Soul Calibur 5 World Tourney results

Well I'm not shy about putting my money where my mouth is. Expect some public nitpicking in the relatively near future. ;) I don't think anyone is questioning intent, but we need to get down to brass tacks in terms of execution when it comes to some things if for no other reason than the promise of what SCV can become with the support it's being given.

The World Championship was an absolutely awesome idea, and it gave us absolutely top-notch matches, so why did only ~3000 people tune in? Why wasn't the stream promoted more through this and other sites? Why wasn't the time of the event made readily available before the day of the tournament? Why, if (as rightly pointed out) more substantive commentary might pose problems due to the players being able to hear, wasn't some other accommodation made?

I don't think malice (HA HA) or incompetence are the answers to any of these questions. It's just damn hard to account for everything when you're essentially exploring uncharted territory. That's why it's incumbent upon us to point out what works and what doesn't, even if it's only in vague, impressionistic terms. I've spent enough time talking to Rich, for example, to know that he's not gonna freak out and go Sensitive Sally if someone says "this particular aspect didn't do it for me." He wants what all of us want: SCV blowing up and setting the bar damn high for every other game. Part of our role as the heaviest consumers of SCV content is to take the guesswork out of Namco's job generally and his job specifically. Getting proxy-offended on behalf of other people doesn't strike me as especially conducive to that.

Of course, there is a substantive difference between making a valid point and simply ripping things for the sake of ripping them, but we should all be savvy enough at this point that we can distinguish legitimate discussion from blatant trolling. Beyond that, it's simply a matter of fostering an environment which can accommodate that sort of thing, and of developing a mechanism for expressing critique without stepping on anyone's toes. Once again--and it shocks me deeply that I end up having to explicitly state this over and over--we're all on the same side, and we're working toward the same goals.
Ble you are always right, but remember this SOULLLLLLLLLL EDGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 160 DAMAGEEEEEE LOL.

Just wanted to touch upon things real quick... I don't care if people didn't like the commentary, it won't change my stance on the game and the amount of support I try to help pull in from my company/others. I just want this community to flourish so let's keep it going.

There are tons of events coming up.... from traditional FGC events, to MLG events and even a chance to represent your country at Tougeki/SBO!? LET'S KEEP FIGHTING.

Just wanted to touch upon things real quick... I don't care if people didn't like the commentary, it won't change my stance on the game and the amount of support I try to help pull in from my company/others. I just want this community to flourish so let's keep it going.

There are tons of events coming up.... from traditional FGC events, to MLG events and even a chance to represent your country at Tougeki/SBO!? LET'S KEEP FIGHTING.
Yo i only got one thing to say man, and is DR is for Dominican Republic, lol i laughted when i heard is he a doctor.

I don't think malice (HA HA) or incompetence are the answers to any of these questions. It's just damn hard to account for everything when you're essentially exploring uncharted territory. That's why it's incumbent upon us to point out what works and what doesn't, even if it's only in vague, impressionistic terms. I've spent enough time talking to Rich, for example, to know that he's not gonna freak out and go Sensitive Sally if someone says "this particular aspect didn't do it for me." He wants what all of us want: SCV blowing up and setting the bar damn high for every other game. Part of our role as the heaviest consumers of SCV content is to take the guesswork out of Namco's job generally and his job specifically. Getting proxy-offended on behalf of other people doesn't strike me as especially conducive to that.

Not only are we consumers but we are also the product. And as a product, negativity can make things look less attractive to new people wanting to play the game and tournament organizers. How many people for example are going to want to be part of a community that only complains about how awful the game is? That's how the SC3 community was and it definitely did more harm then good. Do I think Rich and Markman are super sensitive? Not at all. But it would be nice to see people congratulating more and hating less. Maybe my comments aren't conductive in helping Namco's job but it is criticism. Which you did argue was imperative unless criticism about the community in you opinion is different than criticism vs tournaments. I definitely disagree that is there is a whole lot of merit with vague, impressionistic terms but we seem to be in different places ideologically.

