SC6 console version & graphics impressions?

LostSoul_83

[10] Knight
Since the beta is now available this weekend and a lot of you are playing Sc6 finally. This thread is for posting your impressions of the graphics/visuals together with which console you are using to help people like me trying to make an informed choice whether to invest in a pro/plus console or stick with the standard.

I have heard some people say that the graphics don't live up to the impression they had from the trailers and/or tournament footage up to this point - I'm trying to ascertain if this is because they are using the original xboxone/ps4 and these have downgraded lighting/textures/shadows etc compared to the pro consoles?

The chances are that most of the footage released online prior to the beta was probably pro/plus grade in order to showcase the games visual flare at its best, which might explain why some people are feeling underwhelmed if they only have standard consoles.

Post which console version you are using and your thoughts on this, or any opinions aside.

Last edited:
Any takers? I want Sc6 to look the best it can because I have waited so long for it, so I'm seriously considering getting a ps4 Pro before release.

Unless you have a 4K monitor/TV, you probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

I’m playing on ps4 and yes I did notice that the graphics weren’t quite as polished as they appeared during showcases and trailers. This was only noticeable during super close ups though such as CE cinematics etc. Otherwise I didn’t really notice at all. Regardless the game looks and plays beautifully. Personally I’m fine with it as is, however if I didn’t already have a ps4 and was looking to buy one, I’d probably go with the pro just to have the most up to date hardware.

Unless you have a 4K monitor/TV, you probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

Yeah that's what my impression was for some time but I since heard that even with a 1080 monitor a ps4 Pro will slightly look better than a standard ps4 due to enhanced lighting/textures/shadows. But I'm not sure to what extent.

Yeah that's what my impression was for some time but I since heard that even with a 1080 monitor a ps4 Pro will slightly look better than a standard ps4 due to enhanced lighting/textures/shadows. But I'm not sure to what extent.

Personally, the graphics comparison is incredibly negligible and that’s even if you have the 4K tv to work with. A PS4 Pro will offer much better hardware performance though (less loading time, higher framerate in some cases), but that’s only with very hardware intensive games. SCVI isn’t really hardware intensive.

That being said, if you want the best bang for your buck (and if you don’t mind having less of a playerbase to work with), SCVI on PC will be the best for you because input lag will be virtually nonexistent and the graphics will only be restricted by your rig, mods withstanding. This is also the reason why the trailers have looked “outstanding” as others might put it, because they were likely rendered on PC and not a console.

Since the beta is now available this weekend and a lot of you are playing Sc6 finally. This thread is for posting your impressions of the graphics/visuals together with which console you are using to help people like me trying to make an informed choice whether to invest in a pro/plus console or stick with the standard.

I have heard some people say that the graphics don't live up to the impression they had from the trailers and/or tournament footage up to this point - I'm trying to ascertain if this is because they are using the original xboxone/ps4 and these have downgraded lighting/textures/shadows etc compared to the pro consoles?

The chances are that most of the footage released online prior to the beta was probably pro/plus grade in order to showcase the games visual flare at its best, which might explain why some people are feeling underwhelmed if they only have standard consoles.

Post which console version you are using and your thoughts on this, or any opinions aside.

I'm trying the beta version of the game for the first time on ps4. It looks pretty awesome to me but I consider the difference between whether it is in 4k or not to not be a big deal for me. My question has to do with the difference between console version and beta. For people who have played the console verson, is it fast like part 2 and can you sidestep and dodge attacks like in 2? Are there evades? I ask because the beta version for me was lagging a lot and it was difficult to pull off moving around without getting punished. Also I noticed anytime I would input a guard impact it would execute on screen in whatnseemed like almost a second late.

I'm trying the beta version of the game for the first time on ps4. It looks pretty awesome to me but I consider the difference between whether it is in 4k or not to not be a big deal for me. My question has to do with the difference between console version and beta. For people who have played the console verson, is it fast like part 2 and can you sidestep and dodge attacks like in 2? Are there evades? I ask because the beta version for me was lagging a lot and it was difficult to pull off moving around without getting punished. Also I noticed anytime I would input a guard impact it would execute on screen in whatnseemed like almost a second late.

That's standard ps4 you're using right?

So I've played the beta and found the visuals be quite nice on my standard ps4 although some quite obvious aliasing / jaggy edges at times.

Apparently the ps4 pro has a supersampling feature which renders the game at 4k then down samples for 1080 tvs which apparently smooths out the aliasing. Although from what I have read not all games would support this and it depends on the programming of the game as well to an extent.

Does anybody know if Sc6 will support super sampling on the ps4 pro? I haven't been able to find anything about it. Its probably safe to assume it does because much of the gameplay footage online is ps4 pro and certainly looks much cleaner and crisp than how it looked on my ps4 standard, even just from watching YouTube clips at 1080.

I played on Xbox One S and I found the same thing as JegTheGemini. M

Mechanically the game played great, from network to combat, but it almost seemed like some of the character clothing had jaggy lines on them, and that the textures weren't all they should be cracked up to be. It was quite strange, almost like the beta didn't contain all the textures. But I am playing on an old plasma TV that the max it can do is 1080p, so maybe that could have impacted it.

That being said, a few things that impressed me were the fluidity of combat and how they blurred the background to maintain focus on the characters, that made it look really good.

And on a random note, maybe I was just crazy, but I feel like the graphics may have improved across the weekend. But they wouldn't have patched it would they?

Looks great on PS4 pro. If it is like Tekken on ps4 and xbox one it will be 900p upscaled to 1080p.

There will be less effects on the older consoles too, check out any digital foundry comparison for tekken 7 to get an idea.

PS4 pro on a 1080p will still look better if you use super sampling... which renders 4k and downscales to 1080p. This gives the edges a really smooth look.

I noticed a lot of generally unaesthetic things:

1.) Blocky shadows
2.) Model clipping (Sophitia's arms clipping thru her skirt in her entry animation for example)
3.) Jagginess on models (Taki's mammaries, Ivy's shoulders, everyone's feet, etc)
4.) Armor destruction looking great for some characters, poor for others (Ivy and Taki get their outfits stylistically destroyed while Sophitia's and Maxi's clothes just apparently explode and disappear)
5.) Rough textures
6.) The fur on Groh's outfit, it looked terrible.
7.) Lip's not syncing well with dialogue. I specifically noticed this on Tira.

I'm just being extremely critical. The game is very fun and generally looks pretty good. It's just hard to ignore games that look as good as God of War when looking at SC6's presentation.

When you're dealing with a universal game engine like UE4 you are going to get less gains compared to an in house engine. I'm just glad that Soul Calibur is back to having the bright palette that has been missing since SC3.

Back