Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

What's you guy thoughts on 236 2/8.

Never seen anyone using the little sidestep after the 236 and I sometimes forget it even exists, any of you guys use it?

I thought they were pretty worthless in the previous SC games (sure there were some very situational uses) and don't see much to change my opinion of them for Pyrrha's either. The moves you get aren't unique, so you're slowing them down with the initial dash. A standard step / quick step is way faster from neutral. If you are 236 dashing forwards, and think your opponent is going to throw out a vertical, you're probably best just 236B'ing anyways and going for a counter hit (guess it depends just how fast you can switch into the 236 2_8 side step, but I doubt you'll be reliably dodging any fast verticals with this, and the slow ones 236B will beat out anyways).

Plus 236 5 2_8 is a somewhat annoying input to do.

Edit: Did some testing with this, and the side step is really, really slow to come out (much more so than a regular step). Its almost like she completes the entire 236 forward step first and then moves to the side.

The moves for reference (not being in the wiki), are: 236 5 2_8 A = 236AA (can even BE it if you want) 236 5 2_8 B = 66B+K and 236 5 2_8 K = 8K.

At least the 8K version is a safe on block out, assuming you ever get that far. The 236A equivalent is likely the most usefull move out of this stance (and you can do it anyways from a regular 236, so... what's the point?), but, still, you get so much more damage with a regular quick step into 22_88K or 22_88BAK and with much faster frames + easier input.

SS in 236 is pretty slow. You expect the 236 to be done by Pyrrha first before sidestepping. You are at huge disadvantage when you use this one.

The only use of 236 8 was when Cassandra had a move exclusive of it , but now... but if it was a litle faster, ease, and could avoid simple B and A who knows

What would someone new to Pyrrha want to focus on to start off? Like what moves/combos would be best to learn first, or any specific skills do you need to be succesful with her(Like should I focus on Okizeme, Spacing, Punishing, what is her style?)

Also some more specific questions:

What is her best stepkiller?
What are her best punishers?
What are her best moves to use on a grounded opponent?

What would someone new to Pyrrha want to focus on to start off? Like what moves/combos would be best to learn first, or any specific skills do you need to be succesful with her(Like should I focus on Okizeme, Spacing, Punishing, what is her style?)

Also some more specific questions:

What is her best stepkiller?
What are her best punishers?
What are her best moves to use on a grounded opponent?

Largely, focus on punishing I'd say, its the strongest part of her game. Learn what you can 236B:4.

Best stepkillers: 66A, AA/4K if you need something faster, 44A can work wonders do (really depends who you are playing against, but 44A run counter hit is nice stuff). 4A can be good too, 4AB 3B is a combo on a counter hit, though its a slow high and unsafe if you don't counter hit confirm it. And if you are feeling lucky, 236A series.
Best block punishers: 236B:4, CE (faster than 236B and more range)
Best whiff punishers: 236B:4, CE, 4B or 66B BE if they whiff something with truly horrendous recovery time, 22_88B or 22_88K if you step something
Best moves on a grounded opponent: 4K, 1K, 66B / 66B BE, 3B, 44B (note most of those are mids, so, train them to stand up into throws)

Hey was loking to a good use for timid hit 6A any tips??

a good use would be to not use it :x
it too slow and to weak (less then 20 damage gets halved damage on low hp)
and doesn't do anything like TC/TS/TJ.

better step killers, 66A, 3A, 1k, or "236A situational", all of these are faster and more damaging then 6A

Just because a move is faster doesn't mean you should always use it.

Yeah, but when something like 66A is faster than 6A, does more damage, has more range, tech crouches, gives massive advantage on hit + sideturning... There's very little reason to ever use 6A instead (unless maybe your opponent is fuzzy just guarding your fast moves, but... there's better answers to that than 6A). The only reason I'd consider using 6A instead of 66A is against a character with an i10 move that can punish 66A, but, even then, you're not risking giving away much damage.

Yeah, but when something like 66A is faster than 6A, does more damage, has more range, tech crouches, gives massive advantage on hit + sideturning... There's very little reason to ever use 6A instead (unless maybe your opponent is fuzzy just guarding your fast moves, but... there's better answers to that than 6A). The only reason I'd consider using 6A instead of 66A is against a character with an i10 move that can punish 66A, but, even then, you're not risking giving away much damage.

Even then you'd have to be spacing the 66A pretty poorly for them to be punishing it. The exception, of course, being Alpha's CE, which can punish a blocked 66A at any range, but ultimately 6A can be punished by that too.

So yeah, long story short, 6A in itself isn't a horrible move, but 66A is better in almost every way.