There are major differences between someone saying "OMG THEY NERFED MY CHARACTER, I HATE NAMCO" and "I liked the movement in prepatch because the sense of spacing made me think a lot more during the match." Same with "I think they did a great job commentating, but i think they can improve by doing this." and "the commentators were annoying". But oh well, to each their own.

I agree with you there. My original post was needlessly rude and not constructive, so apologies for that.

But it would be nice to see people congratulating more and hating less.

This is where you lose me--I think there's a lot more congratulation than hate being flung around here, which is perhaps one of the reasons that criticism seems jarring and out of place. Not to mention, as I said, I'm not supporting trolling or bullshit. There's a world of difference between that and "wouldn't it be cool if next time..."

Congrats to all the placers and huge congrats to OmegaDR for keeping shit entertaining.
Like others have said, good shit on NFK for repping SoCal!
Really makes me happy to see Namco throwing these events for the community and showing some love.
My ONLY gripe is that I missed my 3rd chance to meet Daishi and all of these great players.... I could of easily have gone to meet yall but since I was told about the party bus on such short notice, I couldn't take off work... womp </3
It was bitter sweet watching it through stream and I hope to see some of you at the Anaheim MLG tournament. :)
Good shit again!

PS: I would of done pre-patch Tira to what you did for Zas Omega, way to take advantage of an opportunity of a life time! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the black man for ya.

I didn't say much before, wanted to add

Omega, Keev, Akire: you guys were clearly the top 3 at this event and deserved your podium places. The matches between you three were intense and all of them could have gone either way. France is still the top nation at this game and I know you and a bunch of others will be back in Vegas for EVO. Omega, I shouldn't say this (cos I'm supposed to be part of camp Europe) but I was rooting for you all the way and I was real happy you took it. There'll be a lot of top players around the world trying to figure out how you put so much pressure on the other two to open them up.

RTD, NFK: it was a pleasure hanging with you guys. RTD your comedy is awesome, and I still can't believe you were talking about us on the same terms, with your record, I still have such a long way to go to actually achieve some things before I can be considered a player on your level. NFK you are a very smart player and easily deserved your 4th spot having dumped me and RTD out of the tournament. You seemed surprisingly low on confidence for someone so good, I wonder how dangerous you would become if you had more confidence to back up your ability. #1 US player as of now.

Toilet, SHK: I guess you guys probably won't see this... I know you will be disappointed with the results but you pushed Keev and Omega really hard in the opening fights so we can see what you guys are capable of. SHK maybe got nervous against Keev after starting so well. Toilet was a smidgeon away from defeating the world champ, and I know Leixia is a tough match-up for ZWEI. Belial has said you guys are at the top, so I hope you get another chance to prove it.

About the commentary: for a start, it's not that bad at all. There's on-the-spot assessments of fairly technical stuff, all while Mark and Rich are putting all their energy into the crowd to keep them in the game. I really doubt many people here could come close to combining the two without killing the energy in the room. Guys, you people need to realise that right behind that crowd, which wasn't an SCV hardcore crowd, was a bar selling free beer, cocktails, whatever you wanted, there were sexy as hell Xiaoyu and Lili cosplayers draped over a Lamborghini, and all this was happening right smack in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip. You want to try keeping people hyped and entertained while they're sitting down watching a computer game being played by other people? In those circumstances? Mark and Rich did an amazing job, end of story.

Lastly, I think Docvizzo said that he was impressed by the organisation. Damn right. Namco really put the effort in to get lag free setups, explaining the whole procedure of announcing and starting matches to the players before the event, sorting out a system so that forthcoming matches could start immediately after the previous one finished, and keeping the place hyped and buzzing even while players were going through button checks and so forth. So a big thank you to Namco for sorting all that stuff out and making the event good for the players and spectators even though it was a side part of a corporate event.

P.S. if Namco are reading fix Tira please thx. And why not, bring Zas back too while you're at it <3 <3

I didn't say much before, wanted to add

Omega, Keev, Akire: you guys were clearly the top 3 at this event and deserved your podium places. The matches between you three were intense and all of them could have gone either way. France is still the top nation at this game and I know you and a bunch of others will be back in Vegas for EVO. Omega, I shouldn't say this (cos I'm supposed to be part of camp Europe) but I was rooting for you all the way and I was real happy you took it. There'll be a lot of top players around the world trying to figure out how you put so much pressure on the other two to open them up.

