SCV Ivy Video Thread

Help! xD
My skirmishes with a very good Algol have left me scarred and bruised. I win once in 5 battles vs him (and I have an impression those were pity wins xD ). I require some advice from anyone who is willing to help. But please, if you wish to help me, see all 3 fights. Each is unique. In the first one I wasn't very focused, and in all 3 there are some mistakes caused by lag (6b comes out instead of 6b8 etc.). I need to know what strategy I should adopt, what is my opponent relying on... Things like that.
@KineticClash You helped me a lot in the past. If you can spare an advice or two, I'll be very grateful.

Meaning...? What is it that I need to change with my approach to the game? Was I too rash? I usually am not... I think.

You played really well against that Algol... The Algo/Ivy matchup is hard for Ivy since he's got tools to pretty much beat out everything you've got at any range, pretty much forcing you to go for hard reads that are punishable pretty heavily. There's not much to be done for the auto GI move except to block and punish it.

You had the right idea ducking b,b,b but it looked like you tried to punish too soon and got hit. Vs the bubbles, you can attempt a quick sidestep to 8B+K but it can be risky and you have to judge your distance really quickly.

When I play against good Algol players, I try to get their rhythm down and Just Guard their stuff... it really forces them to change up their patterns giving you just a little more time to hit them.

I wouldn't use B+K for oki since you can just guard the 2nd and 3rd hits and get a big punish.

@KineticClash You helped me a lot in the past. If you can spare an advice or two, I'll be very grateful.

Always happy to help.

First, the bubbles are affecting you way more than they should. Give them minimal attention. When you see them, just sidestep and continue with your own range game. Things like 6B hold and 6A hold.

QI is generally easy to deal with. Sometimes you can bait it out and 6B8 him out of the air. Other times you can just GI so that you're back in control. Don't let it trip you up.

I noticed you used some unsafe moves at midrange that he would whiff punish with things like 1A > CE. Just be aware of the range of your whip attacks and the risk involved with using them.

I would suggest using more 3B against Algol. He is probably the 2nd largest character, and NH 3B > 6B8 combos very often on him.

Last thing, take advantage of sidestep vs Algol. His step killers are typically unsafe, or not very damaging. This will make up for the fact that you can't really backdash vs him.

Duck Algol's 6KK. It's his best i13 move but the second one is a high. Also, learn to counterhit-confirm 6AK and iWR A+B B. Imho iWR A+B might be the best step-killer she has if you can counterhit-confirm it. And +10 on 6AK is just to good to not use. Either JG or step WR KK hold. @7:35 you could have taken the round with a JG>CE. KC pretty much has everything covered though.

Overall you did great during the matches especially the second one. You got a bit frustrated and predictable during the 3rd one causing you to eat a lot of 623B. And I'm jealous at certain spots where use CS without showing any movement. (Like blocking algol's low and then using CS.)

Duck Algol's 6KK. It's his best i13 move but the second one is a high. Also, learn to counterhit-confirm 6AK and iWR A+B B. Imho iWR A+B might be the best step-killer she has if you can counterhit-confirm it. And +10 on 6AK is just to good to not use. Either JG or step WR KK hold. @7:35 you could have taken the round with a JG>CE. KC pretty much has everything covered though.

Overall you did great during the matches especially the second one. You got a bit frustrated and predictable during the 3rd one causing you to eat a lot of 623B. And I'm jealous at certain spots where use CS without showing any movement. (Like blocking algol's low and then using CS.)

This is just... Wow! Thank you all for your input!
Also, I never knew what hit-confirm was until today. xD It comes to me naturally sometimes, but from today, I'll pay greater attention to it. Much appreciated!

As for the way I do CS, well, I figured that the ability to buffer all those directions, combined with the fact that one has a few seconds before pressing b+g, makes for CS' greatest strength. This is why I neglected attempting iCS over time, but hey, CS is quite useful enough.

I'll post again here if I successfully implement all that you guys said to me. Until then, I'll keep a cool head when meeting the Hero King.

Yo. Putting up a vid of a very good Ivy player, while secretly looking for ideas on how to do better next time, lol.

Back