Hello guys, first time posting on this sub-forum and I'd like to ask you some general tips on how to play this girl.

I'm mainly having problems when it comes to getting close to fast/defensive players, who always seem to punish me with their faster and longer range moves. I've found out that a simple 236b works as a normal attack, not just a punish, when playing laggy online matches, but as soon as playing offline or against 5bar opponents I totally lose this advantage and have no idea what attacks to use when it comes to longer ranges.

Maybe I'm just too aggressive to begin with, maybe I shouldn't be closing up the distance and play a bit more defensively instead? If I do that then I don't know what attacks to use once the opponent runs towards me. It feels like attacks like 4b are too slow, and stuff like 4a has too short range. If I try to side step for a 88/22bak or something, it usually get's interrupted by [insert any horizontal attack here].

I guess it's just me using the wrong style when playing Pyrrha, but I'm still counting myself as a beginner to this game which means that I'm not yet skilled enough to use all the tools.

P.S. I'm still getting used to the terminology of the game so there might be mistakes in my post.

I'm mainly having problems when it comes to getting close to fast/defensive players, who always seem to punish me with their faster and longer range moves.
Make them come to you.
I've found out that a simple 236b works as a normal attack, not just a punish, when playing laggy online matches, but as soon as playing offline or against 5bar opponents I totally lose this advantage and have no idea what attacks to use when it comes to longer ranges.
Yeah, don't use 236B outside of punishing or you'll eat launchers all day (it's -18 on block). Use 66A, 6B+K, 22_88K, and 3B (unsafe, but certain characters can't punish -16 with pushback very well) to keep the opponent out and stop them from throwing to try to open you up.

It feels like attacks like 4b are too slow, and stuff like 4a has too short range. If I try to side step for a 88/22bak or something, it usually get's interrupted by [insert any horizontal attack here].
6B+K is amazing. 22K is also amazing. Try to predict what the opponent is going to do based on the character they're using and their tendencies with that character. If they do unsafe stuff, stab them. If they keep running in and attacking, AA/BB/66A/6B+K/3B/236AA them. If they do a lot of verticals or highs, whore out 22K to the fullest of its broken extent.

Practice getting the attack throw on 236B4/236B:4. JF version gives better damage, non-JF gives better oki, but both are preferable to no attack throw at all.

Use your meter when you get the opportunity. If you land a 3B, combo into CE. If you land 66B/22A/CH 1K, do 66B BE. This isn't always true but Pyrrha is most effective when she has a life lead. Meter greatly boosts her damage output off safe stuff.

4B is duckable on reaction, so don't use it too much outside of guard burst combos or as an option after GI to counter panic re-GIs.

Other pitfalls to avoid:
Never use 1AA. Not in a million years. Use 1K and grabs to open up opponents who hold guard all day.
Don't do 66B BE on block against good players; it's an easy JG for a launch punish. Use it after a GI, in combos, or as a whiff punish.

First of all Lamme, be incredibly carefull with "I've found out that a simple 236b works as a normal attack, not just a punish, when playing laggy online matches but as soon as playing offline or against 5bar opponents I totally lose this advantage and have no idea what attacks to use when it comes to longer ranges", you're relying on lag to not get yourself punished in return for a blocked 236B stab. That's not to say that it can't work, it is a fast mid, just realize that if it gets blocked online and you block their punish in return that you would have been hit offline.

Also: "If I try to side step for a 88/22bak or something, it usually get's interrupted by [insert any horizontal attack here].", then you shouldn't be using 88_BAK in that situation or against that opponent. That is a really risky move to use if you aren't sure that you are going to side step something (great for stepping and punishing strings, risky at neutral) as you risk being hit out of it, or even worse, your opponent blocking it and leaving you at an incredibly large number of negative frames (especially if you do the entire string and don't just stop at 22B). If you want a random side step move, try 22K instead, if they are using high horizontals you'll have much better luck TC'ing under them with this.

If you want attacks with decent range, try 6B+K, 3A, 3B. As Pyrrha, you're going to lose out on the long range game though.

For an opponent running towards you, that depends somewhat on the playstyle of your opponent. If they like running in with a high/throws, try a TC move (66A, 3A+B). If they like doing some vertical move, then a step is in order. As you say, 4B is too slow and doesn't have the evasive properties to avoid a charging opponent's attack. 4A is also somewhat slow for this purpose, has no evasive properties and is a high leaving you vulnerable to moves like Pyrrha's 66A or 66A+B that will just go under it. You either want to do something that is faster than their move to interrupt it, or something that will evade their move. Alternatively, you can try backdashing and running away yourself, if you're opponent is impatient or has poor spacing, you can then punish their whiff with 236B, 3B, or 4B / 66B BE for really bad whiffs.
Also, most running attacks in the game are mids/highs, so standing there and blocking is an option. The running slide kicks are reactable (disregarding latency) and 236B:4 punishable so don't duck in anticipation of those.

