Rate Cervy's moveset for offense/defense

franman

[13] Hero
Here's how this thread works

1-name one of Cervy's move sets and rate them (out of 4) for offense or defense.

2-Describe why you believe it deserves this kind of rating.

3-Describe when's the best situation you recommend doing that move.

4-After the person's post you can either follow the first 3 points or discuss about the same move. Either you want to add something to it, whether you disagree with it etc. something worth discussing.

Here's how the format works:

if you want to rate a move based on offense then this is the format.

Code:
[B]Move Set:[/B] bK
[B]Offense Rate:[/B] 3/4
[B]Description:[/B]
-Best used when in the offense.
-Neutralizes the situation but makes opponents think twice.
-Hops over lows.
[B]Situation:[/B]
-When the opponent's unsafe move cannot be punished.
-Use bK to add pressure.

otherwise, replace Offense Rate with Defense Rate

The goal of this thread is to give the player an idea of the move set and let him/her understand the best situation to use that move. It is not to dictate, but to let the player think about it.

Move Set: aB
Defense Rate: 3/4
Description:
-Fast decent ranged punish
-One of your fastest moves at i13
-Good damage for a punish
Situation:
-When the opponent throws out an unsafe move that can't be punished with iGDR

Move Set: aB
Defense Rate: 3/4
Description:
-Fast decent ranged punish
-One of your fastest moves at i13
-Good damage for a punish
Situation:
-When the opponent throws out an unsafe move that can't be punished with iGDR
Just wanna add to aB's defensive side.

It's somewhat okay if you predict that the opponent is about to lunge at you; however, it's not that reliable cuz on block you get punished for it. Even if you do hit the opponent with aB you're @ -8 so the opponent may mix something up, so I would use aB with caution.

Also it's good to aB with the opponent is in its range and they try to do 44B to counter; aB will hit at least the B part will.

Is it even worth it to take the -8 and place yourself in a mixup for the 30-something damage that aB does? Wouldn't it be better to try to punish with something that gives advantage or use a mixup?

afaik its -5 and yes its worth imo, -5 is not a big deal...you can go for 44B on max Range, you can use it to set up a GI or AutiGI etc...

Since there is so much stuff you can punish with aB, but not with iGDR you really should punish with aB whenever you get the chance, a lot of Moves in this Game are in the -13~-15 area...

People still think iGDR can punish -15 Moves, but its partly impossible, extremely hard or just way to risky...so if we dont play Theory Fighter in which iGDR is the BEST PUNISHER IN THE GAME, aB is all you got besides whiffpunishing...

Most of the cases you gonna punish with aB, Lows with WS A and maybe some with iGDR.

Also aB is pretty good as an interrupter, used from max range with good spacing...

bye,doc.

Is it even worth it to take the -8 and place yourself in a mixup for the 30-something damage that aB does? Wouldn't it be better to try to punish with something that gives advantage or use a mixup?

aB is -6 on hit? Plus not everyone treats it as such. If your opponent is treating you badly after eating aB and being successful with mixups, then adjust to that opponent and use it less. But this move has a lot of other advantages, eliminating it from your game would be unwise.

Move Set: FC A+BBBBBB
Offensive Rate: 3.5/4
Description:
-has a weird appearance makeing it hard to GI on reaction
-not to slow and gives +13 on block
-Great dmg on hit and sets up for tech mixup
-good way to keep presure on
Situation:
-opponent isnt to aggresive and you dont want to take a chance with a unsafe mid/low mixup
-keeping opponent in check blocking and makeing them step more so you can get em with 3A+B

Move set: 44B
Defensive rate: depends on chars, but 4/4 if used smartly
Description:
-cervy step backwards, then hit
-good damage
-godly especially against short ranged chars
-a little unsafe, -13 on block, but this isn't a problem if you use this tool correctly
Situations:
-when you expect a short ranged move, but depends on distance, so you can avoid a longer attack and hit w/ weps tip
-works well for techtraps

-----

Move set: 66K
Offensive rate: 3/4
Description:
-i17 mid
-safe: -8~-9 on block
-on nh leaves you at +1
-on ch guarantees a free 11B, for nice damage
-nice to create game w/, for no risks
Situations:
-good to keep pressure on
-when you expect to catch a ch, but youre not totaly sure of the situation

44B also does decent SG damage. Not that Cervy's SG game is anything worth talking about, but its good to know what you can use.

