Seong Mi-na's name

Worker-Bakery

[08] Mercenary
Hi have a rough time spelling Seong Mi-na's name cause on every game
they changed her name like Seung-Mina and the Seung Mina and Seoung Mina!
Any suggestions?

i dont know the writing system in korea, but i'd guess it's kanji or some varient, and theres no definate way of romanising asian languages. i think theres atleast 3 different ways to romanise mandorin, so i'd guess it's just down to who's translating the game and the way they do it.
so they're all the correct spelling.

Mistranslations. All the time. In katakana her name is Son Mina or at least it's spelt that way. Since there's no "ng" sound in Japanese, interpreting gets hard. It doesnt really matter as long as the sound is remotely close and not something like "Deung Qui-na".
But it annoys me how when writing names underneath health bars or anywhere else, she's the only one that gets her surname in there as well. Her first name is Mi-na... as in like, only "Mi-na"... though it's Project Soul that do this themselves, it confuses me.

Yun-seong's name would have probably worked better as "Yun-sung" as well =\ In katakana he's "Yunsun" while Mi-na's surname is "Son" so really, they should be different names rather than both being Seong.

doubt it has anything to do with mistranslation. more likely then not it's because Romanizing the korean language set up has changed.

take my name for example.

when i was born, my mother's maiden name was spelled "Yun".
now, the spelling for it is "Yoon"

both are technically acceptable, and i still spell my middle name with like "Yun"

the same goes with "Yu" and "Yoo"

same can be said for chinese.. Tao.. is now Dao. so that's probably why.

and though the katakana for her name is spelled "Son" that's because japanese people apparently can't say
"성" which is in fact "seung" or "song" or "seoung". (edit: after reading the entire jelly post. i got to say my fault. clearly i didn't need to say this part when you mentioned it. ha.)

fun.

However the "ng" Velar nasal does exist in japanese, even if they don't have a symbol for it. It just can't occur without the proper phonological environment...

Back