Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would prefer to avoid a big cinematic story as I feel most casual players would likely play it once and then possibly just drop the game. Soul Calibur 3's Tales of Souls kept me coming back because I enjoyed the format of picking a character and experiencing their story for the game while also picking what paths to go down (possibly even uncovering Night Terror, which blew me away the first time I encountered him instead of the usual ending you got). If we must have a story focused game I'd prefer having individual stories for each character. It's a much better format for a fighting game in my opinion because to me fighting games are very character driven experiences. Why do we need some big save the world event that focuses on a handful of characters (the "main characters") driven by an end of the world situation, when you we could get more out of character driven experience. Having smaller character focused stories for each group of characters would be a much more interesting experience in my opinion, and it would give you good insight on each character's personality and what drives them forward in the setting. Plus having branching paths to explore would add to replayability and keep people coming back. I mean... smaller text based stories could have the potential of requiring less resources for development too right? I don't fully know the costs behind developing this stuff so what I'm saying may not be the best, but I imagine cinematic stories requiring a lot of resources to add in right?

It's actually a problem I have with the Dynasty Warriors series. Having the faction focused stories lets us develop faction leaders yes, but then we get all these new characters who have almost zero character because of how little they appear or do in the story. Yeah they're fun to play (which is good enough for me personally) but certain characters just lack any personality out of a small archetype they fit into, such as Zhu Ran being "The Fire Attack Guy", or Huang Zhong being "The Old Guy" because whenever you meet him in battle he has to go on about his age.

I hope that made enough sense lol... sorry I'm not the best at conveying my thoughts, it's why I typically prefer to lurk : p Also sorry for that turning into a wall of text. I tend to ramble way too much when I want to express an opinion...

If we banned every poster that made contributions we didn't like, there'd be a lot less people allowed to post. We don't silence people for being disagreeable.
What about those that make no contribution at all? Besides, as far as I know, banning isn't your only option.

I would prefer to avoid a big cinematic story as I feel most casual players would likely play it once and then possibly just drop the game. Soul Calibur 3's Tales of Souls kept me coming back because I enjoyed the format of picking a character and experiencing their story for the game while also picking what paths to go down (possibly even uncovering Night Terror, which blew me away the first time I encountered him instead of the usual ending you got). If we must have a story focused game I'd prefer having individual stories for each character. It's a much better format for a fighting game in my opinion because to me fighting games are very character driven experiences. Why do we need some big save the world event that focuses on a handful of characters (the "main characters") driven by an end of the world situation, when you we could get more out of character driven experience. Having smaller character focused stories for each group of characters would be a much more interesting experience in my opinion, and it would give you good insight on each character's personality and what drives them forward in the setting. Plus having branching paths to explore would add to replayability and keep people coming back. I mean... smaller text based stories could have the potential of requiring less resources for development too right? I don't fully know the costs behind developing this stuff so what I'm saying may not be the best, but I imagine cinematic stories requiring a lot of resources to add in right?

This is one of the reasons I was in love with Soul Calibur 3. You had so many personal stories to go through, so many paths to choose, and in all honestly, even though some elements of it were still repetitive, it just felt fresh in a way. And those alternative endings you could choose were a nice touch as well.

It's actually a problem I have with the Dynasty Warriors series. Having the faction focused stories lets us develop faction leaders yes, but then we get all these new characters who have almost zero character because of how little they appear or do in the story. Yeah they're fun to play (which is good enough for me personally) but certain characters just lack any personality out of a small archetype they fit into, such as Zhu Ran being "The Fire Attack Guy", or Huang Zhong being "The Old Guy" because whenever you meet him in battle he has to go on about his age.

I hope that made enough sense lol... sorry I'm not the best at conveying my thoughts, it's why I typically prefer to lurk : p Also sorry for that turning into a wall of text. I tend to ramble way too much when I want to express an opinion...
As I said before, I'd prefer knowing the full story than having a vague idea of it that I have to read the wiki to get a grasp of and wait for the sequel to confirm what was canon. Mortal Kombat 9 kind of revolutionized the concept of a story in fighting games, and now it seems like everyone is trying to do it. Though, you can have both, because MK and Injustice have story mode and arcade endings, just others are too lazy to do it apparently.

Any data based on usage, especially tournament usage, is heavily influenced by how the character performs. There's a lot of Natsu online because she's easy to pick up and win with against other new players, not because they necessarily like her, especially if you factor CaS into the equation.

Any character can be made top tier, but not every character can be made a fan favourite.

There's easier characters than Natsu to pick up and win with, there's several character in the game that are better than Natsu, and if someone was only concerned with winning, then they would pick Viola. Now that we're almost 6 years removed from SCV, people have to nitpick every single part of the game until we can pick apart SC6.

