Raphael 101

Seven11

[08] Mercenary
Hi, all. I just want to fish for some advice and maybe help a few of the new Raphael players out there get an idea for a way to play him, so here's my Raph game on paper. As always, pointers and criticisms are always welcome.

I use Raph at his maximum range as often as possible. 1A has ridiculous range, and catches step to Raph's right, and is safe at high range, making it a great poke to throw out in those situations where you are both wandering in 8wr circles waiting for someone to make a move. Also, since the move advances a bit, it will usually leave you barely in range for a WSA to connect, to openly remind your opponent that you don't want them stepping you. After you've got them trained to stand still while you're in FC, WSB is your best friend. Heavy guard damage, long range, safe at range, good pushback, and 11B or 66A+B comboable on CH for almost 60 damage, not to mention rings out to the front. While you are in FC, don't forget about FC3B. It's unsafe and fairly low damage, but it's still a low, and gives you that much more power over someone who is trying to be over attentive, or not attentive enough. And speaking of the opponent's attention, remember the B that can follow to keep them on their toes. Learn to love these setups. Raph's bread and butter.

22_88~VE~B:B is Raph's best whiff punisher by far. Has surprising range, and will natural combo for over 60 damage with the jf version, so work on that just frame, people, it makes a world of difference. Beware, though, if you miss the jf and the last B is guarded, it is 236B punishable by the sisters. VE also has many uses of its own, of course, and after a 22_88, you can have a lot of fun with them. If you happen to hit with 22_88 within decent range, VE's A is a great tool to put your opponent in a really tight spot. It will leave Raphael at really good advantage even on block, where 2A will beat just about any option in the game, and a throw / mid mixup is a total guessing game. Also to be noted is that on CH, VE A will give you an inescapable back throw if the opponent doesn't immediately duck. VE's K will catch steppers at a distance and, in some situations, beat slower options coming from the opponent, but use this sparingly, if at all. It is horribly unsafe and remains in range of most punishment options even at its maximum range.

4B or 4~Prep has a million options, and I try to use as many of them as possible. Of course, your first choice should be to use 4~Prep~A when in close, since that's his safest option and yields decent combos if it finds a CH. When people start to fear that, the other ideas I like are Prep A+B for guard damage, 2 for SEA options (which I use rarely at best), or B~Prep to keep the pressure on. 4B has good range, also, but when used at range I seriously recommend not going into prep, simply because the whiff punishment options are too severe if it is stepped. If you do get a hit, even at max range, 3 will connect, and yields combo damage of 60+ anyways, so going for Prep A will only whiff and get you punished.

When in close, my first and only priority is to get out. This is where Raph is at his worst, and you should know that if you stay in this situation trying you mix your opponent up, you will more than likely lose to simpler, more damaging options that most other characters undoubtedly have. When in this situation, 2A is the immediate choice, but know it has extremely short range, but that can be a good thing for you. If 2A is guarded at its tip, it will push them out a bit, and a 44B will escape most AA's and BB's and still be close enough to grant you a cranial scraper for decent damage, and plenty of down time to just walk away and get back out of range to run your game. I also like to do a lot of AB in that situation. Covers step decently, the low is safe (yes, Raph has a safe low), and most importantly, it pushes out a bit, to find that magic 44B range.
On the subject of in-close fighting, I've heard a lot of discussion over Raph's 4A+B GI. I personally don't use it, but it may work for you. That being said, I prefer 4B to duck those A's, because it will give a nice combo on hit, and on block it will push them WAY out. While 4A+B seems to be a good idea since it will catch mid A's also, I don't see a lot of mid A's come out in that situation. Of course, look for habits and act accordingly. One thing I like to add to my in-close game is 7K. I prefer 7K over 44K simply because it retreats, it's very safe, and on hit gives advantage and leaves them FC. I use this especially after a successful 2A or other poke that hits, because this will get over a 2A or of course all other lows before it can reach active impact frames.

In closing, I would just like to add that like any other character, Raphael can be very strong by simply knowing your basics and applying them properly. Raph has better than average throw range, solid stepping speed, and an amazing ability to surprise people with the most basic of approaches. Raph's Ring Out game is fairly lacking, but it is there and you NEED to know it to really open him up to high level play. Obviously his G+B rings out straight forward really well, but his G+A throw drops them out immediately to his right. Very specifically, his left side throw will ring out back and to his right. I've also had instances where his back throw rings out, but that is strangely specific and rare. 66A+B is very hard to ring out with, but if guard buffered with your back against the ring edge, it can happen.
It is also worth mentioning that all of Raphael's just frames can be mashed out. You have to have damn good tapping speeds, but for some it may be more consistent to train to mash as fast as possible that to learn the actual timings of the jf's. As long as your B's find the proper frame, they will come out. The Prep BBB:B and Prep K:K are very consistent using this method, but for the 22__88,B:B jf you really have to change gears from hold to mash very quickly, and that is Raphael's toughest jf to hit. Consequently, it is his most important, so either way you prefer to do it, learn it and learn it well.

