Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved in SC2's weapon master mode the different stage effects like the slippy ice stage, sinking quick sand, lava stuns etc and I sooo badly wanted to be able to have those effects in normal VS matches with friends. I'm praying they do something like this again.

In regards to characters (I thought Kilik's rival's parent was gonna be a woman) I will be really sad if we have a male to female ratio like in SC1 or 2. There were (if I recall correctly, I'm not fact checking bc I'm lazy) just over double the amount of men than women. I remember not even being able to make a badass team battle full of women because there were only seven of them and the max was 8 characters.
I want the ratio to be like SC4 which was 16 women (inc bonus characters) to 17 men. However, I'm doubtful, because SCV had 9 women to 17 men. We already know characters like Viola and Hilde will probably be left out for DLC. Sorry for the rant but I just want my girls back okay?
giphy.gif

In regards to characters (I thought Kilik's rival's parent was gonna be a woman) I will be really sad if we have a male to female ratio like in SC1 or 2. There were (if I recall correctly, I'm not fact checking bc I'm lazy) just over double the amount of men than women. I remember not even being able to make a badass team battle full of women because there were only seven of them and the max was 8 characters.
I want the ratio to be like SC4 which was 16 women (inc bonus characters) to 17 men. However, I'm doubtful, because SCV had 9 women to 17 men. We already know characters like Viola and Hilde will probably be left out for DLC. Sorry for the rant but I just want my girls back okay? View attachment 47888
Kilik already has more women related to him than men, actually. His most notable connections are Xianglian (former love interest, whom he killed when he went mad), Xianghua (current love interest... I mean... travel companion) and Maxi (the bff guy). He doesn't have any other really important connections, so a male rival would balance things out for him. In regards to the roster, well, there will never be an equal number of male and female without it feeling forced, regardless of which side, there will always be a bunch of characters that will feel that they add nothing but being of a specific gender for balance. SC has lots of iconic women, though, and we're likely to be in a much better situation than MvC:I (30m/6f), Injustice 2 (30m, if you consider the TMNT as one/8f) or Dragon Ball FighterZ (only one female, maybe 2, if Android #21 is playable).

A more gender-balanced roster is always nice. There's enough characters in the series now that they should not find that a hard thing to do (though as you said, SCV did it poorly). I often play as females in fighting games because they have the 'fast acrobatic' style that I love in combat. The reason I play Kilik is because I love long hard sticks of wood... ... ok all 5 year old jokes aside I really love bo-staves and that fighting style in general. I blame Gabrielle from Xena: Warrior Princess for making it look cool. And then Kilik made it look awesome. When I played Dynasty Warriors Empires 6 and 7 I played Zhou Yu's style pretty religiously.

In fact, when I think about how many different fighting/weapon styles there was in Empires, it makes me crave that level of weapon choices in SC. I understand Edgelord is likely using a similar weapon to a DW character so who knows, maybe they'll take more inspiration from there.

I forgot Team Battle and such used to be a thing. It's sad when you realize just how much they've taken out of the games over the years :( Same thing with Stage Effects. Those would be pretty cool to see return. There's already a snowy stage that'd be perfect for the icy effect.

Speaking of Xianglian, it'd be interesting to see characters like her show up as Bonus Characters or something. Seeing her in Kilik's SCIV story mode just kinda made me wish she had been a 'real'(not custom) character. Same with Sieg's dad Frederick. I always found it impressive not only how awesome Character Creation itself is, but how they actually implimented it into the game itself, such as having Custom Characters as part of the story mode (be it a generic Gladiator or characters like Azola or... um.. Sholt...heim? Whatever...) and then Chronicles having nothing BUT Custom Characters that were actually pretty interesting (Luna and Mooncalf etc.) and then the hilarity of the stuff they'd put in Quick Match (coupled with surprises like Hwang, Li-Long, Greed, etc.). I always thought that was clever and I hope they do more of it.

Kilik already has more women related to him than men, actually. His most notable connections are Xianglian (former love interest, whom he killed when he went mad), Xianghua (current love interest... I mean... travel companion) and Maxi (the bff guy). He doesn't have any other really important connections, so a male rival would balance things out for him. In regards to the roster, well, there will never be an equal number of male and female without it feeling forced, regardless of which side, there will always be a bunch of characters that will feel that they add nothing but being of a specific gender for balance. SC has lots of iconic women, though, and we're likely to be in a much better situation than MvC:I (30m/6f), Injustice 2 (30m, if you consider the TMNT as one/8f) or Dragon Ball FighterZ (only one female, maybe 2, if Android #21 is playable).

