Regarding FSAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
Here are some things that I witnessed at FSAK If you don't know what I'm talking about, then let me explain a couple of things that I witnessed there, that I'm pretty sure haven't been discussed openly on the forums.

Now before I start, I know there are people reading this who are thinking "wtf are you doing, stop creating drama!!", well guess what, the drama isn't starting here, it started at FSAK. So blame those people for creating the drama. I'm just speaking TRUTH. And you can't keep truth hidden forever. If you think that me speaking out about this openly is wrong, then surely you must agree that the issue at hand is also wrong, and shouldn't have happened. My intention here isn't to undermine the fun that people had at the event. My intention is to talk about this openly so that maybe we can find preventative measures to ensure that things like this don't happen at future events. So that the final outcomes for and results for tournaments are legitimate, rather than illegitimate like they were for FSAK.

To give an idea of what happened at FSAK, I'll only share two instances that I experienced first hand, and not the other things that I heard happened.

I won't mention names because I don't want to be the one to bring people into this, thought I'm sure names will be brought up soon enough. But anyways the first example of what happened went like this; "player A" had about 5 losses or so, "player B" had many more losses. If player A loses any more, he will be out of the top 5. They played each other. Player B wins. Player A asks player B to LIE and report it as a win for player A because at this point player B is too far behind in the tournament, and player A wants to try to stay in top 5 so he can get some money.

The second goes like this. There is player S, player W, and player M. Player M is a very special guest who has traveled from a country far far away, and works hard for his legitimate wins... Player S is in 3rd, and player M and W can either get 1st or 2nd, based on the yet to happen match between S and W. If player S and player W would play, and player S won, player M would have gotten 1st place. So player S and player W devise a plan to ensure player M doesn't win. Player S and W decide to not even play, and decide to LIE and report it as a win for player W anyways, thus eliminating any possibility for player M to win 1st place.

Wins based on lies.

And they did this for money. It seems like many people don't care about competition, honor, respect, integrity, or even honesty. They only care about money. And that's just sad.

Anyways, although I had a fantastic time at FSAK, all this that happened left a bad taste in my mouth. I just can't respect a competition that has people playing and "winning" based on lies.

ggs

2M 2Y

OOF I was thinking about making a thread like this but I felt someone like me would be ignored

Im glad a top player brought these issues to light
the fact that shit happened at such an amazing event is very sad and disheartening

I'm sorry, I know the tone of this thread is serious and I actually agree with quite a bit (however I spoke my piece to those individuals and didn't find the need to put drama out there) but I had to literally LOL when I saw, "player W" "player S" and "player M".

Its even funnier when you think about that Player M suppported player S financially to come to Country F just a few months before and then gets betrayed by player S so Player M doesnt get his deserved Money...:P

Sad story, even though i knew about this for quite a time now....good somebody who was there puts this on the table so everybody knows what happened.

Well what's done is done. The truth is the match could have been played and Player A can simply throw the match but make it look convincing. The thing is 1 or 2 players do something that you may not agree with but the rest of the players showed up and play their hearts out. So for that I think it's still worth showing up. The community has a lot of members not just 2-3 individuals. So IMO don't leave over 2-3, there's still the rest of the community(which needs every player remaining).

Also NEC is a completely different format so this can't happen because no one will willingly lose a match if you can only lose twice.

I may be a pathetic nobody..But shouldnt the words "banishment" come up for players S & W? That kind of shit absolutly can not happen. My heart is seriously broken. Why would you do that?

HRD

What's done is done. Other than that, there's really no way to stop someone from 'throwing' a fight. I'm indifferent towards the whole thing but, if everyone feels wrong, perhaps we should set in motion something to prevent such a thing from happening (like as we had, but there were not nearly enough TOs for every match)...maybe TOs being the only ones with the ability to report the outcomes of matches?

I don't know what happened with everyone, but, if there was nothing said at the actual event (and why the match wasn't streamed is beyond me, though, like I said, there's nothing stopping players from throwing matches), the only thing we can do now is prevent something like that or other things from happening.

I ran this event, so I feel like my input on the matter has some weight.

A large portion of my love for this community came from coming from other communities, and noticing a couple things I felt were different about this one. The top players were more personable, and honestly seemed like just people I wanted to hang around alot more. The smaller nature of it all made it seem more personal. I know almost every tournament regular on a first name basis. I was blinded by that, and suppose I am responsible because I put no anti-collusion rules in place for this tournament. I didn't think I needed to.

Of course, some people take this to mean they can wave their "play to win" flags, shrug their shoulders, and point the finger at me while saying "what's done is done".

Regardless, how this turned out has pretty much removed my illusions on the matter. It has also removed my will to help the community on a scale beyond my own local (trusted) group of players. I will not be travelling to another SC4 tournament. Nor will I be running any more majors. After explaining the matter to some of them, I think alot of them are in the same boat.

Besides the above examples given by OOFMATIC, I have pretty much heard in confidence by other people bothered by this of several other instances of collusion. This community loves to shoot itself in the foot, it seems.

There are two lessons here: Make your rules to assume the least common denominator; and understand people will shit where the eat.

I'm sorry I didn't see this coming.

-Idle

Optimistically, this was nearly always a result of the format and just how long it took to play the matches. While there was some shady stuff that went on, there was also just some people who stopped playing and either reported their last few matches as wins (or forfeits by the players they couldn't play), or just wanted to get as many matches done as they could and asked people who they were 99% sure they would beat (and who would agree with them) if they could call the match and move on.

I think (assume [hope]) that it was like that for most, and the more nefarious and premeditated actions were very few.

I heard about this in javachat a while back and I totally agree with you Oofmatic. I do not think there is any way to realistically enforce honesty, but that doesn't make it any less fucked up.

This situation could have been avoided by taking the top results and put them in a bracket. I made that suggestion a few times, but whatever. Ain't much you can do three weeks after the event.

P.S. Player W > all.

Problem was that most of the top 5 did not want to round robin after the tourney. It made sense, really. Why would you want to gamble your $700+ when you could easily be knocked down to $60.

Though, I'd still love if someone posted the final results in some way. Just so I can remember half the people I played against.

Random nobody butting in, lets just say once upon a time player "O" saved a glitch for nationals and no one was okay with it. People will do screwed up things and the only thing to do is try to prevent it in the future not out right quit. And can player "O" really claim to be on a moral high ground?

Random nobody butting in, lets just say once upon a time player "O" saved a glitch for nationals and no one was okay with it. People will do screwed up things and the only thing to do is try to prevent it in the future not out right quit. And can player "O" really claim to be on a moral high ground?

there is a difference between saving a strat/glitch and cheating
clearly you see that?

There's was also no rule that you couldn't play and throw the match which would have been the same.

So the glitch wasn't cheating? I guess that's why there's now a rule about glitches...

The thing is, at that time and for a while after the VC glitches were completely legal. Why would I not save a strat for a tournament, that utilizes a glitch that is tournament legal?

Well maybe I'm wrong but I think what was done is nearly the same level of disrespect to the competing players.

I'm not saying FSAK events weren't wrong I don't agree with what happened. I'm just saying you're quitting when you've done something that's at the very least "questionable"

But I'll drop it clearly I'm alone in my opinion.

Well maybe I'm wrong but I think what was done is nearly the same level of disrespect to the competing players.

I'm not saying FSAK events weren't wrong I don't agree with what happened. I'm just saying you're quitting when you've done something that's at the very least "questionable"

But I'll drop it clearly I'm alone in my opinion.

No, ur not.
I agree with u completely and I'm sure others do too.
They jus don't post up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back