Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general I pick characters based on how they play and generally want that particular function.

So if I were to play Talim it's because of her moveset rather than any notional attraction to the character. (Possibly to make Greatone happy since he loves Talim like a daughter.)

I don't know yet, maybe in 2 or 3 weeks (15january) Namco will talk me later after the new year to arrange the date.

I have to do a review for the community/players, so if you have some precise question and testing I can do tell me.
@Hayate

Thanks for allowing us to get some questions in before you go. Here are mine after reviewing the footage:
  • How are the frames generally on hit and block?
  • Are there any other uses for meter during the test or any planned in the future?
  • What are the requirements to trigger lethal hits?
  • Are there still stun combos in the game (as run counter, hit counter, as a follow-up to lethal hits, or in soul charge)?
  • Are there methods to disable an opponent's Air Control, using any of the methods above or otherwise?
  • How many options are there during the Reverse Edge slow motion and does timing have any effect on the outcome?
  • What kind of options do we get during Soul Charge? Does it confer an automatic counter hit state for and/or against?
  • Does GI still work on all levels and throw? If it does, can you convince them that this is a terrible idea?
I'm not going to bother asking about mode or character questions. I think the system questions are the most important *and* the only things they'll really be able to answer.

Last edited:
Wanna throw in a thought i had.
I saw people complaining about combos in SC5.

1. What do you guys think in about it? And should it be taken into SC6?
We already saw Mitsurugi in Soul Charge performing a cool combo with a Just Input.
But we don't know if it was due to Soul Charge or just a combo.

But it gets my hopes high for ...
2. I love mindgames in fighters and think this is the main part of the "skill" to show of in fighters.
But also i love combos (to a certain extend)
My "ideal" combo system for Soul Calibur looks like this (in a very raw/simple form)
  • 1-2 (maybe 3 depending on the dmg of the combo) -> Normal Combo
  • 3-4 (or 4-5 depending on the dmg) -> Just Input part of the Combos
  • A combo finisher by using up some Meter
More combostrings are to much (IMO) because after a while the opponent gets tired of it.
Best example Viola, Astaroth in SC5
But what i wanna say, i thinks combos are meanwhile an important part of fighters and if it is done rightly (the combo system) a great "skill idicator" show of .... thing ... you know what i mean xDD

What are your opinions and experiences ?

@Hayate

Here is a few other things if you get a opportunity to try. -

Confident it's probably gone but try see if JG or maybe a just impact like sc4 is possible.

Test the speed of CE from Rugi, Soph and anyone else you may have access to so we can see how fast they are as a punish and if they is a pattern.

See if throw breaking works same as SC5 where you can mash to tech while blocking.

Test to confirm if break attacks can be RE/GI'd or not.

Thanks again :)

Wanna throw in a thought i had.
I saw people complaining about combos in SC5.

1. What do you guys think in about it? And should it be taken into SC6?
We already saw Mitsurugi in Soul Charge performing a cool combo with a Just Input.
But we don't know if it was due to Soul Charge or just a combo.

But it gets my hopes high for ...
2. I love mindgames in fighters and think this is the main part of the "skill" to show of in fighters.
But also i love combos (to a certain extend)
My "ideal" combo system for Soul Calibur looks like this (in a very raw/simple form)
  • 1-2 (maybe 3 depending on the dmg of the combo) -> Normal Combo
  • 3-4 (or 4-5 depending on the dmg) -> Just Input part of the Combos
  • A combo finisher by using up some Meter
More combostrings are to much (IMO) because after a while the opponent gets tired of it.
Best example Viola, Astaroth in SC5
But what i wanna say, i thinks combos are meanwhile an important part of fighters and if it is done rightly (the combo system) a great "skill idicator" show of .... thing ... you know what i mean xDD

What are your opinions and experiences ?
My approach is that all hits in a combo must be there for a reason, or as many as possible at least. So, a variety of ways to end a combo creates a decision the recipient has to react to, different follow-ups depending on how the first attack landed means there's more to respond to that just whether something hit or not, etc. Nothing that is only there to extend the combo and nothing more.
SCV isn't bad, but Viola AAB and Astaroth 22K are some examples of completely unnecessary extending, and those combos can get really boring to watch as a result.