Move set: iGDR
Defensive rate: 4/4 your best punisher
Description:
-does good damage
-has some distance
-sets up a lot of damaging combos
-very unsafe on block will usually always lead to a back throw or major damage
-its i15 making it one of cervantez fastest moves
Situations:
-Great for catching whiffs
-punishing unsafe moves

Move set: 44B
Defensive rate: depends on chars, but 4/4 if used smartly
Description:
-cervy step backwards, then hit
-good damage
-godly especially against short ranged chars
-a little unsafe, -13 on block, but this isn't a problem if you use this tool correctly
Situations:
-when you expect a short ranged move, but depends on distance, so you can avoid a longer attack and hit w/ weps tip
-works well for techtraps

-----

Move set: 66K
Offensive rate: 3/4
Description:
-i17 mid
-safe: -8~-9 on block
-on nh leaves you at +1
-on ch guarantees a free 11B, for nice damage
-nice to create game w/, for no risks
Situations:
-good to keep pressure on
-when you expect to catch a ch, but youre not totaly sure of the situation

its actually very steppable so there's quite a risk. Also id like to say cervy has the worst regular 2A's(quick special mid thats good on hit) because its steppable and has bad recovery when stepped(of course) and is one frame slower than all the other 2A's AND is still the same speed when your already in crouch. He would have so many more nasty mixes if this was a normal 2A.

i meant no risks for being punished, for sure it can be stepped

i forgot to mention it, whatever

Move set: iGDR
Defensive rate: 4/4 your best punisher
Description:
-does good damage
-has some distance
-sets up a lot of damaging combos
-very unsafe on block will usually always lead to a back throw or major damage
-its i15 making it one of cervantez fastest moves
Situations:
-Great for catching whiffs
-punishing unsafe moves
I'll probably have to disagree that iGDR is just perfect for defense.

It maybe risky but sometimes out of the blue you can surprise them.

As for the damage the biggest you can get off iGDR is 80, but that's only if you hit them from max range. On average or most of the time you're getting 57 @ most. 57 to me is not much.

I would say itz half offensive and half defensive.

I don't think it deserves a perfect score.. I think it is a very good move and has a deserved spot in every reputable Cervy's game, but its is definitely not without its flaws.. Yes its i15, but that is at close range. As a wiff punisher you probably won't see it as i15 since there will be distance between you. Also it is *very* unsafe to the point that it guarantees them huge damage unless they start having a seizure, and even still they are liable to roll on the controller and still hit a button to attack you.

Is it a really good move that should be used to punish bad wiffs? Absolutely. Is it a perfect defense/offense move? Hell no.

That and I just like to disagree with Juece.

Well usually bad whiffs are punished with 3B, its more damage of course.

IGDR as a punisher is a little bit happy happy dreamland style :) Like i said many times, aB, WS A, 3B is what you need to punish. iGDR only covers moves from i16 to i18. Most of the -15 Moves cant be punished with iGDR.

Risk/ Reward is extremely AGAINST iGDR, you get 55 and risk 80-110 against almost every character. Wanna punish a -16 Move and you are 1 frame too late?? Bam 80 Damage. End up in DC? Again you get punished.

Of course its still a very good move, if you read your opponent right and can use it as an interrupter...if it still had his priority from SC3 it would be GODLIKE, but in SC4...meh...SC3 iGDR>>>>>SC 4 IGDR imo.

Move Set: 44A
Defensive Rate: 4/4
Description:
-Very slow
-leaves you at -1 on block.
-good recovery even upon whiff.
-can mix up with 44aB.
Situation:
-When the opponent is at a distance
-44aB maybe good for a bit of mix-up but has to be used with caution

Move Set: 22K
Defensive Rate: 9001/4
Description:
-Parries iCS
-Parries Horizontals
-Mid
-Parries iCS
Situation:
-When you expect a Horizontal or an iCS
-Or you can just throw it out there and hope it hits

For 22_88K I say itz half offensive and half defensive.

What makes it half offensive is that there's an attack and the fact that itz armed with an auto-GI window makes it half defensive.

-iCS is Ivy's command throw right? well 22_88K can parry any throw but has to be JI I believe.

-itz true that it parries Horizontals but there are certain exceptions like Vader's 1B.

I agree with the situation; in addition, for me I use that when I expect the opponent to 2A me. After I hit with 1K I do a 22_88K follow-up to counter their 2A's cuz usually when ppl retaliate they use 2A as a common interrupter.

Also there are certain opponents who would have a basic A (eg. Sophie, Xianghua, Taki etc.) that is faster than Cervy's fastest A attack after they block Cervy's bK. So I do that auto-GI move.

Vader's 1B is vertical and I mostly posted that as a joke because Babalook got a lucky JI against my iCS online.

It's pretty good though if you expect a 2A/AA I guess.

Back