Saturn Pad or Joystick?

Esper

[08] Mercenary
So I've been reading up in some threads about pads and joysticks. Apparently there much better to use then the regular PS3 controller. I've been leaning towards a Saturn Pad or a Hori Joystick, but can't decide. So I have a couple of questions...

1. Saturn Pad or Joystick? Which is better?
I'd prefer the Saturn Pad because its the cheaper alternative. But I guess if I look around on the interwebs for a while I could find a cheap Joystick somewhere (Saw a Hori Joystick on the Gamestation website for about £10!).

2: How much easier is it to use the Saturn/Joystick pad compared to the Sixaxis PS3 pad? Does it make a noticeable difference?

I can't give you any advice on how those pads compare.

The question whether you prefer a stick or a pad however depends on personal preference and maybe the characters you play. Simultaneous button presses are easier on a stick when you're not used to mapping them on shoulder buttons. The rest is really a matter of taste and you should try it out for yourself. However, the first week will be awful when you never used a stick before and you shouldn't give it up too fast before making your decision.

The USB Saturn pad has a nice d-pad and it has six face buttons. Both help a lot with most FG's compared to the DS3 etc.

For 2d fighters like SF it's a no brainer, but for example in SC, you could lay out the buttons like

ABK
GGA

That way you can hit all the major button combinations easily with your thumb without having to resort to that claw method etc.

Back