People don't stick with this game for years just to play a character they don't like. SC players either play who they love or not play the game completely. Taki is just as much as a weeb character as Natsu is.

We also seen what happened with Tekken Tag 2 when people begged to add all these "fan favorites" that they still didn't use. Gameplay is more important in the long run.

@Malice I see you are a Juri guy, too. A man of culture, I see.

thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

Of course.

Agreed completely. The thing that holds SC is its direction and how extremely gimmicky the marketing has gotten. They need to do more to actually deepen the characters that they have, because as fast as they were to try and retire the old ones, most of them don't even have a coherent story for us to summarize off the top of our heads. I could just have bad memory but I don't feel like most of the characters have any depth representing them at all. The heavier marketing for dressing them up makes them feel no more important than just CAS parts.

This series has been looking for the new gimmick with the past several games instead of sticking to a solid foundation. Looks like they tried to do the same with SC6 and it didn't work well if the leaks are accurate.

I'm also hoping that they don't go down this route. We saw how bad SCV's story turned out, and Tekken 7's story has no replay value. The single player in Soul Blade, SC1, and SC3 offered more replay value which is what the game needs on the casual side.

I'd rather see the resources go towards each character's story since I have no clue how much resources are going to be devoted to producing this game or how much focus story mode is actually being given.

There's easier characters than Natsu to pick up and win with, there's several character in the game that are better than Natsu, and if someone was only concerned with winning, then they would pick Viola.
I think you're drastically overestimating the majority of online players of you think they can just pick up Viola without any effort.
I didn't say Natsu was the easiest, most used, or anything like that. I said she was easy, 0 hyperbole.

All I'm saying is that usage is a flawed measure of a character's popularity. And again, especially so in your tournament example.

I'm not telling people everything that I even know, and I'm only saying what they have given me the clearance to say. I don't know everything about it either, so things will be surprises to me, too.

If anything, I'm helping them indirectly. I've helped bring the community back together in preparation for the announcement and be able to talk about their passion for the series again. One that a lot have all but given up hope on.
Raph cofirmed.

Ooooo, I'm very excited if this is all true. The soul still burns after the sheer time and effort I put into 5.

I just hope the single player elements are on point. I always preferred playing lots of characters so it will be less boring to actually be doing something whilst learning them.

The most fun I've had in this game is during real life meet ups. Better single player content gets people to play long enough to get decent. Decent play leads them online, and online leads to actual tournaments. These lead to viewership, which leads to more sales and a bigger player base.

In the end having just great competitive play, like SC5, is NOT enough.

The slow mo was an amazing feature for T7. Can you tell me more about the whiffing issues in SC though? In T7 there's a lot of times where a character would go under a mid, especially if Xiaoyu is involved. A lot of these whiffs end up feeling like BS.

Where does SC stand in that regard?

The slow mo was an amazing feature for T7. Can you tell me more about the whiffing issues in SC though? In T7 there's a lot of times where a character would go under a mid, especially if Xiaoyu is involved. A lot of these whiffs end up feeling like BS.

Where does SC stand in that regard?
SCV had some super strict axis issues. Also goofy stuff like Pat's BB just whiffing on Siegfried.

As cool as T7's slowmo is, it would make SC effectively run in slow motion for the rest of the round as soon as either player hits 20% health due to all the movement.

It would be awesome if this new mechanic of swichting stances/weapons would give a character some sort of soul companion like Ivy - Snake, Siegfried - Eagle, Cervantes - Kraken, Kilik - Phoenix, Voldo - Spider, Mitsurugi - Tiger, Hilde - Griffin etc. What do you think of it?
Wouldn't have a problem with it if it were more metaphorical or moifs or symbolism like Maxi's Dragon emphasis in his critical attack, or Kilik's Pheonix feathers in his, (or how Juri is about Spiders in her own) but I wouldn't want them to be personified as actual entities or calls for magic powers like EIN. I do think those motifs can help the characters stand out as we can associate them to those figures kind of like a Zodiac thing, but thats as far as I'd take it.

Regarding visual polish:

SC4 had camera angle changes on certain character's signature high-impact attacks such as Astaroth landing a 28B+G air grab.
I wondered why they took that away from SC5. I mean if this feature was only for just-guard inputs or or random "clean hit" that would add some aethestic points.

Secondly I liked how attacks have a special exaggerated whiff animation (like Taki/Natsu's whiffed PO B) that is different from having the attack land/blocked. I'm sure that certain attacks have extended whiff animations that just recover slower (with the same animation but just played out longer), but PO B has a completely different follow-through whiff animation.

On a side note SC's Facebook page has been losing followers on the daily, probably lost several thousand since last year. I wonder if they'll get them all back with SCVI's announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back