Soul Calibur Character Selection STudy RESULTS

JellySalmon

[08] Mercenary
Ok results of my Soul Calibur Character Selection Study 2008 are up! I tallied up a bunch of online matches and put up the results. Thanks for everyone that helped, sorry about the delay, took my editor a bit to give me the go ahead.

If everyone can do me a solid and digg it, that would be awesome. I just started writing and it would be cool to get some more page views to impress my editor. Thanks!

http://news.gotgame.com/soul-calibur-study-character-strategy/

PS: You guys are probably more pro than me, so if there are any harsh edits for strategy you want me to change, let me know and I'll edit it.

Haha, good stuff. Why not write mimi-guides for the top used characters, to give all those mashers who use them some actual insight?

Oh I see you credited me at the bottom, kudos!

Nice! I liked it.
And I play Setsuka. Seeing her at the very very very bottom of the list is exactly what I wanted to see.
Although it's somewhat surprising and rather sad that Rock is so high on the list... Maybe he's the number one character for those like me who prefer to play something different. We're all not so different, it would seem... Sad.

Haha, good stuff. Why not write mimi-guides for the top used characters, to give all those mashers who use them some actual insight?

Dude, they don't deserve a guide. :P

If anyone wanted to help write a mini guide for a bottom tier(in terms of popularity) character, let me know, just list some good moves and I'll write it up.

Well, I guess that'd explain why I've only ever ran into one other person that has used Seung Mina.

I'm suprised that more people don't use Xianghua. My understanding is that she took a hit from SC 3 (I never played it so I don't know), but from what I see from matches against her that she's still pretty good and can be tough to beat in the right hands.

I'm certainly surprised to see Taki so low. I remember seeing a lot of Taki noobs on Ranked who liked to spam :9::K::K::K: and her :B:+:K::B::B::B: ninja dive all day, only to either ring themselves out, or get stepped and promptly flattened.

I actually tried to keep a character encounter record, but I only counted Kiliks, Cervies and Yun-seongs (people liked to :6::B::B: CF spam). My highest record for one day was 22 Cervantes fights, 10 of which happened before lunchtime!

That is a surprising list... with rock being picked more than quite a few characters, and Amy being picked less than Raphael. Also i Would have expected Sophitia in the top 5, and Astaroth picked a lot less. Im not surprised Kilik is number 1, although i would have thought Cervantes would be closer to the #1 spot. Based on my personal experiences in 400+ ranked matches, and 800 + player games.

The top 3 however, seems accurate...

Which leads me to a new question:
Why on earth is Kilik so polular (amongst the newbie's). Sure, his moves are easy to pick up, but its not like they win the majority of games using him. Most Kilik users i meet have a ratio of 50% or less wins. By now, most players who do this game a lot block every obvious combo, and will beat him quite easy (I know i do).

Can someone here plz explain why a newb would pick Kilik?
Cervantes actually same story (except, they can have surprisingly high win ratio's, so probably not everyone knows how to counter teleport spamming). slightly harder to beat (for me) but still, he is a character that turns a smile on my face if they pick him (and wipe that same smile off if he turns out to know his moves, lol).
Sophitia and Mitsurugi seem so much noob friendly if you ask me?

I'm certainly surprised to see Taki so low.

That IS weird. I just noticed that. I must get quite a few Takis a session and they love their 9KKK move.

Now if we made a list up of different types of custom characters fought online, the number one spot would belong to underwear clad woman with max chest size.

I don't think all Kiliks are scrubs and newbies. He has some definite pluses going for him. Aside from some predictability issues, he's still quite a bit faster than Seung Mina and some of his mixups can be really fast and reach really far. So he can pressure pretty well too.

But really, I'm surprised Amy ranks so low too. It sometimes feels like I'm one of the few Amy regulars roaming the ranked games nowadays. And I've seen maybe two dedicated Setsuka users, ever, so that makes sense (I used to sorta-main with Setsuka in my newbie days too... can't tell why. I chose Setsuka a LOT in my first 300 games or so. Weird I know).

Also really weird seeing a top tier candidate like Cassandra not being used. She can be pretty fearsome and I'm always pretty scared of truly good Cassandra users than almost anyone else.

That's pretty good. I think half the people that use Kilik are noobs, 1/4 just move spam, and the other 1/4th are experienced with him. He's a fast character with easy moves with great range and a better choice than Seong Mi-Na. I figured that Mitsurugi would be 5th with the number of people who use Astaroth and Siegfried.

And I thought that Cassandra would be ranked higher and Lizardman ranked lower, but their encounters are still rare enough that if you use them, someone won't know how to block your attacks. I'm about to spend more time with Cassandra because she has some great attacks that are hard to block and can hit for ring outs.

And Amy and Setsuka users are on the rise, especially those who figure out how to do Amy's unblockable which is very fast and will hit if you are down and try to get up, or will be spammed to get a cheap win.

Nice work! I actually have very little inkling of what the general character selection is like because I'm pretty selective on who I play online (player matches only, 5 bars or kick... no reason to go into ranked when I've already got my 30 honors xD).

I'm a Kilik main, but I have no earthly idea why he's so popular. I'm pretty sure the reason I chose to main him (fighting people using giant swords with a stick is a hilarious idea!) does not hold for the majority of Kilik users you run into online. :P From random casual play (which online is basically the equivalent of) I barely remember running into other Kiliks in SC1 and SC2.

Maybe someone should start "who's your main character" polls on any SC forum, including casual ones like SCU and WIYS so we can figure out why the hell everyone picks Kilik.

Great article! I was really surprised to see Astaroth so high up on the list! And it's crazy how much of a dropoff there is from Kilik to Cervantes.

Great article! I was really surprised to see Astaroth so high up on the list! And it's crazy how much of a dropoff there is from Kilik to Cervantes.

I think Astaroth gets a lot of play because cheesing the tower was easiest with him. After 60 floors I guess people got used to playing him and continue to play him online. You'll be surprised how often you'll be able to get away with nothing more than 1[A], B, 22_88B and win online.

Very interesting, JellySalmon. It would be interesting to see if the results changed if you increased the sample size.

As far as Astaroth is concerned, I've heard that noobs like him because 1[A]A and 1[A]B are very effective with lag. I guess it makes sense. Personally, I've never played online because of the lag.

I think Astaroth gets a lot of play because cheesing the tower was easiest with him. After 60 floors I guess people got used to playing him and continue to play him online. You'll be surprised how often you'll be able to get away with nothing more than 1[A], B, 22_88B and win online.

I can beat Astaroth about 3 out of every 10 games, online. Honestly, he's easily the hardest character for me to beat as Xianghua.

Regarding Kilik's popularity--I think some have forgotten how this game appears to those who are new to the fighting genre. The up close short range game seems very fast and confusing. Within a second they're being bashed to the ground and in what appears to be the blink of an eye the rounds over. It's confusing, panic inducing and they don't possess the skills to counter. They feel more comfortable playing the range game b/c it slows down the speed to a point where they have some vision and control over the gameplay. Kilik's A+B line (along with BB) is their tool of choice because it is extremely easy to execute, inexperienced opponents fall for it and it causes substantial damage. As the less dedicated players start falling away I bet Kilik's popularity is going to swiftly decline.

i did a quick study myself a couple weeks ago, only about 2 hrs worth of ranked games, and the results are pretty similar!

I play Cass myself,,,

Talim-1
Rock-1
X-1
Yoshi-1
Taki-1
Voldo-1
Amy-1
Hilde-1
Sieg-2
Tira-2
Raph-2