Setsuka JF Thread

How to do JF for Setsuka.

In my case, :aG::B: input is :A::G: on square and cross input and :B: is on L1 input. It's easier this way. :)

Try this :)

I've been afraid to use the Umbrella lately because I know I've been struggling with it, but my game isn't going to get any better unless I learn it, so here I am.

I'm having trouble timing the buffer on 214~3aB after A+K B. I'm convinced that you can't buffer the 214 during the A+K B animation, but I might be completely off track. I don't even need to learn the JF right now, since the regular Umbrella hits after A+K B, I just need to know if there's a trick to the timing, or if I really just need to train my thumb to move that fast.

start buffering when setsuka's sword is completely extended in A+K B, or start buffering at the "t" in "depart"

For me, when the sword is completely extended, it's still a little too soon. I have to wait until the sword becomes mobile again.

It might differ because of our screens, but to A_Bad_Idea, it should give you a general idea of when you have to start the directional inputs.

I've been afraid to use the Umbrella lately because I know I've been struggling with it

just keep practicing it with the pad you'll get. Take a look at a few of my setsuka vids and see how i use the umbrella although some umbrella tactics i have arent always good so be careful how you use it

the best practice I can offer for training JF umbrella is to do 3B, JFU

Last I checked you can always hit with umbrella if it's a JF off of 3B, and you can practice it all day long.

Once you start hitting them in the air with it, you know you've got the input down.

I'm still a bit confused about the timing of some of her JF, I can pull off 1B:B and facing back B+K:B about 85% of the time, but 1A:A:A, and FC 3B:B still screw me over.

On FC3B:B, press B before full extension. The window is forgiving.

1A series is kind of tricky. Wait a little after hit and press A on first, then A again on hit on the second.

Hope it works well for you!

FC 3b:b is a little faster than 1b:b

1a:A:a watch when the blade hits, thats when you press it. the rhythm is like 1a.........a.......a (gap between the a's get shorter)

I'm having some big problems doing Setsuka's 1B:B and that 1AA:A move.

1B:B isn't so bad, but I can never pull off a single 1AA:A despite trying to do it over 200+ times.
Any tips on this?

thats because its 1a:A:a, note that there are two just frames in that move.

the 2nd hit must be JF (and also actually hit them) before the 3rd JF hit will even come out at all.

For all the JF but Umbrella I find that pressing the next button when the attack hits works. It's almost like a during hit attack but yeah umbrella is a bit harder to pull of not the slide but the 2143 part is what can mess me up sumtimes.

Is there a trick to timing the JF Umbrella input from :2::1::4::B::+::G:? I desperately need to make my throw game deadlier, and this would be just the trick to leveling up my Setsuka game.

During the last slash of the throw, when her arm begins to sweep across horizontally, in the middle of that animation, that's when you want to buffer the umbrella. Be careful not to do it too early. You can land regular umbrella as well.

I've found that basically that last slash of the throw is the signal for when to start your inputs.

None of your inputs before the last slash will register (as far as I've seen), so start off by doing the 22A+B,A followup to find out when you can start pressing buttons and then switch to the umbrella. Also, if you can't do the JF Umbrella, it'll be that much harder to end the throw with it. It comes out a frame faster and it's extra tight timing as it is.

I refer to this thread posted recently by heywtf: http://www.8wayrun.com/f38/setsuka-q-a-thread-t1168/post47632.html

I'm having the same issue as this guy, but I think I'm faring better, since I can do 2143 aB (non-JF version) 6 out of 10 times.

However, like him, my problem is that sometimes, I can just keep getting 214A even when I input 2143 aB.

Is there any reason why we keep doing 214 A even when we input 2143 aB?
Or maybe we didn't input the 3 and the B accurately?

hetwtf is doing it on joystick, and I'm doing it on D-pad.
I've always been a D-pad guy and doing this 2143 aB is way easier for me on D-pad.

I was wondering if we could do 21473 aB instead of just 2143 aB.
This way, because we're rotating up all the way up to 7, it will ensure that we have inputted 214 completely, then from 7, we slide down to 3.

Pls advise! :-D
Nikar

214 doesn't really have strict requirements in terms of input so I don't think the problem lies in 214. I'm fairly sure the reason why WR A seems to come out more often than umbrella is because you're inputting aB too early. I was having the same problems, i'd often input 214aB3 in a quick attempt to pull off the move... but doing this causes WR A to come out. Just as long as you make sure you input 2143 before the slide input, then you're good. I'm a joystick user btw.

214 doesn't really have strict requirements in terms of input so I don't think the problem lies in 214. I'm fairly sure the reason why WR A seems to come out more often than umbrella is because you're inputting aB too early. I was having the same problems, i'd often input 214aB3 in a quick attempt to pull off the move... but doing this causes WR A to come out. Just as long as you make sure you input 2143 before the slide input, then you're good. I'm a joystick user btw.
Oh I see! Never thought of that before. I'll try again tomorrow.
Not sure how long you guys train Umbrella input each session? Like 1 hour straight? Or more?
I was training myself to do Umb again and again and the more I did, the less Umbs I can get.
I think I need some rest. X-D

Btw, is it true that we can buffer in Umb while we're lying on the ground?
I was fighting against the dummy in training mode and I got knocked down, and several times, I remember I input Umb and the very second that Sets got up, the Umb came out instantly.

Anyway, I really wished Namco could let Umb do more damage. 30 - 35 points of damage is very pathetic for such a hard to input move (especially the JF version).
They should make the damage like 65 - 85 points.

65-85 damage on a 12-13i punishing move? A little bit crazy, don't you think?

If it was anymore than the damage it is now, it would be considered broken. =/

Might as well give 33B UB properties and give 2A+B super armor for 20 frames. >___>

65-85 damage on a 12-13i punishing move? A little bit crazy, don't you think?
If it was anymore than the damage it is now, it would be considered broken. =/
Might as well give 33B UB properties and give 2A+B super armor for 20 frames. >___>
Actually, at least to me, 65 - 85 damage on a 12 - 13i move isn't so bad.
Ok, maybe not so much, but more like 45 - 55, instead of just 30 - 35.

I personally feel Sets' game should be upped a little more than it is now.
It's like, in order for Sets to take down anyone, the one playing her has to put in a lot of effort during to match to win, or square even. Whereas the other player using other characters can square even or win the match by putting less effort during the match.

It seems that compared to other characters, Sets move are kinda predictable after a while because her game is limited. Yes, her moves come out fast but the range is bad. I've heard of many tales where people say they used Sets in a match and lost / had a hard time, due to the range of her attacks.

Oh, and giving 33B a UB property and making 2A+B have a Super-Armor property is broken. X-D

The least they could do for Sets is to up her attacks' damage a bit more and give her more moves and better mix-up, like Mitsurugi. Everytime I see people use folks like Mitsurugi and Kilik where their mix-up is good as hell, I look back at my Setsuka and wallow in sadness.

Sometimes, I keep wailing and wailing on an opponent non-stop and I look at their lifebar and it's hardly even reduced by much.

Don't get me wrong and don't be offended; I still am gonna use Sets even if I get raped 1000 / 1000 times in a match against other characters, just that if Namco decides to make SC5, they really should improve on Sets' weaker aspects.

Back