Serious questions now

Vetokfv

[08] Mercenary
Questions answered. Thanks a lot everyone. I'll leave them up.

1. Could someone define what frame rates are? I have the general idea, but if someone could explain it to me again, I would appreciate it.

2. Stemming from the first question, when someone says you are at an "advantage" or "disadvantage" after blocking or being blocked, does that mean you leave yourself (or the opponent is) open for a quick jab, or what?

3. Concerning 8wr, certain vertical attacks have serious amounts of tracking, and I assume there is no comprehensive list (as of yet) listing them. Someone tell me otherwise. I have no problems studying other characters vertical attacks, but I was just wondering if there already was a list.

4. Today I practiced not mashing Amy's 6BBB so much, after learning it would be more desirable to just use 6BB and follow up with other moves. Guess I'm a button masher, since it was hard to only press the button once. Any tips on how I can practice only the necessary presses (besides just praticing, of course)?

5. Should I practice using GI online? Does it really matter in online play? I've done it before, but the opponent probably had minimal lag...

6. Once I hit level 20 (achievement whore, sorry), I'm going to be playing player matches only, but for now I see no reason to play them without fighting against players I can practice my basics with (someone more skilled than I). Anyone from here willing to trade Xbox GMT's and help me practice? My GMT is Kaptain Orlando.

Does that Wiki have anything on it...seriously? o.O

2. Simply means that if you have advantage on block, you recover quicker then the opponent and can attack sooner, thus giving you an advantage immediatly after that attack is blocked. The numbers determine how many frames of advantage you actually have. Getting hit by Zas's BB4 gives Zas a huge advantage because it drags opponents to the floor, and they need to recover from that before attacking back. You are free to do whatever you want, because most characters are not fast enough to attack back after being hit by that. That is Advantage on Hit.

3. Not familiar with a list. Make a mental one, you'll get used to moves that track after playing more games. It does not even seem worth making a list.

4. Not mashing...Obviously good. 6BB~236 is much more effective in most circumstances. Besides just making sure you do it in matches...I have no real advice. Your mashing is just a bad habit, and to fix bad habits you just have to yell at yourself when you realize you're doing it.

5. GI can be pointless online, but if you have a good connection with an opponent you definitely want to GI them. Especially on the many moves where GI is a near garauntee on a player not mixing up moves.
IE: Cervantes BBB. The third B is extremely easy to GI, and theres no reason not to unless you expect them to mixup and not finish the 3rd B or you are waiting to counter hit afterwards. If you get used to your opponents moves, even online, GI is a great tool in my opinion.

6. I'd be happy to play with you...as it seems you really are trying to improve and I have very few people on my list who know propper notation, and it drives me insane.

Archangel: That link you posted didn't answer any of his questions, except that Frame Rate part... Be nice =.=

1. Could someone define what frame rates are? I have the general idea, but if someone could explain it to me again, I would appreciate it.
2. Stemming from the first question, when someone says you are at an "advantage" or "disadvantage" after blocking or being blocked, does that mean you leave yourself (or the opponent is) open for a quick jab, or what?
3. Concerning 8wr, certain vertical attacks have serious amounts of tracking, and I assume there is no comprehensive list (as of yet) listing them. Someone tell me otherwise. I have no problems studying other characters vertical attacks, but I was just wondering if there already was a list.
4. Today I practiced not mashing Amy's 6BBB so much, after learning it would be more desirable to just use 6BB and follow up with other moves. Guess I'm a button masher, since it was hard to only press the button once. Any tips on how I can practice only the necessary presses (besides just praticing, of course)?
5. Should I practice using GI online? Does it really matter in online play? I've done it before, but the opponent probably had minimal lag...

1. Like mentioned in archangel's link, the game runs at 60fps. Thus 1 frame would be the equivalent of 1/60th of a second. That's fast no? We usually take note of the frames of a move in terms of impact frames, frames on hit and frames on block. I advise you not to worry too much about this until you get used to the game.

2. Advantage would refer to +frames on hit or on block. This would mean that the move you threw out made it such that your opponent cannot block until a few seconds later. For example, the speed of your move is i15 (Impact on the 15th Frame) and it gives +2. That means that if you do the same move again, and your opponent does an i14 move, your move will beat his because of your +2 advantage. So your move is something like an i13 instead of i15. And i13 being faster than i14. Wins. Disadvantage would refer to the opposite scenario of course.

3. You might be mistaking tracking for your own mistakes while stepping. Now in SC4 (compared to previous games) you have to complete your step before you can guard or attack, or the opponent's verticals will track you 100%. So Step Guarding etc. = Bad. Apart from this, most verticals track to one side, if they track at all. With some rare few tracking 100%. There's no comprehensive list though, if you surf around the SAs I'm sure you'll find people talking about them.