Any particular characters that give you trouble?

Practice getting the attack throw on 236B4/236B:4. JF version gives better damage, non-JF gives better oki, but both are preferable to no attack throw at all.

I'm pretty good at this when comparing to other stuff. Not like I would manage to pull it off every time, not online at least, but I know what I'm supposed to do and I will only get better by playing more.

Don't do 66B BE on block against good players; it's an easy JG for a launch punish. Use it after a GI, in combos, or as a whiff punish.

Hmm, I usually just use 66B BE as a normal attack, I'm not sure how I could use it as a part of a combo?
I can't use GI yet, and I'm not sure if it's even worth practicing a lot since it's even harder pulling it off online.

First of all Lamme, be incredibly carefull with "I've found out that a simple 236b works as a normal attack, not just a punish, when playing laggy online matches but as soon as playing offline or against 5bar opponents I totally lose this advantage and have no idea what attacks to use when it comes to longer ranges", you're relying on lag to not get yourself punished in return for a blocked 236B stab. That's not to say that it can't work, it is a fast mid, just realize that if it gets blocked online and you block their punish in return that you would have been hit offline.

I know what I'm doing is wrong, but you also got to notice that there is ONLY online for me, which means that I have to play by those standards and get used to the lag.

If you want a random side step move, try 22K instead, if they are using high horizontals you'll have much better luck TC'ing under them with this.

Yes, this is another move that I use often, but it feels a bit slow and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do if it gets blocked. If it does hit, then I'm able to continue with 4k and/or 1k which is great.

Also, most running attacks in the game are mids/highs, so standing there and blocking is an option. The running slide kicks are reactable (disregarding latency) and 236B:4 punishable so don't duck in anticipation of those.

I really got to work on my spacing game and blocking in general, I'm blocking lows way too often nowadays...I'm not sure but it might be the fact that I've been playing Street Fighter and got used to the fact that low blocks pretty much everything there xD

Any particular characters that give you trouble?

Well I can't say for sure as I still haven't played that much against different characters since 50% of online players are Natsus while the rest mainly consist of characters like Mitsurugi and Nightmare I guess. It's just players that like to be very aggressive, running towards me all the time and using their fast/long range attacks and/or throws before I get the chance to respond.

Big thanks to both of you guys, you're suggestions will surely improve my play as soon as I get to try them out properly. Sorry for the big ass quote post! :<

Hmm, I usually just use 66B BE as a normal attack, I'm not sure how I could use it as a part of a combo?
I can't use GI yet, and I'm not sure if it's even worth practicing a lot since it's even harder pulling it off online.

I usually use 66B BE after Guard Breaking my opponent. After breaking them try the combo 4B, 66B BE, 22_88BAK. It works especially well if you break them near the ring's edge :P
As for GI, the simplest method is to use it to counter strings with multiple hits, like Cervantes' BBB. You can also use it to block Viola's 6B+K mixups and maybe force her to waste meter trying to GI back.
I know what I'm doing is wrong, but you also got to notice that there is ONLY online for me, which means that I have to play by those standards and get used to the lag.

I can confirm from first had experience that even with a laggy 1-2 bar connection, a blocked or whiffed 236B can easily cost you the match.
Yes, this is another move that I use often, but it feels a bit slow and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do if it gets blocked. If it does hit, then I'm able to continue with 4k and/or 1k which is great.

Even though 22K comes out a bit slow, it's safe on block and leads to 236B on hit, so in my opinion, it's a much better move to randomly throw out than 22BAK. If you want a slightly faster side step move, try 33_99K. It can also combo into 236B. (I usually put it in as 223K or 889K)

Well I can't say for sure as I still haven't played that much against different characters since 50% of online players are Natsus while the rest mainly consist of characters like Mitsurugi and Nightmare I guess. It's just players that like to be very aggressive, running towards me all the time and using their fast/long range attacks and/or throws before I get the chance to respond.

Yeah, SCV rewards offensive players pretty well compared to it's predecessors .
If you're looking for some spice in your online experience, take a look into the subforums here:
http://8wayrun.com/forums/online-mode-psn-xbl.44/

If you're on PSN add me for some matches that aren't Mitsu and Nightmare haha

Back