Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably gonna post a lot of creation related thoughts here, so bear with me... If some of you looked into mah lil' creation thread, I discovered a cool way to use oversized stickers to make an illusion of new clothes. And I had a thought. There's a lot of different materials and surfaces in SCV, they can be matte, shiny, metal, cloth, a lot of stuff. And different colors look different on different surfaces, like 7,14 that I use all the time. On some materials it looks like gold, on some it looks like bronze, and on some it just looks disgusting. And I noticed some of the stickers can change the surface type, so it looks like a different material. So I had a thought, it would be awesome if we were able to change the material/surface type of equipment. Of course that's not gonna happen, but hey, it's just a thought...

Another thing that would be useful - being able to choose equipment for each arm and leg seperately. I recently did a creation of Auron from Final Fantasy X, and in FFX he has one sleeve loose, and the other one tight, which I obviously can't do in creation. So they could do something like that.

I'm probably gonna post a lot of creation related thoughts here, so bear with me... If some of you looked into mah lil' creation thread, I discovered a cool way to use oversized stickers to make an illusion of new clothes. And I had a thought. There's a lot of different materials and surfaces in SCV, they can be matte, shiny, metal, cloth, a lot of stuff. And different colors look different on different surfaces, like 7,14 that I use all the time. On some materials it looks like gold, on some it looks like bronze, and on some it just looks disgusting. And I noticed some of the stickers can change the surface type, so it looks like a different material. So I had a thought, it would be awesome if we were able to change the material/surface type of equipment. Of course that's not gonna happen, but hey, it's just a thought...

I've only ever seen free-form material-type changing in ModNation Racers. More games with customization ought to use it. It'd give lots of equipment pieces new use.

And I agree with the asymmetrical arm/leg customization too. I've wanted that for a while. I know Champions Online has that (and much more, though of middling model/texture quality), but I can't think of many other examples.

Raphael is done with Soul Edge after SCV. If he was doing anything it'd be looking for Amy.

ae5a3d9f74dc20749c69339df83372d8.png

"Graf Dumas" is gone and Raph is really in no place to be a villain, or at least not a main antagonist.

The only thing that puzzles me is both Raphael and Nightmare have a special winning pose towards Viola. One can't help but to wonder could Graf Dumas be a "clone" of Raphael? Nonetheless, I personally like to see Raphael as Nightmare. That would be a treat.

Tired of big swords and sword and shields clashing as Soul Calibur and Soul Edge storywise. The Soul Calibur for Alpha Patroklos was a breath of fresh air at least.

Raph's story and personality turned stale after SCII. He really needs something new added besides the whole I got no life besides looking after my daughter who may be in love with a werewolf blah blah.

Everything about SC series in story kind of went stale. Time and time again, it'd be interesting to see the backstory of Hilde or even Mitsurugi. I'm already over the fact everyone has a reason to why they matter in the series. Stuff like one trying to rebuild her kingdom or something generic as being the best fighter would be nice to look at. I can only hope that they get more time to at least elaborate a bit next installment.

Last edited:
...And I agree with the asymmetrical arm/leg customization too...
^that

The only thing that puzzles me is both Raphael and Nightmare have a special winning pose towards Viola. One can't help but to wonder could Graf Dumas be a "clone" of Raphael? Nonetheless, I personally like to see Raphael as Nightmare. That would be a treat...
Gosh, and I also wonder about why Raphael says what he says to or his association against Voldo when he defeats him.
Nightmare and Raphael had fooled me to believe something as half-baked as the two being related or being flat-out twin brothers. I mean hint: Leixia was announced in to be in Soul Calibur V before release (irrelevant), but Raphael and Nightmare were also announced at the same time (at least more relevant than the former).

Oh... to see Raphael as Nightmare as a treat?... Hey! Weren't the two characters (direct) adversaries in SCII? Raphael wanted a piece of somethin' from Nighty.

Another little thing that would be cool to see back - fully rendered models of your character on the character select screen. After SCII, SCIII and SCIV had that, SCV had just those lame cards? I mean, it's not a big thing, and full models take some time to load, but it still looks better than those damn cards.

Another little thing that would be cool to see back - fully rendered models of your character on the character select screen. After SCII, SCIII and SCIV had that, SCV had just those lame cards? I mean, it's not a big thing, and full models take some time to load, but it still looks better than those damn cards.
Sc card game foreshadowing lolol

I said it's not a big deal.... And the models always load fast for me, since I have a HDD in my PS2 and an SSD in my PS3.