I'm not asking for forced equal numbers, but extremely inbalanced ratios for no reason is just dumb to me especially when they don't even make enough girls to fill a team battle mode. Any character in the game save a few whose roles are gender locked like Mitsu being a samurai could have been women, Maxi coulda been a pirate lesbian called Maxine (LOL) and Astaroth could have been Astara. Not to mention Beserker and Assassin could have had female skins they're literally identityless and have no reason to be male locked. It just bugs me when the balance is so jarringly off and the only reason is because the creators decided this pirate seeking revenge and this noble hating vampire and this robin hood-type clan leader and these faceless extras MUST be male because.... reasons? At least with CAS I can make as many badass women as I like but it still would be nice to have at least 12 diverse equally as fleshed out female characters in a fighting game.

Edit : The male rival is fine and yes it would balance out Kilik's gendered relations but a female parent to his rival is of no confirmed relation to Kilik so far so it wouldn't even matter in that regard. As far as we know so far, they made his parent male because... reasons. Coulda been a woman and it coulda been great.

I really hope at one point PS and BN will found a way to talk more about the game frequently while give us some "whatever kind" of news, and not just "Here's your character reveal, ok see ya next month for the next character reveal", sure characters reveal are awesome and probably the most exciting reveals but having wholes of 30 days of pure silence is .... eeewwwwwwww

Last edited:
I'm not asking for forced equal numbers, but extremely inbalanced ratios for no reason is just dumb to me especially when they don't even make enough girls to fill a team battle mode. Any character in the game save a few whose roles are gender locked like Mitsu being a samurai could have been women, Maxi coulda been a pirate lesbian called Maxine (LOL) and Astaroth could have been Astara. Not to mention Beserker and Assassin could have had female skins they're literally identityless and have no reason to be male locked. It just bugs me when the balance is so jarringly off and the only reason is because the creators decided this pirate seeking revenge and this noble hating vampire and this robin hood-type clan leader and these faceless extras MUST be male because.... reasons? At least with CAS I can make as many badass women as I like but it still would be nice to have at least 12 diverse equally as fleshed out female characters in a fighting game.

Edit : The male rival is fine and yes it would balance out Kilik's gendered relations but a female parent to his rival is of no confirmed relation to Kilik so far so it wouldn't even matter in that regard. As far as we know so far, they made his parent male because... reasons. Coulda been a woman and it coulda been great.
You're also ignoring the historical setting. At those times, how many women would you actually seen as assassins, and, specially, berserksers? In the main roster, women are more prominent, but if we're going into the historical setting with nameless and faceless characters they're likely to be men. Even then, now that I think about it, we also see lots of women NPCs thoughout the series, SC3 had the Assassin, a Fu-Ma Ninja, a thief, a pirate captain (which also was old), as well as many CotS characters as females. SC4 also had Azola, Hilde's guards, Raphael's maids and Astaroth's guards all being female. Its not like we're really out of female fighters outside the playable roster as well. And regarding Kilik's rival, that can go both ways, it can be great being a male as well.

I really hope at one point PS and BN will found a way to talk more about the game frequently while give us some "whatever kind" news, andnot just "Here's your character reveal, see ya next month for the next character reveal", sure characters reveal are awesome and probably the most exciting reveals but having wholes of 30 days of pure silence is .... eeewwwwwwww
The perfect way would be reveal one character in the beginning of the month and then over hype him/her a lot and then in the 15 another character, also I don't know who who handles the Soul Calibur Twitter, but anyone would be doing a better job.

You're also ignoring the historical setting. At those times, how many women would you actually seen as assassins, and, specially, berserksers? In the main roster, women are more prominent, but if we're going into the historical setting with nameless and faceless characters they're likely to be men. Even then, now that I think about it, we also see lots of women NPCs thoughout the series, SC3 had the Assassin, a Fu-Ma Ninja, a thief, a pirate captain (which also was old), as well as many CotS characters as females. SC4 also had Azola, Hilde's guards, Raphael's maids and Astaroth's guards all being female. Its not like we're really out of female fighters outside the playable roster as well. And regarding Kilik's rival, that can go both ways, it can be great being a male as well.
I see no problem with putting close to an equal amount of female/male fighters. This is the same game that put a woman in floss and somehow it didnt fall off

I don't really understand the "historical setting" argument. This game couldn't be less historically accurate in most cases, so why strive for it with regards to female characters?

Oh please Mac you already know my stance on the historical accuracy of Soulcalibur you've even liked posts of mine where I talk about it when it suited your own argument so don't act as if anything is different now. It's a game, they can put as many women in it as they want as long as their roles arent culturally disrespectful. They just chose not to.

