whenever i go to gatherings or tournaments. plus microsofts 360 controller is absolutely terrible, so i would never use it.

Not to mention I don't want to worry about having to plug in a charger(PS3) or change my batteries(360) after I've already started playing...

It's nice to know that wireless latency has caught up with wired so now it's just a matter of ergonomic design for peripheral preference.
I thought I may wanna add is that Toodles is already a credited person for testing latency output. He creates "Cthulhu" PCB which I think is for multi-consoles. Don't know how it stacks up against Akishop PS360 in which I know Hitbox uses.

With wireless latency technology caught up with wired I hope the same for LCDs, LEDs, perhaps even OLEDs monitors to the best gaming CRT monitor though those type of monitors are often rare and discontinued and as a bonus with good HD and colour saturation and all those nice visuals eventually brought to a consumer level.

I thought I may wanna add is that Toodles is already a credited person for testing latency output. He creates "Cthulhu" PCB which I think is for multi-consoles. Don't know how it stacks up against Akishop PS360 in which I know Hitbox uses.

With wireless latency technology caught up with wired I hope the same for LCDs, LEDs, perhaps even OLEDs monitors to the best gaming CRT monitor though those type of monitors are often rare and discontinued and as a bonus with good HD and colour saturation and all those nice visuals eventually brought to a consumer level.

its not that i dont trust him, its just a personal preference.

and hey!!! we have a CRT here in my place that runs at 1080p. it was like one of the last comercially available CRT's on the market though, and quite pricy to boot =/

but regardless, as it stands i would gladly go back to buying CRT monitors because of the performance, the slightly better blacks and whites, and because older gaming consoles look nicer on them(like my NES) i never really cared for small size or weight and i never found it to be an attractive feature. all i care about is performance(though i do have a really nice LCD right now that i bought, which is pretty much lagless. its small enough that i dont notice when switching over from my CRT.)

When it comes to TVs size matters to me because when I promoted my local scene I brought my monitor to every meet up for people to try SC. Hauling a large CRT around(I had a 36" at the time) would have been a pain in the ass.

When it comes to TVs size matters to me because when I promoted my local scene I brought my monitor to every meet up for people to try SC. Hauling a large CRT around(I had a 36' at the time) would have been a pain in the ass.

lol not all CRT's have to be 36"

my LCD now isnt even 36", its 26"

i'd be fine with a smaller CRT. it would work perfectly for what i'd use it for, and considering the size of the space i have to put it in

That large one was the only one I had at the time. The only other small CRT was my sister's and she would never let me use it. I was thinking of trading her but I didn't want to move a 400lbs TV...

That large one was the only one I had at the time. The only other small CRT was my sister's and she would never let me use it. I was thinking of trading her but I didn't want to move a 400lbs TV...

i had to lift a 400lb TV just yesterday, because we were redoing the basement, and oh god it was terrible!!!

but anyways this thread is a bit off topic now, and i've fixed my own problem, so i think its ready to be closed. we'll continue this discussion in PM's solo.

Will anybody close this thread for me? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back