So many games, so little time! (need advice)

TetsuyaHikari

[09] Warrior
Alright, well..I've had this problem for quite a few months now and instead of trying to solve it on my own anymore, I've decided to ask what the community thinks I should do about this. You see, I have about..I'd say...30 or a little more, RPGs I have yet to beat.

MOST of them will probably take at least 40 hours, others will take more. About two years ago or so, I had started a game on Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. It wasn't until a year later, I finally finished it. My total playtime put into it was a little over 30 hours, which was ridiculous.

That's when I realized, "Okay..I need a plan. It shouldn't take a year to put 30 hours into a game". Well..here I am..still, to this day, without a plan. I've been playing SCIV like crazy since I bought it a few weeks back, but I have soooo many other games I should be playing too!

Don't get me wrong, SCIV is a great game. I enjoy playing it a lot, but..I should try to set aside some time for another game as well. So maybe..slowly, but surely...I can eventually clear this stack of 30+ RPGs. I've been doing that recently though. I've been spending at least 2-3 hours on Wild Arms: Alter Code F after playing SCIV for a few HOURS.

It's just so hard to pull myself away from a game that I'm having fun with. So, here I am. I'll put you in my shoes for a moment and give you some time to think about what you would do. If you were swamped with 30+ RPGs that you would like to play, how would you ever get around to playing all of them?

What kind of system or plan would you have to help you eventually clean your plate? I've been trying to think of a way for a while now and..I'm stumped. I don't know what to do about it. Sometimes it drives me nuts though, lol. I'm thinking I probably won't actually finish all of these games until I'm like..30 -_-

Anyway, if you have any advice at all, please feel free to post what you would do if you were put in my position. You'd think as much as I love gaming, I wouldn't see this as a problem, but man..I never imagined it would be like this. I once told myself, "I wish I always had something to play".

Well..as they say, "Be careful what you wish for". It's more frustrating and pressuring as it is fun. I don't know what to do about this situation. Well, sorry for the rant. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks 8wayrun community

They're on PS2 and PSP. That's the problem though, lol. They're all good. That's what makes this so tough. If they're all good, which one would I start with, what's next, etc.

I know I haven't played them yet, so you're probably asking, "How do you know they are good then?". Well, I've got a natural talent, I guess one might say, that lets me know if a game is going to be good or not. I'm only speaking on my behalf though, since I know what my interests are.

There was ONE time where I picked up a game that I thought would be good, but it turned out not to be, but I was sick then, so I guess my radar got jammed or something @_@

Talk to someone you know has good taste in RPGs... and find out what they think...

So what games are they? We'll tell you whether you should be playing them or not.

Talk to someone you know has good taste in RPGs... and find out what they think...

So what games are they? We'll tell you whether you should be playing them or not.

LOL

My taste in RPGs is fine, thank you. That's not the issue here. I didn't come here to ask what you guys think I should play :P

I'm talking about the situation. Our interests in what you believe is good and what is not is irrelevant. Now, back to the matter at hand. How would YOU handle this?

I can't completely agree that it is irrelevant. People like different games, and you and Jaxel may have different tastes, but determining a pecking order maybe something you really want to think about. You don't have to listen to our advice there, but it can help.

30 hours in a year, explain that to me. I can't really solve the problem unless I know what is actually causing it.

It's simple: either pick one game and stick with it until you beat it or make a schedule of the games you want to play and when you want to play them and stick with it. If you can't do either, then you will be stuck in the same situation you are in now asking for advise.

I can't completely agree that it is irrelevant. People like different games, and you and Jaxel may have different tastes, but determining a pecking order maybe something you really want to think about. You don't have to listen to our advice there, but it can help.

30 hours in a year, explain that to me. I can't really solve the problem unless I know what is actually causing it.

No, our interests are a moot point in this conversation. I'm not here to ask for what other peoples' interests are. Putting that aside, you could still answer the question by placing yourself in my position with your own interests.

So yeah, putting our interests aside, is there a solution to this madness? I believe Malice has the most constructive post yet, but I've tried forming a schedule and that didn't work unfortunately, lol. As for why it took a year to get 30 hours in, that was simply because I kept getting distracted by other games.

ok, i finished like 95% of all available ps2 rpgs and i had the same problems. work, girlfriend, drinking and real life issues prevented me from playing as much as i like.

solutions: as Malice said make some kind of schedule. what you need is time and you should keep playing on a regular basis. like after work take two hours to play games every time it's possible, then do everything else. dedicate specific days off only to gaming. stick with one game until it's finished. if you have more than one you wanna play, start with the oldest one, in order to prepare for the more recent games. try that!

Thanks Jay. I'm working through Wild Arms: Alter Code F at the moment. I've been pretty consistent with it lately, so I'll stick with it until it is finished, then start something else. I feel a little silly playing some of these though, lol.

For example, I've already played the original Wild Arms, so going through Alter Code F is like playing the original, only with better graphics and a couple of extra features. I also have Star Ocean: Second Departure for PSP I want to get around to playing, but I've already played through Star Ocean: The Second Story :/

It just kind of feels like I should be spending my time on games I HAVEN'T played before the ones I have played, lol. It's just so hard to peel myself away from these remakes though. It makes me feel nostalgic and I like seeing all the new stuff they add, comparing it to the original.

just do what i do when i never get around to finishing a game, youtube their endings =P

i've got quite a few rpgs under my belt, and i must say, the thing i do most is just play what interests me most at the moment. Don't force yourself to play something just because you need to finish it, you'll lose interest fast that way. to me at least, but maybe thats cuz im not as hardcore as many other people at gaming. I tend to get bored after a while and take a break from gaming as a whole for a while, rather than switch games. i hate the gear-changing.

But i can relate:

back when i was younger, Shining Force, Lunar and FF3 dominated my time. of course, i finished both Lunars before the other two because...well, its what i wanted to play. FF3 came next, Shining force last. Strategy? no strategy. just play what you feel like. But i'd more suggest to stick with ONE first and finish it overall then go onto the next. otherwise you'll lose interest in one of the others because, well, lets face it. all rpgs have the same core element.

Think i had this same dilemna with Tales of Symphonia, VP: Silmeria and Tales of Abyss. Go figure.

Btw, i still think you should get SH: Homecoming and finish that before anything in your lineup no matter what, but thats just me :o. i said so before and ill say it again, shits amazing. Course they coulda done more, but i'm content at the moment.

It's nice to see someone can relate to the situation...and wow..that was quite the dilemma you were in. Three really great titles. I wouldn't know which one to keep playing, lol.

I think this is kind of like writing an essay. Once I get started and get the ball rolling, then I'm okay, but it's just deciding in the beginning..that's the toughest part for me. As for what I'm going to play after Alter Code F, well..I haven't decided on that yet :P

Just to give you guys an idea of what's on my list right now:

Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki First Chapter, Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki Second Chapter, Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki Third Chapter (all for PSP, not PC versions), Mana Khemia (PS2), Ys V (PS2), Growlanser IV (PS2), Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP), Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2), Tales of Rebirth (PS2), Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (PS2), Tales of Phantasia -Full Voice Edition- (PSP), Tales of Eternia (PSP), Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP), Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP), Suikoden V (PS2), Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (PS2), just to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I actually composed a list in notepad one day a long time ago, but I can't remember all of them. Not to mention..it's just going to get worse this Christmas since I'll be buying more games. Such as:

Persona 4 (PS2), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), Initial D: Extreme Stage (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), The Last Remnant (PS3), Silent Hill: Homecoming (PS3), and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Codes (PS2)

Man..sometimes it's tough being a gamer -_-

Back