I praised SC4 for the amount of women and I wasn't talking about SC3's roster at all because I don't care about that game and SC6 isnt based on it. It's based on SC1 which is why I am talking about its original highly male biased roster.

Why taking historical settings as an argument while it's a video game which is not "realistic" ?

I see no problem with putting close to an equal amount of female/male fighters. This is the same game that put a woman in floss and somehow it didnt fall off
There is a problem when it doesn't happen spontaneously, you end up with poorly created characters, from either side, made just for the purpose of filling. Literally, filler characters.

I don't really understand the "historical setting" argument. This game couldn't be less historically accurate in most cases, so why strive for it with regards to female characters?
Oh please Mac you already know my stance on the historical accuracy of Soulcalibur you've even liked posts of mine where I talk about it when it suited your own argument so don't act as if anything is different now. It's a game, they can put as many women in it as they want as long as their roles arent culturally disrespectful. They just chose not to.

I praised SC4 for the amount of women and I wasn't talking about SC3's roster at all because I don't care about that game and SC6 isnt based on it. It's based on SC1 which is why I am talking about its original highly male biased roster.
Historical setting and main characters are different than one another. We know for sure that we are in a historical setting in what is supposed to be a representation of the real world, the only things that are fantastic are the events and the characters, so it makes sense that they're not absolutely accurate while the world itself around them is. Regardless, like I said, there are many representations of powerful females among the NPCs and main roster, and you, Ave, just admitted that you ignore part of them because you don't care about SC3, so am I truly the one changing mind to suit an argument? Even if the game isn't based on SC3, its not like SC6 will be a carbon copy of SC1, this is a reboot, after all.

There is a problem when it doesn't happen spontaneously, you end up with poorly created characters, from either side, made just for the purpose of filling. Literally, filler characters.

A character's gender is as spontaneous as a hiccup. It comes fast but has no reason to remain forever. Character backgrounds and styles are the main foundation of a good character not what does or does not dangle between their legs or whom they identify as. This argument is obselete.

Historical setting and main characters are different than one another. We know for sure that we are in a historical setting in what is supposed to be a representation of the real world, the only things that are fantastic are the events and the characters, so it makes sense that they're not absolutely accurate while the world itself around them is. Regardless, like I said, there are many representations of powerful females among the NPCs and main roster, and you, Ave, just admitted that you ignore part of them because you don't care about SC3, so am I truly the one changing mind to suit an argument?

I ignore SC3 because it was irrelevant to my argument. SC6 isn't based on it so why talk about it? I only talked about SC4 because it's what I wanted, SC5 because it was most recent and reverted back to old ways, and I only talked about SC2 because the roster problems remained in that game as well. I have no qualms with SC3's representation of women but it is neither the foundation of the new game nor a recent one so it has no business being a defense against the gender bias in Soulcalibur's playable roster. Despite us all knowing exactly when Soulcalibur takes place, that has no effect on the accuracy of the franchise considering it depicts wars against supernatural evils that didn't exist, factions and places that didn't exist, fashion and culture that didn't exist. Not to mention Darth Vader and Yoda were characters in SC4. The game doesn't care about the accuracy of the historical setting it replicates so it's no excuse to continually choose to exclude women from the game.

Last edited:
People who mention Yoda and Vader as counter-arguments to SC being at least partially historically accurate are almost bigger jokes than Vader and Yoda in SC themselves.

I loved in SC2's weapon master mode the different stage effects like the slippy ice stage, sinking quick sand, lava stuns etc and I sooo badly wanted to be able to have those effects in normal VS matches with friends. I'm praying they do something like this again.
They were in Extra Vs mode.

Honestly I don't see any reason for the developers to worry about gender parity. If the game just happens to have an equal or close to equal number of women in it that's fine, but the developers shouldn't force it. They would be limiting themselves creatively if they did that.

I thought the stages were but not the effects? I've used them on Extra VS but never slid off the ice stage like on weapon master mode lol.

I think to get the stage effects you have to push left or right when you have the stage highlighted.

Honestly I don't see any reason for the developers to worry about gender parity. If the game just happens to have an equal or close to equal number of women in it that's fine, but the developers shouldn't force it. They would be limiting themselves creatively if they did that.

Making new females or simply including female characters they've already made would be limiting themselves creatively? Did you even read what you just wrote? A character's gender is not a creative choice unless it's directly pertaining to their story like Mitsurugi's is as he is a samurai. And women are certainly not a hindrance to creativity. Just admit you're sexist and move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back