4. Button Presses.. there's really no way around it apart from practicing.. Lol.
Maybe watching other people while they play? Iduno.

5. Note that Online and Offline experiences are very different, so if you intend to go to tournaments or gatherings etc., I recommend you don't play online at all. Otherwise, go ahead and practice your GI or JF inputs w/e online.. It'll keep changing everytime depending on your connection with your opponent (not to mention at LEAST 3 frames slower than practicemode/offline), so i don't see how you can get consistent at it.

I'm saying that's the place where questions should be asked answered. What's better, fifteen different threads where a new person asks pretty much the same questions over and over again, or one thread where all questions are asked and answered?

It'd also be a great help if, LIKE I REQUESTED A MONTH AGO other mods came in and edited that post to make it SC4 compliant.

1) frame rate is usually refered to as fps which is frames per second. each frame is basically a picture, as what you see on screen is essentially a moving image (imagine a flip book). when someone says a game runs at 60fps it means that there are 60 frames (images) every second. the lower the fps, the more jerky it will be as you will see the transition between each frame clearly as to one fluid motion.

2) this basically refers to your recovery time compared to theirs, when youre at an advantage you basically recover faster then they do, like you get a headstart because for example youre free to attack whilst they are stuck in a blocking animation still.

3) i havent seen a list but it would be quite useful :)

4) you just need to play more and check amy's soul arena forum for more specific character strats to use. use your auto GI/evasive moves if you think they're gonna attack back, attack again on frame traps, use a mixups so they have to block high and low etc.

5) GI is important imo but less so for amy and even less so for laggy online games. it would be a good idea to practice them though so you can pull them off when needed... i can imagine they would be useful for amy to GI slow obvious attacks to help her work the soul gauge.

frame rate is simple. frame data is where stuff gets confusing.

"fast" and "slow" are defined in terms of frames. saying "X move impacts .2 seconds after button press" is kinda worthless, so we say that it impacts on the 12th frame (notated as "i12"). an "i11" move would land 1 frame earlier (faster) and an "i13" move lands one frame later (slower), assuming that the moves are begun on the same frame.

"advantage" and 'disadvantage" are how many frames you have over your opponent. raphs A is NH +4, which means that if you land a normal hit with it then youll come out of the animation 4 frames earlier than your opponent. at this point if you use an i20 move, hell have to use an i16 to have both attacks land at the same time. raphs B is GD -4, so if you use B and it gets guarded then your opponent will come out 4 frames ahead of you, so his i20 will trade with your i16. NH = normal hit, CH = counter hit, GD = guard.

"safe" and "unsafe" refer to the GD advantage/disadvantage number. since you cant do anything until your animation stops, if the GD number is high enough then the opponent will be able to land a hit before you even get a chance to guard. normally if a move is GD -13 or more then thats unsafe, because every char (i think?) has at least an i13 move. some chars have faster ones (taki has an i8), but usually anything under GD -10 is perfectly safe (you cant get punished for it). GD -11 and GD -12 are kinda iffy depending on who youre fighting, because some chars have moves fast enough to hit you before you can start blocking while others cant. of course you then also have to factor in pushback (raphs BB is GD -12 but it knocks the opponent back far enough that most chars that have an i12 move cant punish it bc theyr out of range) and other nonsense, but thats the gist of it.

then you get stuff like "TC i3" on raphs 4B which means that on the 3rd frame of the move and afterwards its in a tech crouch, or "step i7" on raphs 4A which means it will sidestep a move that lands on its 7th frame or after, or "AE i22-i39" on raphs VE stance, which means that he will auto-evade certain attacks that land on the 22nd-39th frames of that move.

i have a question...
how do i shake out of stuns and how do i perform a quick get up when knocked down?
sorry for being a noob since this is my first SC game. thanks

I remember reading your copypasta. Indeed, I couldn't find it again, what with the name newbie silencer, in a section I haven't explored yet. My mistake.

Thanks, ShenOu and ojste. Questions answered.

You can find it very easily in the Directory stickied at the top of this forum.

copypasta? Dammit, now I'm hungry.

pangke: Before, you had to input 8 directions - shaking the stick usually worked. But due to time/money/life constraints, I've only played SC4 once, so I don't know if the same holds true for this version.

thank you sir archangel...
gotta try that after work when i get home. just gonna do a 360 motion like doing the piledriver for zangief then...
i've already figured how to get up quickly after being knocked down.

Back