Rate my commentary! (Texas Bar Fights 9 SCV Finals footage here!)

LordSturm

[09] Warrior
Hey guys, I had the pleasure of entering my first SCV tournament yesterday, and although I didn't do as well as I hoped in the competitive side of things I had the amazing experience of getting to cast the finals on a livestream, which was so much fun. I've never done any casting before, but it was a great experience and I'd love to do more of it, so I'm asking 8wayrun for some advice on how to get better! :)

The videos are now up at YouTube, and for the sake of not making this post any longer, the videos are embedded at the bottom of the page. I casted the winners finals solo, the losers finals with ChickenWing (a great player from San Antonio) and had the amazing opportunity to cast the Grand Finals with Tom Brady of Mortal Kombat fame. :O

I'm gonna watch the stream now and edit this post with some critiques I can come up with myself (the most obvious one being at the beginning where I was too far from the mic >.<), but if you think of anything I miss, please don't hesitate to let me know! And if you feel like commenting about my commentary the games from the finals were AWESOME, so definitely check those out!

tl;dr: Awesome SCV finals matches, let me know what I did bad on commentary.

EDIT: My own critiques, along with my GF's, who is incredibly critical >.>

--Lots of "OH's" with space behind them, where I'd try to link my thoughts together and decipher what exactly happened. Need to be quicker on my feet there (my GF called them sex noises xD)

--Messed up some number pad notation on a few moves (I'm especially unfamiliar with Xiba, but Asta and Natsu I just wasn't fast enough on the notations that I knew)

--Another thing that happened when I was commentating that I'm sure infuriated the stream was mixing up the words "round," "match" and "game."

--I was stuttering a little bit (I was plenty nervous D:), I could use some practice getting my thoughts out there in a clearer fashion. This was definitely a new experience for me :)

--I noticed that Tom Brady wasn't afraid to get things wrong and then correct them after the fact when he commented on something. I think the stutters were related to wanting to get everything right the first time, and maybe I should just fly off the handle more when I speak and not worry about getting some things wrong.

--I feel like the synergy between me and ChickenWing was pretty good, we had a great back-and-forth at certain times. He added some great analysis to the games in the Loser's Finals.

--I would like to add more personality to my casting. When Tom Brady stepped in for Grand Finals it was evident he's been doing this for infinitely longer than me. I also think I was stepping on his toes more than I did with ChickenWing, but Tom Brady has a much stronger voice than I did, so it worked out in the end.

--Another thing Tom Brady did well was his use of volume in critical situations. I think I must have been afraid to hurt the streamer's ears or something, but I can definitely do more with my vocal volume to increase the hype of the match.

Not bad. Just one thing, though. Try to avoid that play-by-play mode you get into sometimes. This isn't radio.

CW - STAGE SELECT

Thanks for watching CNP. A quick question about your thoughts: what would you rather hear me talk about if I took more breaks from discussing play-by-play? Would you like to hear more discussion about strategies employed by the players in certain situations, or matchup analysis, or something else?

No problem. I wanted to watch the matches.
Would you like to hear more discussion about strategies employed by the players in certain situations, or matchup analysis, or something else?
Yep, that's better stuff to talk about, whiling noting only interesting or important things going on in the match.

Thanks for the tips again, CNP.

Just a quick update to say that the games are now up on YouTube, so that means no more searching through the stream archive! Woo!

Here's a link to the videos:

This is really cool. I've ran into several commentary vids on youtube, and this is an exciting idea you're doing. It really adds to the excitment of the tournament and gives us viewers an understanding of the match we're watching. As a decent gamer, I don't always understand all the mechanics of what goes on, when I perform an attack move and it get's cancled or it doesn't go through, so this could be a fun learning experience for me. With enough practice and posting, you'll certainly get better at it. Humble beginnings are what makes for greater stuff.

I'm trying to start a fanfic film series or movie, since my first student film. I don't have the resources yet but when I do, I plan to do a sequel. ^^ I was pretty excited about my first film, although it isn't much but hey, I can work with that idea and still add more interesting things. Feel free to check it out. I have it posted here, it's called "Interactive Warrior". Let me know what you think. ^^

Back