Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen his personality in Daishi's interview around the office ? He didn't seem like the talkative type.

The only man aside from Takuji Kawano that embodies Soul Calibur's overall aesthetic design is the musical composer Junichi Nakatsuru. Those 2 dudes helped shaped SC's definitive experience.

Granted, in SC5 there were different composers introduced as well, and Junichi Nakatsuru was not responsible for the "Edge of Soul" masterpiece, but he still had massive contribution to SC's development.
I agree completely. Both are integral and contribute to what is the series' identity.
Speaking of SCVI's music, you know what would be cool?
If they brought on guest musicians again like they did on SCV, but got Hitoshi Sakimoto and Keiichi Okabe to do some music for it.

Before you ask, no, I do not know anything in regards to that. I am speaking candidly.

Well, to be fair Sophitia is looking pretty sexy in that concept but I see what you're saying. I don't think Hoshino has much in the way of "standards" if he was willing to hire a hentai artist to design costume sets, not to mention he gave Mari Shimazaki a very different direction compared to what Daishi gave her. We'll see if they still have Kawano, because I still think his designs are crucial to SC. While not all of his designs were the most "logical", a lot of them are still a part of what gave SC its identity.
I might not interpret what SC's identity is through that artist the same way, but I think SC kind of lacks consistency now in how the characters are aesthetically represented after SCIII and thus why you have designs in IV like Talim's (ugly) cat-costume or whatever Ivy was supposed to be in it (both costumes were questionable), or why Yun-Seung looked more like a Caribbean pirate than he did a Korean warrior. None of the outfits in SCIV really made any sense because of that. Right now I don't know if SC really has a visual identity because it doesn't feel grounded anymore, unlike Tekken's character designs.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been answered Vergeben, but do you know if they brought back just guards or meter guard impacts? Since theres supers, I'm curious in knowing if guard impacts still require meter. Also, as far as you know, does it seem likely that Raphael or Cervantes will be returning?

And...since Xianghua is coming back, does that mean Leixia has been locked inside the castle never to see the light of day again?

Last edited:
I might not interpret what SC's identity is through that artist the same way, but I think SC kind of lacks consistency now in how the characters are aesthetically represented after SCIII and thus why you have designs in IV like Talim's (ugly) cat-costume or whatever Ivy was supposed to be in it (both costumes were questionable), or why Yun-Seung looked more like a Caribbean pirate than he did a Korean warrior. None of the outfits in SCIV really made any sense because of that. Poor direction. Right now I don't know if SC really has a visual identity because it doesn't feel grounded anymore, unlike Tekken's character designs.
It's not Kawano's fault as he isn't the only character designer, but the main artist, so they have him draw other artist's designs in finalization. So even though he does a lot of the primary artwork, he doesn't do everything.
Also, the series kinda started to go more in an anime-like direction since III, whether you want to believe it or not. There were people were pink hair on that game ffs. XD

Sorry if this has already been answered Vergeben, but do you know if they brought back just guards or meter guard impacts? Since theres supers, I'm curious in knowing if guard impacts still require meter. Also, as far as you know, does it seem likely that Raphael or Cervantes will be returning?
Not details for any of those yet. But once I know something definite, I will share.
I personally hope they bring back Just Guard and meterless Guard Impacts.

Nothing on either of them right now, but I don't know about too many characters atm anyway, so I wouldn't worry about either yet.

It's not Kawano's fault as he isn't the only character designer, but the main artist, so they have him draw other artist's designs in finalization. So even though he does a lot of the primary artwork, he doesn't do everything.
Also, the series kinda started to go more in an anime-like direction since III, whether you want to believe it or not. There were people were pink hair on that game ffs. XD
Well I can't say who does what to be honest but I do know the direction of how the characters are conceptualized is the directional problem. Sophita & Kilik's designs from PR seem to have that perfect balance of mythological, cultural fantasy while still grounded in their motifs. I can still tell Sophitia is a greek themed warrior even if its not realistic. That is what should just be identifiable.

I hope Sacred City is an actual stage. It'd be interesting to have a heavenly plane that could have important ties to the lore by establishing alternate worlds. If this is like the SC version of heaven, maybe that's where Sophitia went before coming back to life? We'll see.

I might not interpret what SC's identity is through that artist the same way, but I think SC kind of lacks consistency now in how the characters are aesthetically represented after SCIII and thus why you have designs in IV like Talim's (ugly) cat-costume or whatever Ivy was supposed to be in it (both costumes were questionable), or why Yun-Seung looked more like a Caribbean pirate than he did a Korean warrior. None of the outfits in SCIV really made any sense because of that. Right now I don't know if SC really has a visual identity because it doesn't feel grounded anymore, unlike Tekken's character designs.
to me SC's visual identity has always been strong with their official arts, it's just that 4 and 5's 3D interpretation were wonky. particularly when they try to emulate giant anime eyes on those 3D models. yeesh. I used to think namco funneled all their most talented 3D artists to tekken and SC got the leftovers, but Tekken's art style has been in slight decline as well since Tag2 IMO.

Well, for what i can say I believe everything you've said so far. Namco never really actually forgot about the soul series. Despite what others would say, they do follow a trend. SC4 was released in 2008 with support continuing some time after (costume DLC), and a year later they released broken destiny to add on to SC4's design. Roughly a year and a half later soul calibur V was announced then released in 2012. About a year later lost swords was trademarked, then the game was unveiled in Sept 2013. Lost swords released in 2014, giving soul fans a chance at what taki, cassandra, sophitia etc would feel like had they been in SCV (it could be seen as the broken destiny of SCV in some weird way). Lost swords didn't stop support until Nov 2015. By this trend SCIV should have been announced last year, but Vergeben explains why that didn't happen. So it would make sense that they worked everything out this time around.

Then there comes the whole website coming down. It wouldn't make sense for them to just drop the site when the pachislots were just released this year. And that poll....There is a bit of a trend here.... and these rumors sound more real than fake. So for the first time since 2014, I will hold some hope for a new game. And if it doesn't come, well then... sigh.

Marcus confirmed a new Tales Of.
And He also 100% confirmed Soul Calibur 6.

And... Tales of Versperia R is not a "New" Tales Of btw.
Oh ok, so since the guy on Twitter wanted ToVR and SCVI, the guy said 50% because it's a NEW Tales of game and NOT ToVR?

Idk why you guys are so stuck on hentai artists doing work on costumes. One of Bamco's best fighting game designs (Asuka's P3 in Tekken 5) was done by a hentai artist (Ogure, or Oh Great!). It's the direction of the art that matters most, not necessarily who does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back