Soul Cal 4 for the arcade?

Most times, I stay on the couch and play video games.

But if I had some pocket money, I'd play against the big boys (ages20+) on arcades.

Of course, I'm probably the youngest in these small "tournaments" since I'm 18.

Yet I get more respect like, " Its good to see a young man in arcades" or "Not bad, kid".

Guess I'm some rare breed of fighter......

I am an undying proponent of the arcade, but $40 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend there in a week. The real ideal is to spend maybe $5 or $10 a week, play many kinds of games, many of which use hardware that can't be practically reproduced at home like full-cockpit driving games, peculiar music movement games, large-screen large-gun games, possibly with an additional screen inside the scope, or what have you.

To simplify: Arcades are for specialty controls, premium-grade hardware, a superior level of competition, and a particular kind of focused, hardcore, 100% voluntary enthusiasm. Home/portable gaming is for purity of experience within single games, superior comfort, selecting niche titles for your particular tastes, playing with close friends at great convenience, playing with distant friends via the Internet, and playing games that take a very, very long time or have a very relaxed attitude.

You would have to be a jackass to deny the following: Both environments have games/genres to which they are better suited. Both environments are part of the total gamer culture, and to exalt one and deny the other is ignorance. Ignorance may be bliss, but it's also a root of all evil.
As a player of certain rhythm games (which suffer from an inferior experience at home compared to the arcade) and fighting games, I will say that this post sums up the gaming experiences I look for at home and at the arcade.

I would love to continue to see the arcade experience remain, simply for all the unique things that the arcade experience can bring. (Though maybe not paying $40 a week for it)

Back