I hope this helps anyone new to Raphael or looking to up their game, and I await input from other, more seasoned Raphael players to help me expand my own Raph game. Thanks for reading!

I found this guide to be helpful. I would add that Raph is all about dodging and mindgames. B+K to insta-sidestep, 44B to back off when you're at disadvantage and come back in for the counterhit, and 4B to TC highs. For those mid horizontals you can use 4A+B GI.

I've also been using 44B to catch 2A's recently, and it's really working out for me now. For those who didn't already know, 44B GI's low horizontals in a strange way that pulls towards you, guaranteeing the cranial scraper.
Also, do you have any pics of that Caska CAS? I LOVE Berserk and would be interested in seeing it. :-)

I found this guide to be helpful. I would add that Raph is all about dodging and mindgames. B+K to insta-sidestep, 44B to back off when you're at disadvantage and come back in for the counterhit, and 4B to TC highs. For those mid horizontals you can use 4A+B GI.

Wish it worked that way.

B+K doesn't instant side step... manually side stepping and even 4A step better.
4B TC really early, and gives the same stun on normal and CH.
4A+B can be Re-GI'd...which is pretty much retarded meaning that move is useless.
Since the attack will always comeout if raph GI's, there's really no reason the opponant won't GI back ...except if they don't know (which they'll catch on sooner than later)
Don't forget 6K can jump over 2A as well.

He does have a lot of defensive counter-attacks in neutral, and his prep's slippery-ness shouldn't be unmentioned

prep-2 (or simply do nothing)to dodge highs, counter attack with your choice of SEA or SEB moves
prep-A to stuff mostcounter attacks (only a few moves in the game can reliably beat it)
prep-K to dodge pesky 2A and lows
prep-B+K to dodge slow mids (or to gain access to a pretty decent mid/grab mixup)
prep A+B to beat high, short range quick counter attacks (highly underrated imo)..and does good soul damage.
prep-2, B or prep BB to continue pressure.

good stuff, although i have two issues:
6K is unsafe to most fast A's; i use 7K or even 44K. covers 8wr really well, too, for some reason...
prep~A+B is only safe at range, and it's dangerous to be throwing that move out when you are far away. use only if you know it will either be taken or guarded at a distance.

Yeah. I think 6K is fine unless in the above-mentioned situation.

And I only use Prep A+B after I've trained them to wait for the Prep A or Prep BB and I want to work on their soul guage. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I've ever actually landed a hit with Prep A+B. lol Meh, SEA is better anyways.

The ONLY time I've used and landed Prep A+B was after a 3 hit with the bar flashing two moves past red.

Haha, yeah. Gotta love all the CH's you can land when the opponent is flashing red. :)

6K is punishable by sophie A's, last i checked it. that's why i stopped using it for my main tech jump.

6K is punishable by sophie A's, last i checked it. that's why i stopped using it for my main tech jump.
Yeah you're right. :( It's only not punishable by that if used from further away. About two character spaces.

Yeah you're right. :( It's only not punishable by that if used from further away. About two character spaces.

yeah, i've replaced that with 7_8_9K (more often i use the 7). jumps early, safe, forces crouch, and adv on any hit. just an overall better move, imo

speed is significantly different thoguh .. 6k can almost interrupt a low/slow mid mixup.

I shoudl try 7K more.. but jumping moves make me feel just plain silly. I guess it's time to change the mind set..as before i was averse to doing A+B, A ..because the low was so telegraphed (but its got decent tracking/knockback)

Hello

as far as I know 7_8_9 K is i24 and 6K i16...

Which make a significant difference.

I do not remember if 8K is a middle?

FYI => 44K=i20

For what it's worth, 7_8_9 K TJ slightly faster than 44K. Also, for what it's worth, 44B also auto-GIs s-mids, and 8A+B (Wut? Raph haz an 8A+B?) auto-GIs high, mid, s-mid, and s-low horizontals and kicks a few frames before it hits (Which is at i18).

Just because one character can punish something doesn't make it bad. If that was the case then Prep game is useless just because Taki's A can interrupt. Just have to know your match ups. If you let one bad situation determine usage of an entire move then your options will be extremely limited in this game.

IMO no tech dodge/crouch/jump should be left out of your game.
for example:
kilik does 66AA,instead of jumping you do 6k and pour it on

Back