Siegfried's A+B

SAPirata

[06] Combatant
In case no one got the message, in SC6 (nearly) every character and their mum got given an arsenal of break attacks to deal with the new RE mechanic in this game. Characters who got more of these tended to be characters with stance-orientated game play, but in general the idea is that players can't simply option select against stance mixups or pressure using RE and had to be a bit more thoughtful about clutching B+G when their backs were against a wall.

Cool, I get it. Yes some of these fast break attack moves have filtered into 'normal play' (i.e. away from the RE meta) and have ended up 1) creating bigger pressure from stance mixups, and 2) piling on the guard damage (apologies, don't know if there's a universally accepted word for this), but it's usually nothing that can't be reasonably reacted to or that you can't learn to read from an opponent in the first few rounds.

Historically and still to an extent, break attacks have been slower moves that are usually susceptible to step, ducking, or interruption. The exception being maybe when you get rewarded for nailing a just frame, e.g. maxi WR kkk. Pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses. But what about Siggy's A+B?

Seriously, what's with this move? I feel like it kinda breaks the rules here... its 40 frames, which yes puts it on the upper end of the range of character A+B breaks (approx 32-42 frames), but this thing can't be stepped, can't be ducked, can't be GI'd or RE'd, so what's the smart defensive option here other than blocking and eating a kak-tonne of guard damage, which seems to be blinking every other round in this game, especially vs. a hard hitter like Siggy.

Bit of a long post about one move, but I wanted to maybe also open the floor up to a discussion around the issue around SC6 feeling like it punishes defensive play, even with the supposed defensive options occasionally effectively being used as ways to keep up momentum rather than counter it.

Seriously, what's with this move? I feel like it kinda breaks the rules here... its 40 frames, which yes puts it on the upper end of the range of character A+B breaks (approx 32-42 frames), but this thing can't be stepped, can't be ducked, can't be GI'd or RE'd, so what's the smart defensive option here other than blocking and eating a kak-tonne of guard damage, which seems to be blinking every other round in this game, especially vs. a hard hitter like Siggy.

If you're just referring to his neutral A+B, you are supposed to duck the first hit then jump the second. Executionally, it is certainly one of the harder A+Bs to deal with defensively and what reward you get from this depends a lot on your character's jump attacks. Alternatively, you can duck the first hit and interrupt the second.

Tried it a couple times, manged to pull it off about 1 in 15 times, can't imagine trying to do it for real though, but maybe I'm just a scrub lol. Not much luck with the interruption either, unless I 2A or 2K on reaction, but this loses to the range of Siggy's A+B (indeed, the range on this beast is another thing putting a thorn in my ass). Thanks though.

I think the number of break attacks a character has and how effective they are utility-wise is going to be material when it comes round to developing tier lists down the line. Maybe I should create a table or something ranking character break attacks by number-in-movelist or something.

That said, most high level players seem to be ignoring the RE/break attack meta and are sticking to more 'classic' play so w/e maybe I am just a scrub.

Back