RTD, NFK: it was a pleasure hanging with you guys. RTD your comedy is awesome, and I still can't believe you were talking about us on the same terms, with your record, I still have such a long way to go to actually achieve some things before I can be considered a player on your level. NFK you are a very smart player and easily deserved your 4th spot having dumped me and RTD out of the tournament. You seemed surprisingly low on confidence for someone so good, I wonder how dangerous you would become if you had more confidence to back up your ability. #1 US player as of now.

Toilet, SHK: I guess you guys probably won't see this... I know you will be disappointed with the results but you pushed Keev and Omega really hard in the opening fights so we can see what you guys are capable of. SHK maybe got nervous against Keev after starting so well. Toilet was a smidgeon away from defeating the world champ, and I know Leixia is a tough match-up for ZWEI. Belial has said you guys are at the top, so I hope you get another chance to prove it.

About the commentary: for a start, it's not that bad at all. There's on-the-spot assessments of fairly technical stuff, all while Mark and Rich are putting all their energy into the crowd to keep them in the game. I really doubt many people here could come close to combining the two without killing the energy in the room. Guys, you people need to realise that right behind that crowd, which wasn't an SCV hardcore crowd, was a bar selling free beer, cocktails, whatever you wanted, there were sexy as hell Xiaoyu and Lili cosplayers draped over a Lamborghini, and all this was happening right smack in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip. You want to try keeping people hyped and entertained while they're sitting down watching a computer game being played by other people? In those circumstances? Mark and Rich did an amazing job, end of story.

Lastly, I think Docvizzo said that he was impressed by the organisation. Damn right. Namco really put the effort in to get lag free setups, explaining the whole procedure of announcing and starting matches to the players before the event, sorting out a system so that forthcoming matches could start immediately after the previous one finished, and keeping the place hyped and buzzing even while players were going through button checks and so forth. So a big thank you to Namco for sorting all that stuff out and making the event good for the players and spectators even though it was a side part of a corporate event.

P.S. if Namco are reading fix Tira please thx. And why not, bring Zas back too while you're at it <3 <3
Duncan?, hey mann, suppp you are the coolest nicest guy ever it was nice meeting you man, thanks for the support, yo you were right about keev going for a reset, take care man.

Congratulations Omega!, after see the whole tournament I think the match against Keev was harder than Akire.

Thanks to you all America continent is growing up, like you others latin americans got enough skills to participate in big tournaments, it's a shame that Namco don't organize tournaments in L.A. I saw a lot of good players from D.R. online and others from south america who deserves a chance to be in a big event.

Omega, le haces un bien a esta zona olvidada de americanos que viven al sur del continente, no se te ocurra perder nunca xD.

I wasn't as nerdy as docvizzo, I didn't stay awake the whole night, lol.
I've just finished watching the videos and stuff. My congratulations to everybody, especially Omega! I was really impressed. It's always great to see so many talented international players in one tournament, I wanna see that more often.

Lol true it was streamed at 6 am in Russia, so I wanted to get up early but was so hyped couldn't sleep and decided to just wait it out, in the end I fell asleep at my desk at 5 am and missed the fun nvm I had a terrible workday under slept and angry TT so I say youre Very lucky 2 have those 3000. Stream time couldn't be worse imo

TANATENIESAAA, this guy here best mitsu ever, my respect to him.

Thank you but ... I don't care to be the best Mitsu or not... I was just happy to meet and fight player like you and I really hope to see you soon for more matches :D !!!

Thank you but ... I don't care to be the best Mitsu or not... I was just happy to meet and fight player like you and I really hope to see you soon for more matches :D !!!
Lol, thats just my opinion, you are the best mitsu i have played so deal with it jejejejeje, i feel the same man i hope i can go to france some time not to play in a tournament, but to have the pleasure to play all of you in ft 10 for a whole week, i hope that when that day comes i have ZAS, take care.

Back