Soul Calibur 5 Auto Fuzzy Guard Against Lows

Hellbottom is correct...This existed in at least Sc4 from what i remember, its nothing new...at all. All it is is you tap up repeatedly( gently), if you tap the button with more of a hold to it, you will hop(even without a low attack being done) , if you do it faster with less of a hold with tapping it will fuzzy guard-jump lows... it looks similar to normal fuzzy guard(d~d~d~d~/d/b~d/b~d/b~ etc)...<<< the apparent "glitch"(it is a mostly a glitch btw) is just the opposite of this, with a slight difference in animation... however, you are wide open to mid attacks if you do it improperly, and this was never "patched" in SC4 at all... I knew about this back then, as did others i see. Also as Lolo mentioned, it seems inconsistent, because it is inconsistent, it was in SC4, as seen in SC5 as well...not something you can really rely on when a match/money/tourney is one the line.

Aris, my guess is this... the reason why it seemed it wasn't in SC4 when you played is because you never tried/bothered to see if it was in SC4 , perhaps? Anyway, nice job on vid presentation with explanation.

ITT: Bibulus gets mistaken for Lolo. ;P

So it sounds to me like the player fuzzy guarding/OSing needs to predict the type of low the opponent is going to do for this to work? Everyone who's tried it so far seems to have a different experience with it. Seems kind of random and unreliable.

Either way, it probably should be patched, come to think of it. I'm still not worried about it breaking the game or making characters worthless, but it's probably best just to get rid of it so that people don't panic and quit the game on knee-jerk principle.

Studied "fuzzy jump" today.

As said, tapping 8 while holding G repeatedly will twitch a couple of times, and then your character will go back to guarding and fuzzy jump will disable.

If you press 8 at the wrong time, your guard is open for a split second and you'll be hit by mids.

If you press 8 at the wrong time, you can get hit by low-mid strings in the air, or get hit with slow lows coming back down.

You have to be standing before you can fuzzy jump. You cannot fuzzy jump from the ground. Okizeme mixups are still quite effective, at least until you assume standing position.

Depending on how the move pushes space, at the edge of the ring you can ring yourself out fuzzy jumping.

Reward is variable. Off 2Ks and quick recovery moves you get a mixup (throw mixup?) but nothing guaranteed.

Off of bigger lows, you may or may not get a whiff punish, depending on how late you jumped. Note that because of the 20f buffer window you can buffer in a punish to come out right as you land (e.g. early fuzzy jump Night 1A, buffer in Pat 66B, successful hit. 80 DMG punish.)

Nightmare can vary the timing of 1A, causing fuzzy jump to be moderately effective to completely ineffective.

Fuzzy jump seems to work well against Night's NSS, Sieg's stance mixups, etc. I will remember this.

However, because you have to time your presses, you become preoccupied with watching the opponent. Tapping 8 and then stepping can be difficult because you have to let go of G, and that's if you don't get interrupted stepping (which can still happen as with any defensive maneuver). In some tests, buffering quickstep upon land would step in the wrong direction.

Regardless, holding G and tapping 8 still means you are holding G, and thus you are vulnerable to throws and relatively fast guard break attacks. A run-up throw/3B mixup will completely defeat fuzzy jump.

I will add it to my bag of tricks, but it feels like because of the timing requirement that it is just another way of punishing careless predictable opponents.

Some more notes.

SH AA is -17. Siegfried recovers fairly fast on whiff (fuzzy jumping both), but fuzzy jumping the first A gives you enough time to Just Guard the second for a guaranteed Pat 66B punish (i21).

SH [A] into RSH mixups can be pretty convincingly defeated with fuzzy jump if not interrupted outright.

Natsu can force fuzzy jump from bombs by using fakes out of them. The noobs are right, she is broken. XD

Leixia 2A+B fake seems ineffective (won't force fuzzy jump). Quake stun defeats fuzzy jump. FC 3bB if mistimed will hit a fuzzy jump coming down. Even if timed properly, only mixups possible.

Seems like you can punish 1KK by fuzzy jumping the startup and then TJ the followup, but Leixia can just 1K and all you get are mixups.

wrA+BB is impossible to fuzzy jump on hit. GB version should be dealt with by blocking low then fuzzy jumping. Still nothing guaranteed.

11_77AA can be fuzzy jumped on hit but the cancel can make you freeze psychologically.

22_88kAAB_K can be convincingly defeated with fuzzy jump (yes, ^&*$ that move.)

Back