Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okaaayy .. aha so I'll try my best , so here we go :

"We have to keep in mind that SC6's development is far from being done and that the team in charge of it's gestation - leaded by director Yoshiyuki Takahashi and producer Motohiro Okubo -still working on Tekken 7- still keeps surprises. The number of playable characters (the number of empty slots around Mitsurugi and Sophitia wasn't representative according Bandai Namco), character creation's possibilities and customization, the story mode or online options are still in construction until next order".
Thank god, the hype has return.

Did you guys ever own the Futurepress SCV guidebook? That thing was god damned amazing.

Frame data, hit properties, backstory, art, it was the best gaming supplement to ever grace the cfighting game market.

I really hope that they’re on board again this go around for Soul Calibur VI.

I plan on buying it and checking it out since you said it was amazing. I definitely want to up my SoulCalibur skills and it seems this book (albeit outdated) could still prove useful.

That's the first time I've heard of the director for the game. I can't find anything meaningful on mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=Yoshiyuki+Takahashi - There are a lot of developers with that name, and none of them have worked for Namco. Looks like they gave completely new guys the chance to lead SC6 development.

And hearing the line about about the character roster is hopeful, though I doubt an artist chose an arbitrary number when designing that UI.

Did you miss a "not" in there? That sentence looks like a contradiction.
English isn't my first language, so sometimes I word things a little strangely, but to reword it much better:
20 characters is not absolutely going to be the launch roster number from what I hear. I was told to not look too far into it, and to tell others that, as the only way it would actually only be 20 is if they intentionally withhold characters they have done, which is apparently already a plan of theirs, they heard.
But they don't see them holding back such an amount to shoot themselves in the foot and do.
They told me that the roster won't be 30+, but will most likely have more characters than SCV though. It had 27, 28 if you count Dampierre (who was DLC, so he might not be being counted).
So it's sounding like barring any corporate greed rearing its ugly head in the worst way, the roster should be 28 or 29 characters.
But I'm a jaded pessimist when it comes to these things, so don't blame me if it doesn't wind up being the case. I'd rather you set your expectations closer to 20 (not under, but over) as opposed to closer to 30, and obviously not exceeding 30.

I thought I knew who it was, but now I'm not 100% sure. My first thought was Kate Higgins (Sakura from Naruto, Tina in DOA5) and I still think she kinda sounds like her, but at certain points she doesn't. But yeah I kinda miss her previous VA a bit too.
Mitsurugi also sounds kinda different but I'm not sure if he's being voiced by someone else.
Mitsurugi's new voice actor is Matthew Mercer. He's known for voicing Chrom, McCree, Leon, Levi, Jotaro, and Hit.

Last edited:
English isn't my first language, so sometimes I word things a little strangely, but to reword it much better:
20 characters is not absolutely going to be the launch roster number from what I hear. I was told to not look too far into it, and to tell others that, as the only way it would actually only be 20 is if they intentionally withhold characters they have done, which is apparently already a plan of theirs, they heard.
But they don't see them holding back such an amount to shoot themselves in the foot and do.
They told me that the roster won't be 30+, but will most likely have more characters than SCV though. It had 27, 28 if you count Dampierre (who was DLC, so he might not be being counted).
So it's sounding like barring any corporate greed rearing its ugly head in the worst way, the roster should be 28 or 29 characters.
But I'm a jaded pessimist when it comes to these things, so don't blame me if it doesn't wind up being the case. I'd rather you set your expectations closer to 20 (not under, but over) as opposed to closer to 30, and obviously not exceeding 30.

Mitsurugi's new voice actor is Matthew Mercer. He's known for voicing Chrom, McCree, Leon, Levi, Jotaro, and Hit.
Is there a specific reason they both got new voice actors? Jw. And could you tell us Sophie's VA? it's killing me haha

I think the best way to look at RE's right now are auto GI vertical attacks with 30+ frames of startup, no tracking, but are essentially unblockables that lead into something of a rock/paper/scissors scenario, so they don't guarantee any damage (unless the initial attack lands). I haven't been paying much attention to sophi, but mitsu has a ton of way to counter RE's, for example, any string that can transition into relic B will be a hard counter against a RE since relic B is both a sidestepping attack and a GB.
I am a bit worried about combos being even shorter than sc4 though, based off of mitsu who has lost his relic [A], mist 6, 11B[A], and the splat after his A+B6 (kicks you off his sword move), it would appear his combo potential has decreased from sc4. So, it is even more disappointing that soul charge is unlikely to be something we can combo into due to its stupid activation hitbox. I'm trying to figure out what exactly the developers are going for based off of what is different about this mitsu, and from what I can see, his combos will most likely be shorter than in sc4/5 and his low/mid mixup game has been nerfed (2KB and mist KB are no longer natural combos and he lost his low kick from relic), although he has a new low, unless it's safe on block, it's a downgrade from the traditional 2KB. Without knowing frame data I can't really say if they're going for a game that revolves more around frame traps and poking instead of 50/50's and big combos but it seems likely.

God i hope so. It would be pretty awesome if they when back to how it was in soulcalibure 2 with just high damage pokes and strings.

of course Matt Mercer has done voice work in like every video game in existence.

Not to beat a dead horse (kinda), but the wording is important in the article. They talk about PLAYABLE characters, not characters AT LAUNCH. So we might have 20 characters at launch and see more added as DLC.

Ok so now, when will we get the next batch of info about anything? :D

I still get goosebumps over the the TGA awards announcement trailer and the PSX trailer! Neeeeed a new trailer of a character reveal or two....or 3....or 4 lol.

In one of the recent game footage videos when we see Rugi do his A+B from sc4 and we see its a JF with A+B:B the little white flash I actually notice a very similar JF like flash from Rugi in the PSX trailer. It's in the first combo he showcases when activates soul charge it looks like the fourth hit in that combo was a JF.

A roster of around 29 characters would definitely be good. That would match the size of the SC4 roster.

Thinking about it, DLC characters seem like a given. Is there any fighting game released the last few years which hasn't released a bunch of characters as DLC? I can remember Harada said with TTT2 he wouldn't release any character as paid DLC, but he sure didn't have that line of thinking with Tekken 7.

And what you said in another post about companies deliberately holding back finished content in order to release it as DLC: that's Capcom in a nutshell. With many games they weren't even remotely subtle about it as the DLC would be on the disc.

Sophitia's new VA sounds like Erica Lindbeck (who, off the top of my head, has recently done Futaba Sakura in Persona 5 as well as Magilou from Tales of Berseria, aka a Namdai title). She's done a pretty good job so far of evoking young, but classic Sophitia, but I can't help but notice how similar she also sounds to how Laura Bailey did Pyrrha.

Ahhhh thanks guys, I asked cos I've seen the option was selectable in the demo.
Btw side question: do you think Snow: capped showdown (I flippin' love that stages have a sort of description) is gonna be Mitsurugi's stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back