Retreating with Hilde

RTD

SC4 International Champ
Unlike the rest of the cast, Hilde has many interesting ways to retreat.

Let's analyze those options and discuss them.

Retreat moves:

1B
7_8 K
K~G (Kick Guard cancel)

Retreat with back dashing:

4G
back dash cancel. People do this different ways. This is how i do it: 4~5~14~5~14...
Note: Hilde's back dash is probably just above average relative to the rest of the cast. It's not a top tier back dash like Algol's or even Xianghua for that matter.

Retreating after charges:

You can safely retreat after all of Hilde's charges

Retreating after moves:

A+B -> gives Hilde +2, so she can safely retreat after this move
44K -> good push back on 44K, so Hilde can safely retreat after this move

I can first of all tell you that 44 is the worst option for retreating because it is the SLOWEST one. K~G is an instant retreat but it doesn't cover as much ground as back dashing. But K~G is indeed a safer retreat option.

7_8 K is -12 frames I think and 1 B is negative but I don't know by how much.

Between 1B and 7K, 7K is the more effective retreat option. One reason is because it seems to have better recovery than 1B and it seems like it has a faster start up time.

But there may be times when you need a retreat move that hits low, i.e., for Lizzy's crawl, etc.

Who knows, 7K may even retreat further away than 1B.

This will need to be looked into.

Bash dash canceling is the fastest retreat option but the safest one is 4G.

So what has been your experience when retreating with Hilde?

Regular step but in the up-forward direction (9). As far as I can remember Hilde's the only one who can 9 step his entire crawl mixup including the 1A. Of course just like any other form of step it has to be well timed.

I'm almost certain there is no such thing as a 9 step. you can either 8,2,4,or 6 for different kinds of steps.

I wouldn't even call K~G a retreat; it's really only good for faking opponents out, or if you're just spaced perfectly. As far as retreating, if 7_8K tech jumps and slides back a good distance, if they block then it spaces them out.

I wouldn't say 1B is any good for retreating. Sure, it steps you back a little bit, but if someone steps to the side, the recovery is bad enough that they can hit you. At least, that's what I've found in practice.

I'm almost certain there is no such thing as a 9 step. you can either 8,2,4,or 6 for different kinds of steps.

I'm not sure if on a technical level stepping with 9 qualifies as a step. Though thats irrelevant because I know for a fact stepping in the 9 direction vs. Lizzy crawl stance as oppose to any other direction 8,2,4,6,7,3,1 does not produce the same results as 9 does in that situation. Also looking at the animation it looks exactly like a step.

I've responded about Lizzy's crawl in the match up thread.

back dash cancel. People do this different ways. This is how i do it: 4~5~14~5~14...
Note: Hilde's back dash is probably just above average relative to the rest of the cast. It's not a top tier back dash like Algol's or even Xianghua for that matter.

can anybody post up a vid or elaborate more on this? Preffer a vid! Thanks. I will try this at home today. If I can figure some thing out on this, I will post a vid up myself.

Just based on what S-U has been saying, I somehow get the feeling he means sidewalk as opposed to sidestep. I know that Hilde can sidewalk into 22_88AA_B(B for if they try to stance shift into SBH) all of seig's options after 3 but has trouble sidestepping them properly for some reason.
Lizzy crawl might be the same.

Back