I didn't mind the cards at all, actually. You can design them anyway you want and they could act as profile pictures. The cards can even add characterization to the character they belong to. What they should do is keep them, but still have the character model behind it, after it's been selected.

Well, yeah, SCV actually handles the cars quite well, since there's so many ways to customize them. I realize I don't talk about good things in SCV often, but now this made me realize that the player licences are really cool. So I hope they keep them in SCVI.

Another few things I can't believe I forgot to mention :

-Guard Impacts - I seriously want proper guard impacts back. I used them so much in SCII and SCIV, Why did they make it so dumb in SCV? GI is quite useless in SCV in my opinion, because the half of the meter that it uses up is much better spent for Brave Edge imo.

-Brave Edge - I know @Soul would agree about the GI, but why not BE? BE is pretty much the only thing I use the meter for. I never GI with it, and I almost never use CE, unless I have my meter on 2 and I'm sure it'll hit (beginners/AI/air), so why would BE be a bad idea? There are some characters I don't use it with, but with Sieg for example I use it all the time. But, what do I know, I'm no pro....

-"Mimics" or as I call them "Random style characters" - I know you people don't like them, and tbh, I only ever liked Elysium and Edge Master. (inferno in SCI - cool to be selectable, but boring, Edge master was better, Charade in SCII - Boooriiing, Olcadan in SCIII - Boooriiing, and Kilik in SCV? It would've been better if they gave him his true style and trash Xiba, imo). I think one mimic character in SCVI would be fine, but that only when I assume that it'll have a bigger roster than SCV ( I know, I know.... Programming, balance, movesets, time, money, everything...., but I do hope....). And the only acceptable option for me would be Edge Master. Ofcourse I'd LOVE Elysium back, but that's impossible. (and I must be the only fan of Elysium on this effing planet)

-Guard Impacts - I seriously want proper guard impacts back. I used them so much in SCII and SCIV, Why did they make it so dumb in SCV? GI is quite useless in SCV in my opinion, because the half of the meter that it uses up is much better spent for Brave Edge imo.
GI in SCV isn't as bad as you think. It may cost meter, but covers all areas so you won't have to guess where your opponent will strike. It pretty much guarantees damage, provided your opponent doesn't have the meter to GI back, you are quick to attack, and your chosen attack is no slower than 27 frames.

GI in SCV isn't as bad as you think. It may cost meter, but covers all areas so you won't have to guess where your opponent will strike. It pretty much guarantees damage, provided your opponent doesn't have the meter to GI back, you are quick to attack, and your chosen attack is no slower than 27 frames.
Well yes, but the GI in older SC games was still better, you didn't need any damn meter. Also in SCIV you have two types of GI.

Olcadan was the best. Hwaaaahhh!

I'd prefer he had his own style if he ever came back though. Maybe a bit of Grieve Edge (talon feet) mixed with more punches. A hand-to-hand style that isn't ripped from Tekken.

Uh, sorry @Ryuhza ....

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know well about Just Guards in SCV. But I think the Guard impacts in older games are better. JG requires a lot of precision and perfect timing, and since I have the reflexes of a statue and apalling timing, I'm never able to pull it off. I can do Guard Impacts fine, since you can do it slightly before the attack lands, not exactly when it hits, like with JG. And yes, I know, I know you can jg unblockables, but you also can attack the enemy, sidestep, backstep, jump? ...C'mon, the old GIs were better...

Uh, sorry @Ryuhza ....

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know well about Just Guards in SCV. But I think the Guard impacts in older games are better. JG requires a lot of precision and perfect timing, and since I have the reflexes of a statue and apalling timing, I'm never able to pull it off. I can do Guard Impacts fine, since you can do it slightly before the attack lands, not exactly when it hits, like with JG. And yes, I know, I know you can jg unblockables, but you also can attack the enemy, sidestep, backstep, jump? ...C'mon, the old GIs were better...
You think the old GI is better because you can't do JG. That's like saying Viola is bad because you can't do her combos. So no, it's not better. It's easier at first, perhaps, but certainly not better. With JG, you are usually guaranteed a punish on moves that are normally not punishable. Plus, once you get it down, it's stupid easy to do.

Pre-SCV GI is nowhere near as good as it is now. Even though it costs meter, due to the bigger window, you can get a lot more damage for making a correct read, and you don't have to guess what type of attack it'll be. It's better now than it was before. Your nostalgia just tells you otherwise.

Also, I'm pretty sure no one ever used parries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back