I used to like UMVC3, but after a while I realised I spent more time regurgitating muscle memory and sat watching combos happen to me than actually fighting.

He only killed innocents, because Graf Dumas said they were malfested, and because he is an idiot, he followed the orders blindly. And yes, Pyrrha had a fiance, it was stated somewhere else by Project Soul.
Yup. He outright said he thought a guy was malfested because he was pale and filthy (poor), when the malfested were clearly people with mutated red-limbs, auras and actually seen killing people. He didn't even know what he was looking for yet was killing people off of his own prejudices. Siegfried who did the same and had to live with it. He didn't. Siegfried did it better. Accepted his father's death and never got it "fixed" just for whining about his self-proclaimed importance to their society. Pyrrha definitely had more justification but no real character at all.

Last edited:
The thing with combos in SCV, just checking people with 2A, 2K,2B etc in a row adds up really fast so you can pretty much play either way.

I do tend to find being caught in extended combos extremely frustrating though. I hate just watching with no options. Like back when Air Control wouldn't randomly turn off for certain moves.

Some questions I have.

#1 Can you tell us any more about reversal edge? As it is a key new component of the game.
#2 Regarding armor destruction, are all pieces of armor able to be destroyed or a select few? What determines this?
#3 Although I know you will tell us more about characters as you can, are you planning on having more than 20 characters on initial release?
#4 Are any of your stages going to be dynamic? Changing as the battle goes on?

Didn't every female character that got into that F2P game got over-sexualized just to sell more loot boxes or whatever it was in that game, sure it was disgusting and all, but hey, I don't really care, and you shouldn't either as long as all the money they got from that game went in the budget of SC6 (and I hope they got a lot of it :p) that game cost nothing to make, they just reused a lot of stuff from SC4 and 5. But it seems like he deleted it for some reason xD Probably a good thing because people were spamming him or something.
Its not that I particularly irate about this being a factor, I was just being honest about what as being talked about. Its why it is an elephant in the room. If PS sexualizes the characters intentionally (Ivy) or unintentionally (Talim), then its really just for the players to ingest. With CaS people can already strip characters down and put them in thongs and low-raise bikinis, but I do think marketing this as the focused way to view the characters is unnecessary. The fanbase doing it themselves after they get the game is just the inevitable exploitation of what they are given and another thing in itself. I still think though they should grow Amy a bit out of that sole appeal, but then again I don't know what her Japanese fans think of it that is her charm to people overall.

With Cas though, they should take what they give us more seriously. SCIV was the stable line, but LS is where it just fell apart.

Last edited:
The thing with combos in SCV, just checking people with 2A, 2K,2B etc in a row adds up really fast so you can pretty much play either way.

I do tend to find being caught in extended combos extremely frustrating though. I hate just watching with no options. Like back when Air Control wouldn't randomly turn off for certain moves.
I don't think this is gonna be removed, though. Every fighting game nowadays is using long combos, even Tekken, and while there are different teams working on each, its only natural that SC will evolve into that as well. Besides, I think games without many combos are quite boring: you manage to get an opening for... one or two attacks, its slow and not rewarding.

maxresdefault.jpg

Merry Christmas!

@Hayate if you can ask them if they any plans for a beta for the game.

Am I the only person that thinks that next character reveal is going to be Kilik and his rival

So far a few of them end in AS, which while not safe can lead to some interesting mix ups, specially if you can go from AS to TAS after the string.
That's the thing. From what is being shown right now, there are no mixups. Not with GI covering all levels and the way RE seems to work. This will be even more prevalent with strings that lead into stance transitions. You have to understand these Lost Swords strings don't jail so if you let loose you're possibly setting yourself up to get that shit bounced back at you.

I don't know yet, maybe in 2 or 3 weeks (15january) Namco will talk me later after the new year to arrange the date.

I have to do a review for the community/players, so if you have some precise question and testing I can do tell me.

@Hayate

I only have one question, and unlike others it has nothing to do with gameplay or characters:

- Can we expect a large improvement in visuals before the game's release? Frankly, I wasn't impressed with what I saw, backgrounds looked dull, and some aspects in Character models looked like a step down from SCV. (like the hair, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back